Your favorite concert openings, enterances ever?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kechefs

SS Decontrol at the Channel started playing a little melodic opening as , like a fool, I got closer to the stage and then all hell broke loose as I barely escaped the pit with my life

Black Flag also at the Channel on the my war tour they always did a instumental before Henry came on stage and we sat and talked to Henry while Black Flag played pretty cool

Soul Asylum at the Middle East accoustic again chatting with Dave as the rest of the band warmed up

I think it would have cool to have been in Berlin to see the gig, even though the gig did not turn out so well.

Correct. I was there and it was a amazing experience. In retrospect the show is pretty poor but I'm glad I went. It was strange as there were so many people from all over the planet gathered in one place.

SS Decontrol at the Channel started playing a little melodic opening as , like a fool, I got closer to the stage and then all hell broke loose as I barely escaped the pit with my life

Black Flag also at the Channel on the my war tour they always did a instumental before Henry came on stage and we sat and talked to Henry while Black Flag played pretty cool

Soul Asylum at the Middle East accoustic again chatting with Dave as the rest of the band warmed up

i would have loved to have seen Black Flag at least once.

Primal Scream, 1995:

"Jailbird"

Not my favorite band, but when they took the stage with that song, they WERE my favorite band, of all time. At least for those 5-6 minutes.

Shakti!! that is bad ass. i'm jealous.

It was amazing. They played in a big church at Emory University. Good venue choice. No concessions, so people weren't constantly getting up to drink and piss like they would have been if it were at an actual music venue. That would have been extremely distracting at a that particular show.

Oh, another one was Uncle Tupelo in 1989.

Thing is, I cannot remember the exact song (I think that it was either "Whiskey Bottle" or "Graveyard Shift"), because I had never heard the band before and was unfamiliar with their songs. But I do remember that my jaw dropped and that my life changed that evening. Literally.

Jeff, if you read this board and remember the set list from Halloween,1989 at the Blue Note (opening for fIREHOSE), could you let me know?

Seriously, it was at that moment that I gave up on trying to be a great guitar player, and began thinking about songwriting.

Ozzy-Diary of a madman tour.

Ozzy is sitting in a throne that rises up from under the stage, smoke, red lights, castle facade........

Musically, nothing makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up like hearing Mike McCready play the first few notes of release...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with a few folks that Aerosmith's opening, with the giant curtain hiding the entire stage, was memorable. Saw it for the first time in '84 when they reunited for the Back in the Saddle tour, and they opened with that song. When the curtain dropped, the place went bonkers.

Other memorable openings:

Bob Dylan at Roseland in NYC in the '90s - opened with Jokerman. He voice sounded so clear you knew it was going to be a great show.

Wilco at Irving Plaza in NYC in 1997 - opened with Misunderstood. First time seeing them, and the first song was raucous.

The Rolling Stones at Foxboro in 1989 - the opening guitar line of Start Me Up is hard to beat for an opener.

I saw Ministry to an acoustic set at the Bridge school that included Lay lady lay, Friend of the devil, and the theme to midnight cowboy. It was just kind of cool seeing them stroll out with acoustic guitars and seeing Neil standing on the side of the stage and watching.

the acoustic openers that bob dylan used to do about 10 years ago. hallelujah i'm ready to go, i am the man thomas, roving gambler, somebody touched me.. ect

yes yes yes!

"duncan and brady", too!!

Number one for me would have to be Judas Priest 1980 British Steel tour. Rob Halford could be heard reaving his Harley back stage as the house lights went down before riding it out to center stage. Getting off, cracking his whip, all the while the band tearing up Hell Bent For Leather.

Sheer ecstasy for a rebellious 16 year old! :rock

A few of my favorites:

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense tour. Most of my concert viewing to that point had been the Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia Band so this gave me a whole new take on a concert performance.

Wilco - summer 2000. Opened with Airline and I was hooked.

Arcade Fire - Funeral tour. Opened with Wake Up and I was floored. They were all singing, even the band members without microphones.

Pixies, the Rat in Boston circa 1988. I had seen them before and liked them but wasn't blown away. Then they came out and opened with with Bone Machine.

Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs. I have seen them do this whole album twice. The opener (Absolutely Cuckoo) is fine but it was more knowing that I have 68 more songs to go (over two nights) that made it great.

I had a similar experience with the Talking Heads in 1985 from their Stop Making Sense tour -- most of my live "concert" experiences were entirely focused on the Grateful Dead and related projects -- that show in Burlington, however, changed everything for me. I think I will play me some right now... Cheers!

No one is a better showman than Springsteen. On his first tour back with the E Street Band in 99 he would send Clarence Clemons out and he would ask the crowd to rise, almost like a church service, then the band would crank it up. It was very moving and an awesome way to kick off a rock show that felt like so much more than just a rock show.

Also, I always liked it when Wilco would open with Wilco (The Song), and at the end they would pause and a voice would inroduce each band member by name. It was an awesome, almost funny, way to introduce the band during a tongue in cheek song.

Number one for me would have to be Judas Priest 1980 British Steel tour. Rob Halford could be heard reaving his Harley back stage as the house lights went down before riding it out to center stage. Getting off, cracking his whip, all the while the band tearing up Hell Bent For Leather.

Sheer ecstasy for a rebellious 16 year old! :rock

Also, I always liked it when Wilco would open with Wilco (The Song), and at the end they would pause and a voice would inroduce each band member by name. It was an awesome, almost funny, way to introduce the band during a tongue in cheek song.

Ahhh the memories of solid sound 2010!!!!