• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you were a captain tied to a mast it would be because your crew has mutinied. And it gets cold at night on the high seas, matey. not to mention lonely if you're the captain and yer crew has just mutinied.

Agreed. He's ocean-water-wet, he's peed himself from fear of the mutiny and also being unable to get to a bathroom. Also he's all wind-lashed. I pity the fool.

if you were a captain tied to a mast it would be because your crew has mutinied. And it gets cold at night on the high seas, matey. not to mention lonely if you're the captain and yer crew has just mutinied.

From the Odyssey, the popular Sirens passage:

"...and now pay attention to what I am about to tell you- heaven itself, indeed, will recall it to your recollection. First you will come to the Sirens who enchant all who come near them. If any one unwarily draws in too close and hears the singing of the Sirens, his wife and children will never welcome him home again, for they sit in a green field and warble him to death with the sweetness of their song. There is a great heap of dead men's bones lying all around, with the flesh still rotting off them. Therefore pass these Sirens by, and stop your men's ears with wax that none of them may hear; but if you like you can listen yourself, for you may get the men to bind you as you stand upright on a cross-piece half way up the mast, and they must lash the rope's ends to the mast itself, that you may have the pleasure of listening. If you beg and pray the men to unloose you, then they must bind you faster."

I don't know about anyone else, but now that I've heard the album a few times this one keeps popping into my head. It's definitely got a dance in your bedroom kind of energy.

Agreed. Am 8+ months pregnant & that's not even keeping me from dancing around my bedroom! Hopefully it won't keep me from the show in 10 days either!!! (Raleigh, NC) Might wind up going into labor at the show from all the excitement & dancing when they play this and quite a few others: Heavy Metal Drummer, Monday, Outtasite, I'm Always in Love, & the list goes on & on & on!

I am loving the entire album but this is definitely a stand out.

what the hell is a cold captain?

It's the captain going down with the ship. With the line that comes before it "I know that I won't be the easiest to set free, and I know that I won't be the last cold captain tied to the mast"

I think it means he won't be the easiest or first to be set free, but he won't be the last, most stubborn...the one who goes down with the ship.

There is something to the psychology of the Illiad here. It has to do with the captain's foresight into the temptation of the sirens. He knew that no one could resist, so he made a preventative measure of having his crew tie him up. It's the part of us that understands ourselves, and makes safeguards against our weaknesses. I think perhaps a degree of this kind of control is necessary for preserving love (?).

I missed the streaming of the album earlier in the month, but I sense you folks have been listening to this since then. Did folks download it from somewhere? I heard the handful of songs they did at SS and the few they have posted and would love to hear some more of this. Any suggestions on where I can get this? (I've already pre-ordered the deluxe set so I'm not looking to screw the band out of their hard-earned dollar). Thanks, George

I missed the streaming of the album earlier in the month, but I sense you folks have been listening to this since then. Did folks download it from somewhere? I heard the handful of songs they did at SS and the few they have posted and would love to hear some more of this. Any suggestions on where I can get this? (I've already pre-ordered the deluxe set so I'm not looking to screw the band out of their hard-earned dollar). Thanks, George

Ten days too long to wait?

I love this song.

I hadn't listened to the stream yet, and heard this song for the first time live at the show the other night. I thought they were doing a rather psychedelic cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "59th Street Bridge Song", and I was pretty pumped. However, it quickly became apparent this song was no cover. I became entranced. The verse harmonies somehow sounded BETTER than Simon and motherfucking Garfunkel.

The moment the "whooooooooooooole love" refrain hits, you know why they named the album after it -- because that hook is fucking amazing. It's Wings, it's Simon and Garfunkel, but most importantly, it's fucking Wilco, and they're kicking ass, albeit in the most beautiful way possible.

"Whooooooooole love" -- I just wish that part of the song would last forever. "Whooooooooole love" -- those precious few seconds, total bliss; a saccharine saturation, musical perfection.

• 4 weeks later...

There is something to the psychology of the Illiad here. It has to do with the captain's foresight into the temptation of the sirens. He knew that no one could resist, so he made a preventative measure of having his crew tie him up. It's the part of us that understands ourselves, and makes safeguards against our weaknesses. I think perhaps a degree of this kind of control is necessary for preserving love (?).

Good post. I thought about ol Odysseus the first time I heard that lyric.

The Homer reference just makes it all the better.

Love love love this song!

I hear tinges of Fleetwood Mac in it, but maybe that's just me.

This CD has been in constant play in my car since it arrived. I got the deluxe edition and have been having so much fun with the main disc that I forgot about the 2nd one!

• 2 weeks later...

A question to people who are more versed than I am, isn't "Art of Almost" the most uncharacteristic song in the album? I explain: it has the most electronica, compared to the other songs which are more accoustic and reflective. In fact, the first opening seconds of Art of Almost reminded me of The King of Limbs.

On the other hand, isn't "Born Alone" the loudest, rockier song in the album? There's a chance I'm wrong with these impressions, reasons why I want to hear from other users here. Thank you for confirming / contradicting this thoughts.

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. Love the song, and I love how it's positioned much like Theologians, with the lyrical climax containing the album title.

I get that. It doesn't sound like "Theologians", but it feels like it. Something like spiritual pop music, or stating some really deep convictions over something you can tap your foot to.

'Spiritual pop music' is exactly what it is. It's chicago meeting the deep south. It's also interesting to compare the 'ghost is born' image to 'i'm a spirit dove.'

I love when the chugging guitar cuts in around 1:42

Hell yes. My favorite part too. It's like the song all of sudden becomes 3D.

My other favorite part is the chord change at 2:44.

Same here! It actually does sound like cold captain, but what the hell is a cold captain?

I interpret it as emotionally cold. As too cool to be swayed by temptation/emotion.

cussin' brilliant.

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. Love the song, and I love how it's positioned much like Theologians, with the lyrical climax containing the album title.

'Spiritual pop music' is exactly what it is. It's chicago meeting the deep south. It's also interesting to compare the 'ghost is born' image to 'i'm a spirit dove.'

Hell yes. My favorite part too. It's like the song all of sudden becomes 3D.

My other favorite part is the chord change at 2:44.

I interpret it as emotionally cold. As too cool to be swayed by temptation/emotion.

cussin' brilliant.

There are all kinds of little aural goodies on this record.

This band is really on a roll here. I would love to see them hit the studio as soon as this tour is over and continue to mine the artistic vein they have hit.