I don't know about anyone else, but now that I've heard the album a few times this one keeps popping into my head. It's definitely got a dance in your bedroom kind of energy. Tweedy has taken a stab at falsetto a few times over the past few records, but I feel like he only just nailed it here.

This one could be really fun live.

"And I know that I won't be

easiest to see

and I know that I won't be the last

cold captain tied to the mast

I'm on the other side

unsatisfied

(?)

I'm lookin for your love."

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Pat's heightened role in the studio is what helped kick this album up a notch. I think the last few albums have been missing the constant collaboration that made Summerteeth/YHF/AGIB so great (with both Jay B and Jim O'rourke). Hopefully this trend continues into the future.

I don't know about anyone else, but now that I've heard the album a few times this one keeps popping into my head. It's definitely got a dance in your bedroom kind of energy. Tweedy has taken a stab at falsetto a few times over the past few records, but I feel like he only just nailed it here.

This one could be really fun live.

easiest to see

This line is:

the easiest to set free"

and I hear this verse as:

"I'm on the other side

oh, I'm satisfied

oh I'm a spirit dove

I'm looking for your love"

The line I'm loving to death right now is this one, which I think I'm hearing correctly:

"I'm simple

as a matter of fact

punch in the nose,

don't overreact"

:lol

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like a song Wings would have done back in the 70's - Helen Wheels or Hi, Hi, Hi - something along those lines. I don't mean I don't like it, but the song just reminds me of Paul McCartney.

Probably my 2nd favorite song on this. Amazed that I saw the live debut of this at Night 1 of Solid Sound. Edit: I always crank it up in the "I'm simple as a matter fact" part.

Anyways, I have a question about the lyrics.

Is it:

"I won't ever forget her"

"I won't ever forget how"

"I won't ever forget...ha"

I swear that in the live version Jeff sings "I won't ever fuck it up!" Either way all 3 (or 4) variations work well within the context of the song.

Lastly, I hear "co-captain" not "cold captain" "tied to the mast".

And every time I hear "past" I always expect Jeff to come back with "last", but he tricks us with "whole love".

Lastly, I hear "co-captain" not "cold captain" "tied to the mast".

Same here! It actually does sound like cold captain, but what the hell is a cold captain? So my money's on co-captain. That's one of many reasons why I'm so looking forward to lyric sheets for this record.