This band is really on a roll here. I would love to see them hit the studio as soon as this tour is over and continue to mine the artistic vein they have hit.

Should be a new thread topic, but I agree. On TWL they seem to have found a new, better balance between a collaborative song writing method (Sky Blue Sky) vs. just being like studio musicians doing awesome overdubs for the songs Jeff brings (W(TA)).

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I give to this record, the more my initial opinions don't hold up. This is a beautiful record, and songs like Black Moon and Rising Red Lung are starting to show themselves. I apologize I was quick to not feel it. Not that i'm apologizing, just took a while, I'm not use to Wilco taking a while

It was really great to hear so many songs off the new record last weekend. I heard many (if not all?) of The Whole Love at Mass MoCA, but this was the first time hearing them live since the record was released. I was at the Metro and Lincoln Hall shows, which i guess make it even better, being at such small venues. I quickly developed a new appreciation and love for this new record. The layers, the depth, and the expressions/passion on Jeff's face during the songs really made a difference. With the exception of Capital City. Sorry-- maybe it will hit me in February.... :dance

...and i am quickly adding another post because I just realized that I have 666 posts. EEK!

Sorry, it's the Filipino Catholic superstition in me that will never fade despite my othwerise scientific,evidence-based ways.

And with this: 667.

It was really great to hear so many songs off the new record last weekend. I heard many (if not all?) of The Whole Love at Mass MoCA, but this was the first time hearing them live since the record was released. I was at the Metro and Lincoln Hall shows, which i guess make it even better, being at such small venues. I quickly developed a new appreciation and love for this new record. The layers, the depth, and the expressions/passion on Jeff's face during the songs really made a difference. With the exception of Capital City. Sorry-- maybe it will hit me in February.... :dance

if you listen to the song while looking at the little dancey smiley it might help (it synchs up with the song)... that's the only song from the whole love that i didn't get to see live! one day....

if you listen to the song while looking at the little dancey smiley it might help (it synchs up with the song)... that's the only song from the whole love that i didn't get to see live! one day....

At first I thought of Capital City as kind of a throw away (let he/she who has not sinned....). No I love the song. Heard it Lyric Opera show and it is a great tension breaker, for lack of a better word. Wilco songs tend to have personal lyrics, and while they likely have a firm meaning for Jeff I like taking them and applying them to myself in one way or another. Capital City has me torn between being the voice of someone who moved to the city and misses his girlfriend or someone who moves, has started a new life, doesn't want her to see his new life, so he will come back home and visit.

Way too in depth for here, and sorry I am boring people, but since it is easy to skip a post no ould be the time if you haven't yet. I went to the University of Chicago and majored in Finance with what they call a strong minor in English lit. Because A UC professor, Norman MacLean, wrote A River Runs Through It, his work was emphasized in the department. Anyway, Capital City reminds me of Norman's wife's brother. HE was a supposed big shot in LA, but always came home because he led his family to believe LA was too sophisticated.

Going back to my thing about my interpretations, I have this complete love of the song because in my twisted world I made it like a Norman's brother in law thing, where the singer is a failure in the big city, trying to big himself up as it were, and has to keep his past life at arms length. Sorry I wasted memory space here but this has been bugging me since I fell in love with the song. I am sick, I know, but Wilco loves me. They said so.

• 2 weeks later...

...and i am quickly adding another post because I just realized that I have 666 posts. EEK!

Sorry, it's the Filipino Catholic superstition in me that will never fade despite my othwerise scientific,evidence-based ways.

And with this: 667.

Superstition and the otherwise Unexplained sure do have a way of trumping scientific, evidence based ways. My Irish Catholic grandmother instilled that in me. ;)

As for the song that is the subject of this thread, it is holding up for me. I listened to it twice in a row on my way home from work today. At first I overlooked Rising Red Lung and Black Moon but now I'm thinking they are two of the most amazing songs on the album. I'm still not getting into Sunloathe, though.

Wilco Get Fashion Boos for 'Whole Love' Video

(Article from Billboard.com)

I can't do the old Fixed It For You trick, because I don't want to mess up the link, but I followed it wondering what the fashion "boos" were all about. Turns out the article refers to fasion "boost." And that's apparently due to Spencer's friend Tavi Gevinson, who is quite the big deal in the world of fashion bloggers/icons/wunderkinds. She appears in Spencer's Whole Love video.

• 3 months later...

I pulled out "The Whole Love" (yeah, that sounds gross) again this week. It's not my favorite Wilco...that would have to be YHF, very closely followed by AGIB. I would have to say though that, top to bottom, TWL may be their most consistent album for me. Every other album I have some very clear favorites, and maybe one or two that are clearly least favorite. This one though...as I'm rolling through it, each track is a great, distinctive song. And as I'm listening to it, could well be my favorite. If you put a gun to my head, I'd probably tell you that I like Open Mind the least...but I still think it's a terrific Jeff Tweedy ballad. If you put a gun to my head and asked for the one I liked the MOST, I'd probably be dead. I couldn't tell you. There's about 10 or 11 co-favorites. That's pretty good...12 songs that I'll glad to listen to, and when they're done...start right over and listen again.

The Whole Love is definitely standing the test of time for me. I continue to believe that from start to finish, this is a masterpiece. Which to me means great songs and great flow to the album as a whole. Too hard for me to compare one album to the other, but I put TWL up in the top pantheon of Wilco studio releases, no doubt.

The Whole Love is definitely standing the test of time for me. I continue to believe that from start to finish, this is a masterpiece. Which to me means great songs and great flow to the album as a whole. Too hard for me to compare one album to the other, but I put TWL up in the top pantheon of Wilco studio releases, no doubt.

I like it quite alot too, but it just came out this year, which hardly qualifies as the "test of time". I find my self humming the songs pretty frequently.

LouieB

I like it quite alot too, but it just came out this year, which hardly qualifies as the "test of time". I find my self humming the songs pretty frequently.

LouieB

I started listening to it over Labor Day weekend when the stream started. About 8 months ago. Now that's not 10 years like YHF, but for me, to still be listening to a studio album and loving it 8 months later is a test of time.

I started listening to it over Labor Day weekend when the stream started. About 8 months ago. Now that's not 10 years like YHF, but for me, to still be listening to a studio album and loving it 8 months later is a test of time.

In a world where 24 hours is a long news cycle i guess 8 months is a long time. Are live albums better than studio albums? Sometimes I am not even sure what we are talking about here. Whole Love is a very good album. YHF is a stunning acheivement and a career defining album for Wilco and has certainly stood the test of time. It will stll be an important and enjoyable album in another 10 years and the songs on it will be requested as long as Wilco is a going concern. Frankly we won't know if the same is true about TWL for a bit more time.

LouieB

In a world where 24 hours is a long news cycle i guess 8 months is a long time. Are live albums better than studio albums? Sometimes I am not even sure what we are talking about here. Whole Love is a very good album. YHF is a stunning acheivement and a career defining album for Wilco and has certainly stood the test of time. It will stll be an important and enjoyable album in another 10 years and the songs on it will be requested as long as Wilco is a going concern. Frankly we won't know if the same is true about TWL for a bit more time.

LouieB

To respond to your question about live albums vs. studio, which I think was in response to my point about still listening to a studio album 8 months later, MY answer would 99.9% of the time be yes. I grew up, and still to this day, a fan of the Dead, Hot Tuna, Allmans, Phish, etc., bands for which the live performance mattered a lot more than what was recorded in a studio, and was often far better. So I am a fan of live music. Most of my Wilco listening is of live shows vs. the studio albums. And it is likely to be considered heretical here, but to me it is the songs of YHF that stand the test of time as performed live on stage, not so much the studio production of those songs.

Funny, that several of you have also played Whole Love recently. I put it in the car CD player about two weeks ago and I haven't taken it out since. I get to listen to a couple of songs both on the way to work and going home and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. I have the more rocking songs in my regular Wilco playlist on the Ipod when I workout but I haven't listened to the slower ballads much since the album came out. I like Sun Loathe much more now than when I first heard it. Can't say the Whole Love album will stand the test of time but I haven't listened to WTA all the way through since the first week it came out. I can still listen to all of AM, Being There,YHF and SBS anytime. Don't know if Whole Love will join that group some day or not. Too early to tell.

Unfortunately, it still drags in the middle with 3 subpar songs right in a row (Born Alone, Open Mind, Capitol City). Those are the only real weak spots on the album...it just sucks that they're clumped together.