Been a slow day at Casa Crow...d-man at work, downtown taking care of some family business...so I thought I would put some thoughts that have been knocking around in my head for a while. Laying it out, because that's what we do here. A bit elevated over navel gazing.

First of all, none of this should be taken as some sort of negative position. (I won't tack imho in front of the statements of opinion here...all this is my opinion.)

Jeff is probably the most lyrical songwriter in the craft to day. It is certainly a matter of opinion and taste, and I won't argue against anybody else's choices; but Jeff is Dylanesque is his ability to craft images that are abstract and concrete; emotional and alienated. He is able to write from a personal standpoint; as a narrator; as an unreliable narrator; as a reporter and as the chaotic, stream of thought poet. There's a little of something for everyone in the lyrical content.

That being said (and firmly believed), it is also apparent to me that, at the very core of the matter, Jeff works best in a collaborative manner when it comes to his music. Wilco's best records have been produced in a collaborative framework...collaborations with significant partners. While it is always Jeff's vision, he shines when he has a partner in crime. Jeff is the troubador poet in his solo outings...not giving a slightly different take on what his band does (like Jay Farrar).

A.M., for all its charms, could have been the fifth Uncle Tupelo record. It's basically Anodyne redux without Jay Farrar's songs. Jeff could have easily followed in the mode of Gary Louris and kept the Uncle Tupelo brand without too much outcry from the fans or the press. (I know the financial reasons why that band continued to be the Jayhawks, but that’s not the point.) While I love AM (as it is my entry point into the music of Jeff Tweedy), it stands alone in the Wilco canon. For better or worse, Jeff has been trying to break the labels and expectations that AM set for the band and for him personally.

Being There and Summerteeth are very obviously children of the collaboration between Jeff and Jay. The sonic landscapes are heavily influenced by Jay, but the songs would simply not work without Jeff's vision. It's Jeff's band, but he found a co-conspirator in his quest to reinvent his sound. Sunken Treasure, Via Chicago and Misunderstood would have still cut to the quick even without the musical quirks, but the musical quirks are what make these songs memorable.

I think if we are really critical and look at the big picture, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot could have been a disaster. It is still leaves me flabbergasted when I read that Jim O'Rourke actually stripped much of Jay's noise collages off of the final mix...and the record company hated THAT version. YHF, as it ended up, is the perfect mix of art and artifice, of melody and noise. However, Jeff was growing uncomfortable in his partnership with Jay. Jeff found a new musical soul mate in Glenn and a kindred spirit in Jim O'Rourke, and he found that he no longer needed Jay's input nor could tolerate his mercurial personality. The scene in I am Trying to Break your heart with the mixing of Heavy Metal Drummer is uncomfortable, but the scene before the show at Grant Park I even more telling. Jay had worn out his welcome and was totally alienated from the rest of the band...and he was unaware and unable to change.

A Ghost is Born is Jeff working in a new role in the band...lead guitarist. Jim was a significant collaborator on AGiB playing, producing and arranging. For my taste, AGiB is Wilco (and Jeff) at its (his) very best. Jeff writing beautiful melodies and lyrics and being egged on as a guitarist and in experimentation by Jim. I expected that Leroy would have assumed a more collaborative relationship for this record, but apparently his muse lay elsewhere.

The addition of Nels and Pat added some real heft to the touring incarnation of the band. From the shows I've heard, the shows in 2004 and 2006 were outrageously energetic and musical. The earlier incarnations of Wilco were certainly capable of producing transcendent musical moments, but there seemed to be a bit of the slapdash in those shows.

Sky Blue Sky and Wilco (The Album) are simply divisive for the fans. The song craft is exceptional on these records, but (from what I can gather) fans here seem to feel let down for one reason or another. In my mind, Wilco (TA) is the stronger of the two records. SBS seemed to be Jeff wanting to recording in the mode of The Band, taking a decided step away from the heavily produced and manipulated songs on the previous two records. SBS has always been a record about SMALL town America; a record about the drama of everyday issues and emotion; a record of acceptance and resignation; a pastoral record. (How many more ways can I say that this is a record about the small personal issues....personal dramas?) And if Jeff had decided to lead off SBS with What Light or Walken, or even Side with Seeds maybe it would have set a different tone for the perception of the record.

I can honestly see why some people hate Wilco (the Album) and some love it. The songs really don't have a recognizable, unifying theme (that I can identify) that the previous records seemed to follow. But the song craft is certainly as good as ever. The way the record was recorded was probably not conducive to much collaboration...the core four recording in New Zealand in an unfamiliar studio with overdubs from Mike and Nels at a later point in time. It was a record of good songs. If Bull Black Nova had been the lead off track for this record, it would have really set a different tone for the proceedings. Pat was more involved in the mixing of this record, stepping up. Jeff recgonizes the strengths of his band mates and really utilizes their talents to the fullest. There are some on here who really seem to have a hard on for Pat. While his role in the band is divisive for some, the way things worked out, he fits the role that Jay filled instrumentally. Leroy, for all his contributions, never seemed to solidify into more than a sideman. This is probably just my perception here, but he left the band at a key moment, apparetnly unwilling to be a road warrior. Nels' addition is the step forward for this band in a musical sense. He adds a weapon that this band never had. He seems to relish the role of the ultimate gun slinging sideman. After he joined the band, I expected some sort of gonzo collaboration between Jeff and Nels, but it became something better. His role was not to be the of- the-wall shredder, yet his role also turned out to be more than the lead guitarist standing around with a plectrum waiting for his turn at a solo.

Having had The Whole Love for a day and being exposed to the stream for a couple of weeks, the production on this record shines. The songs are wonderful, this goes without saying. The production is not as showy as it is on Summerteeth, but more moving to the enhancement of the songs and not a means to an end. Don't take this as a slam on Summerteeth...l absolutely LOVE Summerteeth. It is the one Wilco record that I can honestly say I have loved without reservation from the first listen to right now. But the production values are very apparent on Summerteeth. There is exuberance on Summerteeth that is charming in its Kitchen sink approach. One keyboard overdub is good…six would be better! To my ears, Summerteeth has always been a combination of Smile era Beach Boys and Blonde on Blonde era Dylan. I'll say it again... to think that this band had Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot on its resume and still got dropped from its record company contract is unfathomable to me.

Pat has been given a co-producer's credit on this one,and in a happy convergence of events, the Whole Love is the strongest Wilco record in 10 years. The only difference in this record and W(TA) is the most basic sense is the elevated position of Pat. The baroque, Beatlesque feel for Sunloathe are something this band has never really approached with this amount of proficiency. And the Art of Almost could have easily been a kitchen sink pastiche of all the experimental Wilcotricks; but instead it became a tour de force for the band. On this record the drum sounds bite and are clear, the keyboards ebb and flow beautifully and the guitars crunch where needed and cruise along where warranted.

This Wilco thing keeps getting better and better. This band manages to challenge and soothe on the same record...sometimes in the same song. I feel really, really excited about what is to come with this band. It's ok to look at the past as long as it's over your shoulder as you move forward. And I think Jeff is really excited about the way things are going.

It is still Jeff's band, Jeff's songs, Jeff's vision and Jeff's plan. It always has been, and always will be. However, I think he has found a worthy collaborator for this stage of the band in enhancing his vision and bringing his muse to the fore.

Been a slow day at Casa Crow...d-man at work, downtown taking care of some family business...so I thought I would put some thoughts that have been knocking around in my head for a while. Laying it out, because that's what we do here. A bit elevated over navel gazing.

First of all, none of this should be taken as some sort of negative position. (I won't tack imho in front of the statements of opinion here...all this is my opinion.)

Jeff is probably the most lyrical songwriter in the craft to day. It is certainly a matter of opinion and taste, and I won't argue against anybody else's choices; but Jeff is Dylanesque is his ability to craft images that are abstract and concrete; emotional and alienated. He is able to write from a personal standpoint; as a narrator; as an unreliable narrator; as a reporter and as the chaotic, stream of thought poet. There's a little of something for everyone in the lyrical content.

That being said (and firmly believed), it is also apparent to me that, at the very core of the matter, Jeff works best in a collaborative manner when it comes to his music. Wilco's best records have been produced in a collaborative framework...collaborations with significant partners. While it is always Jeff's vision, he shines when he has a partner in crime. Jeff is the troubador poet in his solo outings...not giving a slightly different take on what his band does (like Jay Farrar).

A.M., for all its charms, could have been the fifth Uncle Tupelo record. It's basically Anodyne redux without Jay Farrar's songs. Jeff could have easily followed in the mode of Gary Louris and kept the Uncle Tupelo brand without too much outcry from the fans or the press. (I know the financial reasons why that band continued to be the Jayhawks, but that’s not the point.) While I love AM (as it is my entry point into the music of Jeff Tweedy), it stands alone in the Wilco canon. For better or worse, Jeff has been trying to break the labels and expectations that AM set for the band and for him personally.

Being There and Summerteeth are very obviously children of the collaboration between Jeff and Jay. The sonic landscapes are heavily influenced by Jay, but the songs would simply not work without Jeff's vision. It's Jeff's band, but he found a co-conspirator in his quest to reinvent his sound. Sunken Treasure, Via Chicago and Misunderstood would have still cut to the quick even without the musical quirks, but the musical quirks are what make these songs memorable.

I think if we are really critical and look at the big picture, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot could have been a disaster. It is still leaves me flabbergasted when I read that Jim O'Rourke actually stripped much of Jay's noise collages off of the final mix...and the record company hated THAT version. YHF, as it ended up, is the perfect mix of art and artifice, of melody and noise. However, Jeff was growing uncomfortable in his partnership with Jay. Jeff found a new musical soul mate in Glenn and a kindred spirit in Jim O'Rourke, and he found that he no longer needed Jay's input nor could tolerate his mercurial personality. The scene in I am Trying to Break your heart with the mixing of Heavy Metal Drummer is uncomfortable, but the scene before the show at Grant Park I even more telling. Jay had worn out his welcome and was totally alienated from the rest of the band...and he was unaware and unable to change.

A Ghost is Born is Jeff working in a new role in the band...lead guitarist. Jim was a significant collaborator on AGiB playing, producing and arranging. For my taste, AGiB is Wilco (and Jeff) at its (his) very best. Jeff writing beautiful melodies and lyrics and being egged on as a guitarist and in experimentation by Jim. I expected that Leroy would have assumed a more collaborative relationship for this record, but apparently his muse lay elsewhere.

The addition of Nels and Pat added some real heft to the touring incarnation of the band. From the shows I've heard, the shows in 2004 and 2006 were outrageously energetic and musical. The earlier incarnations of Wilco were certainly capable of producing transcendent musical moments, but there seemed to be a bit of the slapdash in those shows.

Sky Blue Sky and Wilco (The Album) are simply divisive for the fans. The song craft is exceptional on these records, but (from what I can gather) fans here seem to feel let down for one reason or another. In my mind, Wilco (TA) is the stronger of the two records. SBS seemed to be Jeff wanting to recording in the mode of The Band, taking a decided step away from the heavily produced and manipulated songs on the previous two records. SBS has always been a record about SMALL town America; a record about the drama of everyday issues and emotion; a record of acceptance and resignation; a pastoral record. (How many more ways can I say that this is a record about the small personal issues....personal dramas?) And if Jeff had decided to lead off SBS with What Light or Walken, or even Side with Seeds maybe it would have set a different tone for the perception of the record.

I can honestly see why some people hate Wilco (the Album) and some love it. The songs really don't have a recognizable, unifying theme (that I can identify) that the previous records seemed to follow. But the song craft is certainly as good as ever. The way the record was recorded was probably not conducive to much collaboration...the core four recording in New Zealand in an unfamiliar studio with overdubs from Mike and Nels at a later point in time. It was a record of good songs. If Bull Black Nova had been the lead off track for this record, it would have really set a different tone for the proceedings. Pat was more involved in the mixing of this record, stepping up. Jeff recgonizes the strengths of his band mates and really utilizes their talents to the fullest. There are some on here who really seem to have a hard on for Pat. While his role in the band is divisive for some, the way things worked out, he fits the role that Jay filled instrumentally. Leroy, for all his contributions, never seemed to solidify into more than a sideman. This is probably just my perception here, but he left the band at a key moment, apparetnly unwilling to be a road warrior. Nels' addition is the step forward for this band in a musical sense. He adds a weapon that this band never had. He seems to relish the role of the ultimate gun slinging sideman. After he joined the band, I expected some sort of gonzo collaboration between Jeff and Nels, but it became something better. His role was not to be the of- the-wall shredder, yet his role also turned out to be more than the lead guitarist standing around with a plectrum waiting for his turn at a solo.

Having had The Whole Love for a day and being exposed to the stream for a couple of weeks, the production on this record shines. The songs are wonderful, this goes without saying. The production is not as showy as it is on Summerteeth, but more moving to the enhancement of the songs and not a means to an end. Don't take this as a slam on Summerteeth...l absolutely LOVE Summerteeth. It is the one Wilco record that I can honestly say I have loved without reservation from the first listen to right now. But the production values are very apparent on Summerteeth. There is exuberance on Summerteeth that is charming in its Kitchen sink approach. One keyboard overdub is good…six would be better! To my ears, Summerteeth has always been a combination of Smile era Beach Boys and Blonde on Blonde era Dylan. I'll say it again... to think that this band had Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot on its resume and still got dropped from its record company contract is unfathomable to me.

Pat has been given a co-producer's credit on this one,and in a happy convergence of events, the Whole Love is the strongest Wilco record in 10 years. The only difference in this record and W(TA) is the most basic sense is the elevated position of Pat. The baroque, Beatlesque feel for Sunloathe are something this band has never really approached with this amount of proficiency. And the Art of Almost could have easily been a kitchen sink pastiche of all the experimental Wilcotricks; but instead it became a tour de force for the band. On this record the drum sounds bite and are clear, the keyboards ebb and flow beautifully and the guitars crunch where needed and cruise along where warranted.

This Wilco thing keeps getting better and better. This band manages to challenge and soothe on the same record...sometimes in the same song. I feel really, really excited about what is to come with this band. It's ok to look at the past as long as it's over your shoulder as you move forward. And I think Jeff is really excited about the way things are going.

It is still Jeff's band, Jeff's songs, Jeff's vision and Jeff's plan. It always has been, and always will be. However, I think he has found a worthy collaborator for this stage of the band in enhancing his vision and bringing his muse to the fore.

I can't find fault with this. I love The Whole Love, but the thing that hit me the most was the comment that you were stunned YHF was stripped by O'Rourke. I honestly thought those were his sounds, and a raw, almost accoustic album, was fuzzed up by a master. And I still believe that this is the Wilco version of the Brian Wilson vision of Smile. This album is a celebration, a sort of sonic smile to rely upon after the sonic shoulder to cry on, and when I listen to the album again this post will resonate in my head. Thanks for a well thought out jaunt down Wilco way.

Very well done Crow. I could not add to or disagree with any of that. Well, maybe add one comment re: the production values of The Whole Love, that the sound of John' bass in the mix is fabulous (as is the playing of course).

I am really pleased at how everyone shines on this one. John has reall come into his own.

i enjoyed reading your exposition, crow. i also agree that everyone does shine on this one. to the experienced ear, you can hear each band member's fingerprints on each track. more so, i think, than on any other album. i dig that.

this, the whole love, is most definitely the product of the band.

I find it so very refreshing and invigorating to be in love with a band after 16 years of loving them. Only a music fan can appreciate the unabashed joy that comes from hearing a favorite band's music.

In my 51 years, I have had several artists I avidly follow: Ryan Adams, U2, Drive by Truckers, Pearl Jam, Dylan. But there are only a bare handful that I truly love: The Beatles (although they probably really don't count because they exist on another plane of musical existence), Springsteen and Wilco. Springsteen has become a figure of past glory and reflection...but Wilco is vibrant and alive.

Wilco never ceases to amaze me. As I have said before, and will say again...this band always seems to make the record I NEED to hear.

I'm 51 years old...to old to be gushing over a indie band. Too old to be posting paens to the music of any band. I sometimes feel like the protaginist of Nick Hornsby's JULIET NAKED.

It has been a great joy to me to be able to share my love of this band with my son.

Interestingly enough, we both independently requested THE THANKS I GET for the Dallas show.

Guest McGuffin

You don't like to read? Cool.

Where did I say that? Nowhere. Reading comprehension is your friend.

I like to pick and choose my reading material judiciously. The OP just happens to miss the cut.

That is all.

Guest McGuffin

Then why are you writing in this thread...?

I post here because I like Wilco. It's not rocket science.

I opened the thread out of curiosity and saw the OP was going to be War and Peace, so I stopped reading. I pick and choose my reading. I hope that's okay with you. :wave

It's an opinion board. Look at it this way: I bumped this up so others could read it. Win!

I would fully agree with the well-thought arguments here as to Wilco's history. I've never understood why the haters came out so strongly on WTA or SBS when the songwriting was so good. Everlastiing was a wonderful way to close out the record and is one of my favourite songs from the album. ``Wilco (The Song)'' is just a goof, a fun way to kick things off - certainly it isn't on par with Jesus Etc but the overall weight of the Wilco Project must sometimes get too heavy to bear and so a little fun was in order. SBS is probably my least favourite of all the records, simply because I was expecting an extension of AGIB and instead got John Wesley Harding meets Harvest and consequently spent a lot of time trying to adjust.

From the latest, I am diligently working on all the songs with only Red Lung not really rising on me yet.....sure hope some of the ``other'' material eventually surfaces for us to hear.

i enjoyed reading your exposition, crow. i also agree that everyone does shine on this one. to the experienced ear, you can hear each band member's fingerprints on each track. more so, i think, than on any other album. i dig that.

this, the whole love, is most definitely the product of the band.

I can hear that "fingerprint" thing too. I think it's more natural and relaxed this time as well. Especially John's bass lines. But everybody, really.

I was listening to You Are My Face the other day, and you can also hear everyone on that song too. But it feels a lot more forced, like everyone is trying to get in the picture somehow. Like picture day at the all star game. It just didn't work as well on SBS or WTA as it does on this record.

I would fully agree with the well-thought arguments here as to Wilco's history. I've never understood why the haters came out so strongly on WTA or SBS when the songwriting was so good. Everlastiing was a wonderful way to close out the record and is one of my favourite songs from the album. ``Wilco (The Song)'' is just a goof, a fun way to kick things off - certainly it isn't on par with Jesus Etc but the overall weight of the Wilco Project must sometimes get too heavy to bear and so a little fun was in order. SBS is probably my least favourite of all the records, simply because I was expecting an extension of AGIB and instead got John Wesley Harding meets Harvest and consequently spent a lot of time trying to adjust.

From the latest, I am diligently working on all the songs with only Red Lung not really rising on me yet.....sure hope some of the ``other'' material eventually surfaces for us to hear.

I think you have discoveed the motivation that moves Jeff Tweedy. He isn't looking to make the record that is expected of him, he's looking to make the record he wants to make.

I can understand why some would bail out on a post like this one, but this is exactly why I come to boards like these. When I get a new obsession I like to talk about it. And feedback like "YHF rulz!" and "Wilco sucks!"...the norm on some sites...don't cut it. Almost all the comments on this site are useful, but it's still nice to see a brain dump from someone who loves the band as much as I do. Good post Crow!

Sheesh. I assume that basically said he likes Wilco. I'm not about to start reading all of that.

Vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting and an Intelligentsia.

Interesting that you use the term 'intelligentsia'...I had originally used it, but I dropped it because I found it to be too pretentious.

Somehow, I find it fitting that you used the term.

I post here because I like Wilco. It's not rocket science.

I opened the thread out of curiosity and saw the OP was going to be War and Peace, so I stopped reading. I pick and choose my reading. I hope that's okay with you. :wave

It's an opinion board. Look at it this way: I bumped this up so others could read it. Win!

I still don't understand why you felt the need to comment. However, all of your comments that I've seen are negative to some degree.