Song requests for concerts

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've requested Magazine Called Sunset at about 6 different shows. Once I stuffed the ballot box and voted for it about 60 times. It was the most requested song for that show.

I have never seen Magazine Called Sunset performed live. Wilco HATES me!

..it sucks live (JK)

Actually Cars Can't Escape was kind of disappointing

There ought to be other show menu items to request on their website in addition to songs. Jeff with or without glasses? Suit jacket or denim jacket? Band with beards or clean shaven? Banter level: light, medium or heavy? Hair wild or relatively tame? ;-)

I'm thinking this should happen on a per song basis too. I mean other pop stars do costume changes don't they? Windmills or duckwalk. Stick twirls or stand-up drumming. Nudie Suits or nude

There ought to be other show menu items to request on their website in addition to songs. Jeff with or without glasses? Suit jacket or denim jacket? Band with beards or clean shaven? Banter level: light, medium or heavy? Hair wild or relatively tame? ;-)

speaking of the 'hair' issue...I am surprised Sue hasn't laid down the law on Jeff. Chicago has got to have professionals who could give him a reasonable haircut.

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like the whole "stuff the ballot box" approach backfired, as we got neither Kingpin nor It's Just That Simple, but somebody who requested Less Than You Think was obliged and its fairly likely he or she was the only one who made that request. As I imagined, when it comes to the song request thing, they pretty much do what ever the hell they please regardless of how many votes a song gets. Maybe stuffing the ballot box pissed them off. Maybe they aren't that contrary, I don't really know. Thoughts?

Yeah, Shug, I was thinking the same thing. I was really rooting for Kingpin because I don't think I've ever heard that played live, and I knew I was going to be up close and wanted to inspect Jeff's tonsils during the scream. I also am beginning to wonder whether much attention is paid to the requests. What I'll bet really happens is that they make up their setlist, then someone tells them what's been requested for a given show, and assuming something that's already on the setlist is also on the request list, Jeff might mention that a particular song was a request. At least for these recent and upcoming shows promoting the new album, I suspect that's how it works.

For special events like Solid Sound and maybe Tweedy solo shows, they probably do pay more attention to the requests.

*guilty* Sorry folks, I didn't see this thread till just now... Mr. Dive + a friend put in Late Greats for night 2 in Nashville (I went for 32" High with Nick Lowe) and they did play it, on top of Box Full of Letters, my request from Night 1.

I gotta think it's just the mood they're in, because I know I can't request something like Airline to Heaven or My Flying Saucer and expect to hear it...(MA 1 & 2 are among my favorite albums of all time ever and the only song they ever play is California Stars since Hoodoo Voodoo got rotated out. Not awful, but IMO not the best from those discs...) So maybe it's just a question of requesting something they've played within the last few weeks? Just some $.02.

I too LOVE the Mermaid songs. I'm gonna request Blood Of The Lamb and Another Man's Done Gone for a December show...though I won't expect them to be played.

Kind of off topic, but I'm holding out hope that they break out an off-the-wall cover in December. They used to playe Led Zeppelin and other classic songs in the early days. And fairly recently they did Band and Thunderclap Newman.

The Whole Love reminds a LOT of McCartney. I'd soil my trousers if they busted out "Hi, Hi, Hi" or "Uncle Albert" one of these nights. How freakin' cool would that be?!

So it looks like the whole "stuff the ballot box" approach backfired, as we got neither Kingpin nor It's Just That Simple, but somebody who requested Less Than You Think was obliged and its fairly likely he or she was the only one who made that request. As I imagined, when it comes to the song request thing, they pretty much do what ever the hell they please regardless of how many votes a song gets. Maybe stuffing the ballot box pissed them off. Maybe they aren't that contrary, I don't really know. Thoughts?

I remember back in late 2009, somebody stuffed the box with a "Just a kid" request and they played it, but i feel like that doesn't always work. I know ballot box stuffing also helped get "Magazine Called Sunset" and "Cars Can't Escape" played at the first solid sound, but that's also probably because it was their own festival and they were catering to the die-hards. Sometimes they seem to pay very close attention, and others they seem to pay little to none.

I gotta think it's just the mood they're in, because I know I can't request something like Airline to Heaven or My Flying Saucer and expect to hear it...(MA 1 & 2 are among my favorite albums of all time ever and the only song they ever play is California Stars since Hoodoo Voodoo got rotated out. Not awful, but IMO not the best from those discs...) So maybe it's just a question of requesting something they've played within the last few weeks? Just some $.02.

Well, I requested "Less Than You Think" for Ryman night 2, never expecting that they'd play it, and they opened with it, nearly causing me to fall out of the balcony. Whether they played it in response to my request, or it was just a happy coincidence, I couldn't have been happier than I was that night. Of course I'll always try to convince myself that they played it for me!

• 10 months later...

In the new web page, there seems to be no way that I can effectively request they play 'Far Far Away', or anything else, when they come Spain this autumn, the request keeps 'frozen' ad aeternum. Wilco webmaster, please fix that.

• 5 weeks later...