Wilco - 10/1/11 Ryman Auditorium

Here's the set list I wrote down. As always, stuff between quotations are memorable banter

One Sunday Morning

Poor Places

Art of Almost

I Might

I am trying to break your heart

One wing

Bull black nova

Rising red lung

Impossible germany

Shouldn't be ashamed

"Wilco will play everywhere, eventually!"

Handshake drugs

Standing O

Jesus, etc

Born alone (dedicated to billy)

"Can we give more??"

War on war

Dawned on me

Shot in the arm

------

Whole love

36 inches (with Nick Lowe) - thanks for the help on this one

I love my label (with Nick Lowe)

"He wrote that song so we could sing it!"

Box full of letters

Walkin'

I'm the man who loves you

Monday

Outtasiteouttamind

"See you tomorrow night!"

Is this the first time One Sunday Morning was the opener? I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's seen a few shows this leg how it felt as an opener vs. being elsewhere in the set. (Geez, P--just when I could actually use you...)

It's interesting to see what "oldies" make the setlists as the Wilco catalog grows. We're bringing a couple of friends to their first Wilco show on Wednesday, and it's exciting to think about what will make the cut outside of the new stuff and some of the standards.

I'm curious when Wilco's set begins at these Ryman shows. I'm going Sunday, but I've got family obligations that evening, so I'm hoping Wilco doesn't hit the stage 'til 9p or so. How long has Nick Lowe's opening set typically been?

Wilco went on around 9:10 and ended about two hours later. Nick was about a half hour. I actually caught the first period of the Predators game before heading over - probably could have caught the first two.

Best show I have ever seen. Ryman crowds can be somewhat stiff. I wish the people in the balcony had not spent the first hour sitting, but they eventually came around. By midway through the set, the crowd was very into it and Jeff seemed to be having a great time and really enjoying the crowd. All in all, the crowd was excellent----Jeff even said so.

I don't know that they have done 8 songs off the new album at any show yet. Poor Places was a great treat. Also, 2 songs from A.M. and 2 songs from Being There. (I love Monday and Outtasite as the closer). The performance of Shot in the Arm was amazing. The crowd kind of took over screaming the lyrics and Jeff let us and smiled the whole time. I wish they would have done Via Chicago because it is so good live. Oh well, I will be there tonight and keep my fingers crossed that I hear it.

Is this the first time One Sunday Morning was the opener? I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's seen a few shows this leg how it felt as an opener vs. being elsewhere in the set. (Geez, P--just when I could actually use you...)

Sorry, sorry! I can attest to OSM as opener versus mid-set, though. I really like it as an opener, especially when it flows into AoA and I Might. Just something about that sequencing reminds me of Poor Places>Reservations>IATTBYH (though I'm not sure if that's ever actually happened).

I think OSM as opener in a theater setting, especially, works really well because as someone else has mentioned, it forces the audience to pay attention right away and get focused on the show. I think mid-set does create a lull sometimes, though I think when it's followed by Shouldn't Be Ashamed, it's a perfect segue, both thematically and in terms of the chronology of the band. I still think it retains more of its power when not played every night, but I obviously understand why they're doing so now.

Anyway, those are a few of my thoughts on the matter. Would be interesting to see how it feels as a main set closer; I don't think I've personally seen that yet.

I loved the show last night. The Ryman always looks, sounds, and just feels great. I've only seen One Sunday Morning as an opener, but I thought that was a really good position for it. And One Sunday Morning > Poor Places > Art of Almost was such a great combo. The photographers lucked out with songs 1-3 last night! It was kind of funny when I realized almost 25 minutes had passed and we were just three songs in.

Seeing Nick Lowe up there with Wilco was a real treat. Everyone looked so happy. Hearing Jeff and Nick sing I Love My Label together was very cool.

- love to get a poster from last night if anyone can hook up. Will be there tonight early enough to trade/buy extra

- saw them in ATL, and they opened with Art of Almost, which lit up the crowd. One Sunday Morning was late into set, and I personally thought it was more awesome later than earlier.

- a fantastic play list at Ryman day 1; a few I had never heard and will have to do some searching for

- did anyone else think Nel's sound was a bit low ( I know that is hard to believe)?

- don't get me wrong, it was a reverent venue, but my wife and I were on the floor in the back and I would love to move up to the balcony tonight (got 4 in Section 4 row V tonight). My buddy hooked up in 2rd row stage right last night from some dedicated Milwaukee fans we met at Family Wash (props BTW), and obviously loved the view.

- the scene at Family Wash on friday night was surreal, and a great way to start the weekend. It was kinda like lurking on a private party of 100 of Wilco's friends in a neighborhood bar you had to search out to find. Pat & John were fantastic, and Glenn sat in for a few songs, with Mikael hanging in the crowd. Pat laughed and said he was intimidated by the players in the crowd. If only I had a clue . . .

- did anyone else think Nel's sound was a bit low ( I know that is hard to believe)?

My buddy hooked up in 2rd row stage right last night from some dedicated Milwaukee fans we met at Family Wash (props BTW), and obviously loved the view.

On Nels: I had the same thoughts. Especially during the key Nels moments (Art of Almost, Handshake Drugs), yet Impossible Germany sounded fine. Granted, I was on the other side of the stage--an additional dedicated Milwaukee fan in that row not at Family Wash--so it could just be the lateral mix.

My first Wilco show last night and just wanted to say thanks to the band and the crowd and the Ryman staff. I couldn't have been happier when it was all said and done. The band was hot. Everyone looked to be at the top of their game and I think the crowd was able to feed off that. The momentum of the show just seemed to snowball to the fantastic encore set.

I meet the nicest fans around me. It was a very comfortable crowd. Relaxed, happy folks to be around.

The staff was also friendly and inviting.

Already trying to formulate a plan to attend Soild Sound next summer.

What a great venue! First time for me to be at the Ryman, and it's a really intimate place. Very compact in a lot of ways. Hard to describe. The crowd was great. The main floor was standing pretty much the whole time. No talkers in my vicinity, and no "sit down" whiners!! Bless you all... and feel free to stand around us again tonight. The new songs sounded terrific. The encore set was a nice set of rockers which was a ton of fun.

No nudie suits, but Jeff was sporting a nice little hat.

I thought the sound was a little low early in the show, but get where it needed to be about halfway through. Vocals were mixed really well. The lights and fog are a little much for a Wilco show, really. I could do with a little less of that.

I don't know who the Lexington crowd was down in the front row (not us, btw), but I would be thrilled if the band takes them up on their offer and comes to my hometown. I'm not up for the Antarctica show in 2014, but I think tickets should be easier to get.

Hoping for Via Chicago and It's Just That Simple tonight. John needs to sing a song in Nashville!!

What a great venue! First time for me to be at the Ryman, and it's a really intimate place. Very compact in a lot of ways. Hard to describe. The crowd was great. The main floor was standing pretty much the whole time. No talkers in my vicinity, and no "sit down" whiners!! Bless you all... and feel free to stand around us again tonight. The new songs sounded terrific. The encore set was a nice set of rockers which was a ton of fun.

No nudie suits, but Jeff was sporting a nice little hat.

I thought the sound was a little low early in the show, but get where it needed to be about halfway through. Vocals were mixed really well. The lights and fog are a little much for a Wilco show, really. I could do with a little less of that.

I don't know who the Lexington crowd was down in the front row (not us, btw), but I would be thrilled if the band takes them up on their offer and comes to my hometown. I'm not up for the Antarctica show in 2014, but I think tickets should be easier to get.

Hoping for Via Chicago and It's Just That Simple tonight. John needs to sing a song in Nashville!!

Indeed, what an incredible night. It was a pleasure talking with you before the show, too.

Re: Jeff's hat - Mary immediately said, "Nashville Skyline." Yup.

- don't get me wrong, it was a reverent venue, but my wife and I were on the floor in the back and I would love to move up to the balcony tonight (got 4 in Section 4 row V tonight). My buddy hooked up in 2rd row stage right last night from some dedicated Milwaukee fans we met at Family Wash (props BTW), and obviously loved the view.

- the scene at Family Wash on friday night was surreal, and a great way to start the weekend. It was kinda like lurking on a private party of 100 of Wilco's friends in a neighborhood bar you had to search out to find. Pat & John were fantastic, and Glenn sat in for a few songs, with Mikael hanging in the crowd. Pat laughed and said he was intimidated by the players in the crowd. If only I had a clue . . .

Pleasure to have met you...glad we could provide our extra ticket to your friend Saturday night. He was as slackjawed as we were. My 6th Wilco show, by far the most memorable one because of the venue and our pew 6 feet from the stage. Mind melting stuff. Getting into Family Wash on Friday was an unexpected bonus...I'm still processing that one..."Sentimental Lady" and the Big Star cover were perfect cappers to all the great Autumn Defense songs.

That Pat Sansone is one tasty guitar player...loved Tweedy's Rickenbacker 360...loved "Box Full of Letters" in the encore...loved how many people we met at the show who, like us, had flown in for the weekend...hated the fact that the posters were sold out before I could get one.

Finally getting to see a show at the Ryman (with Wilco and Nick Lowe, no less) was worth the hectic weekend. We have some lovely venues here in Milwaukee where I live (come see a show at the Pabst Theater some time) but the Ryman...damn...that's the difference between going to a church and going to a cathedral.