I can only think of 5 Wilco songs that I'd say "I do not like":

- Shake It Off

- Walken

- Hate It Here

- You Never Know

- Sonny Feeling

I don't dislike any of those. Although none of them are near my favorites list. Plus, my daughter loves "You Never Know," so the chance to hear her sing it makes it a song I play often. And "Sonny Feeling" and "Deeper Down" are two of my favorites from WTA.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never tell a Wilco fan what songs to like or dislike, but the love and number of posts on this thread dedicated to The Lonely 1 is a bit baffling to me. There is no question I believe it should be left off BT, never requested in concert and generally forgotten.

This is crazy talk.

And I've just gotta say that Hotel Arizona is maybe the coolest-sounding song in the Wilco catalogue. I NEVER tire of hearing the jam-out after the last vocal...amazing.

Sanity restored to the board!

The Lonely 1 is outstanding. I love that it puts Being There on pause for a moment, creates just enough of a rest and offers a beautiful change of pace before the explosion that is Dreamer in My Dreams. The set from the KFOG radio session in 1997 has a lovely version of the tune with some nice piano work from Jay Bennett and some nice brush work on the drums from Ken Coomer.

Thanks for pointing out that version. It really is quite lovely, as is the show's next track, "Far, Far Away".

Back to Being There: Hey! An old demo of Monday with some very bad lyrics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGfpnr0prtU&feature=related

Wow, I'd never heard that before. I clicked on honestly expecting it to be the slow version of Monday from the second DVD in the I'm Trying To Break Your Heart documentary, but that demo does sound pretty legit. Hope more like it will surface one day.

It's from a Summeteeth bonus disc called "and sum aren't".

1. I Must Be High

2. Pick Up The Change

3. Passenger Side

4. Monday (Demo Version)

5. I Got You (At The End Of The Century)

6. Hotel Arizona

7. Outtasite (Outta Mind) - Live

8. Someone Else's Song

9. Red Eyed And Blue - Live

10. Box Full Of Letters - Live

11. Why Would You Wanna - Live

12. Forget The Flowers - Live

13. The Lonely 1

14. Sunken Treasure - Live

15. At My Window Sad And Lonely

16. Blasting Fonda - non album track

It's from a Summeteeth bonus disc called "and sum aren't".

'Bonus disc'? Is it commercially available?

(I have a lot of the stuff on a boot titled "Rare Tweedy"

I enjoy Deeper Down through my headphones. Live, it was a complete show stopper, and I don't mean that in the good sense.

Back to Being There: Hey! An old demo of Monday with some very bad lyrics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGfpnr0prtU&feature=related

Same lyrics I think...first and second verses reversed

It's probably out there in FLAC somewhere. I saw a copy on Ebay for 150 bucks. That is insane.

well...as I just picked it up from the link williamblanda posted, I don't think I'll be spending $150.

Did you also get a JustHookup.com popup ad too?

Well, I guess my Saturday night is all set now.

Score...

Next on the list is the All Over The Place EP. One hundred buckaroo's on eBay, no thanks. Not even for the "white hen" version of The Lonely 1.

I listened to disc 1 last night, and disc 2 this morning. Disc 1 is far and away the best of the two, the 2nd disc is far too patchy imo. Its not crap by any means, just think that they could have added sunken treasure, someday soon, the lonely 1 and maybe dreamer in my dreams and given us a wonderful single disc album.

I understand the view that double albums should be respected in their entirety, but I also find it fun to whittle down even the ones I love to a tight single disc with a new running order. Here's my first stab at a single disc version of Being There. I considered putting Sunken Treasure as the album closer, it does make a nice final statement and sets a reflective mood for the send off, but it also sounds good in the middle of the record, I think. I like to open a record with a couple strong rockers, but its hard to not hear Monday and Outtasite at the end like at so many concerts. Its just an exercise in fun, anyway, not to be taken too seriously.

Monday

Outtasite Outta Mind

Misunderstood

Red Eyed and Blue

I Got You

Far Far Away

Say You Miss Me

Sunken Treasure

Hotel Arizona

Kingpin

Dreamer In My Dreams

Mostly the same - listen a little closer. There are a few subtle differences, including "momma just-a give me a break" after the lyric about cutting class, and "sittin' on the dock of the bay" at the end.

I wouldn't dare second guess a guy named 'choo-choo-charlie'.

I understand the view that double albums should be respected in their entirety, but I also find it fun to whittle down even the ones I love to a tight single disc with a new running order. Here's my first stab at a single disc version of Being There. I considered putting Sunken Treasure as the album closer, it does make a nice final statement and sets a reflective mood for the send off, but it also sounds good in the middle of the record, I think. I like to open a record with a couple strong rockers, but its hard to not hear Monday and Outtasite at the end like at so many concerts. Its just an exercise in fun, anyway, not to be taken too seriously.

Monday

Outtasite Outta Mind

Misunderstood

Red Eyed and Blue

I Got You

Far Far Away

Say You Miss Me

Sunken Treasure

Hotel Arizona

Kingpin

Dreamer In My Dreams

Good selections, but I feel like Misunderstood has to go into Far Far Away.

--Mike