Best Closer

89 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best closing song of Wilco's studio albums?

• Too Far Apart
    • Dreamer In My Dreams
    • Reservations
    • The Late Greats
    • On And On And On
    • Everlasting Everything
    • One Sunday Morning
    • In A Future Age

Great topic!

Is there also a thread for best closing song? Who would like to start it? :-)

I voted I Am Trying to Break Your Heart in the Best Opener thread. The poll is for the studio albums, not their live shows!

I was debating putting Say You Miss Me in here, even though it's not a true closer... oh well.

I think eventually I will swing to One Sunday Morning but Reservations has it all. It is such a beautiful contrast to I am Trying To Break Your Heart that it completes YHF. It is the Wilco version of Caroline No in my eyes. I think One Sunday Morning is a better song, but if you look at YHF as a book, Reservations ties it up so well that I can't foresake it. Hate to veer a bit but I think the best closing song on a Tweedy project of all time would be No Sense in Lovin from Anodyne. It isn't the last song on the album, but it is the last song I will listen to on the album, and is like the best preview, maybe Easter Egg, that I have ever heard.

Totally schizo, I agree, but it is like asking me to name my favorite albums. I get so caught up in Rubber Soul v. Revolver that in the end I think Pet Sounds prevails. Piss poor logic I am sure but Wilco is why I still listen to music.

By the way, great diversion topic for a Saturday night. Thanks. Bogged down in work and this is the perfect F that, I have something important to think about topic.

Reservations makes me think of standing on a dock in a cold foggy morning - listening to the tugboats & fishing boats bang up against the dock - while expressing some very beautiful words to someone you love. Sort of a morning after from the madness of the night before as felt in Poor Places. Kind of like the end of a movie. Then the noise at the end reminds me a leaving a theatre after listening to a film or concert and finally the ringing sound in your ears as you walk out back into world.. Sorry to wax poetic - too many beers tonight.

(looks around) Did you purposefully leave off In A Future Age because of the Candyfloss/A Shot In The Arm ending on that album?

That's the problem with Summerteeth...it has a slapdash ending. What is the point of the inclusion of different version of A Shot in the Arm, much less having it close the record? And the half hearted inclusion of Candyfloss (after the 'silence' track) really cheapens the song.

I've always thought Summerteeth would have been better served by leading off with Candyfloss and closing with In a Future Age.

Summerteeth was chock full of nicely presented, really good pop songs. There's no reason there couldn't have been at least two, possibly three singles off of it. But then again, with the state of mind the band was in at the time, things might have taken a really dark turn.

And actually...One Sunday Morning isn't exactly the Closer of TWL. Don't forget about Sometimes it Happens.

But if still gets my vote.

(looks around) Did you purposefully leave off In A Future Age because of the Candyfloss/A Shot In The Arm ending on that album?

....shit.

I left it off accidentally because I am an idiot and don't deserve to be a Wilco fan.

Edited. Really sorry guys.

7 people actually voted for The Late Greats? :worried

I would not vote for the Late Greats in this poll but I will say that it was one of my favorite live closers. It was the encore at the Newport Folk Festival in 2004 and it was a perfect ending to a great show. Whenever I think of that show I think of people filing towards the parking lot humming/singing that song.

In a Future Age, with Reservations a close second.

Future Age has a message of coming to terms with life, letting go and realizing that we all are just part of a larger picture. After the tumultuous themes in the songs that precede it, especially in the first half or so of the album, it gives a bittersweet sense of resignation, yet acceptance that comes fairly close to making it a happy ending.

I would not vote for the Late Greats in this poll but I will say that it was one of my favorite live closers. It was the encore at the Newport Folk Festival in 2004 and it was a perfect ending to a great show. Whenever I think of that show I think of people filing towards the parking lot humming/singing that song.

Interesting how some songs make ideal closers yet aren't, or wouldn't, on the albums. Above was mentioned Say You Miss Me, which was a perfect conclusion to the last show of the YHF tour.

One Sunday Morning, pretty easily. I'm not sure where the album will wind up on my final list, but I have no doubt that this song is an all-timer. Or that I'll find it a better song than any of these contenders.

BTW...if I'd made this list, I guess I would have caught serious hell. Because I always view Candyfloss as the last song on Summerteeth. I never listen to that second Shot in the Arm. How different is that version anyway?

In a Future Age, with Reservations a close second.

Future Age has a message of coming to terms with life, letting go and realizing that we all are just part of a larger picture. After the tumultuous themes in the songs that precede it, especially in the first half or so of the album, it gives a bittersweet sense of resignation, yet acceptance that comes fairly close to making it a happy ending.

But because of the stupid arrangement of the record, In a Future Age doesn't close Summerteeth.

It should.

But it doesn't.

Geez...I'm becoming a Lawyer ball kinda guy

That's the problem with Summerteeth...it has a slapdash ending. What is the point of the inclusion of different version of A Shot in the Arm, much less having it close the record? And the half hearted inclusion of Candyfloss (after the 'silence' track) really cheapens the song.

I've always thought Summerteeth would have been better served by leading off with Candyfloss and closing with In a Future Age.

Summerteeth was chock full of nicely presented, really good pop songs. There's no reason there couldn't have been at least two, possibly three singles off of it. But then again, with the state of mind the band was in at the time, things might have taken a really dark turn.

And actually...One Sunday Morning isn't exactly the Closer of TWL. Don't forget about Sometimes it Happens.

But if still gets my vote.

But because of the stupid arrangement of the record, In a Future Age doesn't close Summerteeth.

It should.

But it doesn't.

Geez...I'm have become THAT guy.

I don't count Candyfloss/A Shot in the Arm as Summerteeth proper personally, I feel like that album ends with In A Future Age. The extra stuff on CD I view as bonus tracks as I would with a re-issue. Candyfloss is a great extra cut, and the A Shot in the Arm remix is interesting, it's more of a curiosity than an improvement on the actual track, but it's cool to have.

--Mike

Really tempted to vote for OSM, but I think it might just be current infatuation talking. Reservations gets my vote... for now, at least.

As good as Reservations is as a song, and as important as YHF is, I think One Sunday Morning may well be a game changer for this band.

In choosing which song to vote for is everybody just picking their favourite song of these 8 choices? Or is there something more to being a closing song on an album. Are any of these songs favourites from their respective albums?

Wat i rekon;

Reservations, On and on and on, In a future age and Everlasting everything are all pretty similar songs in that they seem like they were written as album closers and they all have a similar emotional tone. One sunday morning also seems a natural choice for an album ender. I can't really picture it anywhere else on the record. The late greats seems like the last song you would put last on a record, I believe it works as an album closer only because of the preceding noise. Great song though the album would still be fine without it. Dreamer...I like it and it's certainly not a predictable way to go out. Too far apart is my favourite track on A.M so I voted for that.