• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My prediction is Gomie, as he was given the chance to appear on Talking Bad at 11:00. :lol

But I have been wrong before already. I really like the fact that the twists and turns do not seem contrived at all to me, e.g., Walt being surprised by Jesse being a rat makes sense to me, because Walt doesn't see Jesse from the perspective we do.

I never thought Gilligan would stoop to the sort of  'thousands of bullets and nobody gets shot' formulaic tv crap. This really didn't ring true.

Unless the cavalry comes riding over this hill, I don't see how Hank and Gomie make it out alive.

Watching Walt's frantic attempts to warn Hank makes me wonder if he still has a core of decency left.

I never thought Gilligan would stoop to the sort of  'thousands of bullets and nobody gets shot' formulaic tv crap. This really didn't ring true.

Unless the cavalry comes riding over this hill, I don't see how Hank and Gomie make it out alive.

Watching Walt's frantic attempts to warn Hank makes me wonder if he still has a core of decency left.

http://darren.amexd.com/no-hits.png

For some odd reason I'm still rooting for Walt and I can't figure out why as he is pretty much a horrible human being.  I don't think things will end well for him however. 

No way Hank and Gomie can walk away from this, is there?  Unless of course some type of cavalry shows up.

I can't figure out who I'm rooting for at this point.  None of them?  All of them?  

I was starting to feel for Walter, but then when he was in the doorway of Jesse's old girlfriend's, I'm yelling at the TV, "Don't let him in! Don't let him in"!

And then when he talked to Brock, I seriously had the chills and I was reminded how awful he is.

who do you think gets killed in the shootout?

they are certainly setting us up for a Hank death in light of the whole lovey-dovey call with Marie.

Yeah, that was a textbook "you're never going to see me again" phone call scene.  But this isn't a textbook show, so who knows?

I can't figure out who I'm rooting for at this point.  

on some level I've always felt quite a few parallels to The Sopranos with this show, and this is one of the key ones.

the characters are so human.  None is without baggage/demons (except Walter, Jr. for the most part).

they keep you rooting for someone in the scene at hand but then 5 minutes later you want the same character throttled.  Such great writing.

If Hank and Gomie bite it, there is no case against Walt. If Jesse bites it, there is no Walt/Jesse tension. It's the character interplay between Walt and Jesse that is the umami in the series for me. Three episodes to go. Jesse lives another week.

I say Todd and Gomie are out.

At this point Walter has sunk so low, broke so bad, killed, lied and schemed so much that I have zero sympathy for him. I think I stopped rooting for him quite a while back. If I were to root for anyone, I guess it would be Jesse as he still has some redeeming qualities.

At this point Walter has sunk so low, broke so bad, killed, lied and schemed so much that I have zero sympathy for him. I think I stopped rooting for him quite a while back. If I were to root for anyone, I guess it would be Jesse as he still has some redeeming qualities.

Well I would agree with that at least.  If the show comes down to a ricin coated knife fight between Walt and Jesse I will be rooting for Jesse. 

But I do worry about myself that I want Walt to get away with everything.

If Hank and Gomie bite it, there is no case against Walt. If Jesse bites it, there is no Walt/Jesse tension. It's the character interplay between Walt and Jesse that is the umami in the series for me. Three episodes to go. Jesse lives another week.

I say Todd and Gomie are out.

I am stealing your umami reference to use elsewhere, hope you don't mind.

I also remember reading somewhere that Tony Soprano was the first television character that was written to be an evil, yet sympathetic man.  Also, that WW is the first character to change so dramatically throughout the series, where most series rely on the main character to not change to move plot.

I think Bryan Cranston deserves a lot of credit for making the character sympathetic. No matter how low he sinks, his redeeming qualities keep bobbing back to the surface unexpectedly. Just the fact that he got teary-eyed when Skyler suggested putting the hit on Jesse is to his credit. Then his refusal (or maybe it was inability) to engage in a shootout with Hank and Gomez. He could possibly have killed Jesse, who was unarmed. And then he yelled for Hank to get down when the Nazis began to arrive. He may be 95% "bad," but he's never going to get to 100%.

For me, the morality tale of a show like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos is always that people are people, not monsters. No matter what inexplicably awful thing a person does, he or she remains a person. Not to derail the thread, but I get so tired of hearing death penalty proponents calling people "monsters" and demanding they be "put down." We have really lost some of our humanity in this country. Of course there's a little thrill when you see a fictional character get killed when they "deserve it" in the movie or show...but it's fiction. I have never seen an actual killing of anyone on film that made me feel better.

For me, the morality tale of a show like Breaking Bad or The Sopranos is always that people are people, not monsters. No matter what inexplicably awful thing a person does, he or she remains a person. Not to derail the thread, but I get so tired of hearing death penalty proponents calling people "monsters" and demanding they be "put down." We have really lost some of our humanity in this country. Of course there's a little thrill when you see a fictional character get killed when they "deserve it" in the movie or show...but it's fiction. I have never seen an actual killing of anyone on film that made me feel better.

That's an interesting point, and I was just having a similar discussion with my boss yesterday. He was saying something about Michael Vick. I don't know anything about football, but apparently his team is not doing so well? Anyway, I realize that I'm very hardline and unforgiving about things like animal abuse, and even to a lesser degree I'm unsympathetic to bullies and vandals. I find it easier to empathize with someone who commits much "worse" crimes like murder, robbery, treason, etc., when the motives are human like jealousy, rage, desperation--even selfishness. That to me is much more forgiveable than actions that are just morally reprehensible and cruel, with no obvious upside for the person committing the crime. My boss was saying that Vick paid his debt to society and he shouldn't be forever prevented from earning a living. To quote The Boss (not my boss) "I guess there's just a meanness in this world." That kind of cruelty is not really forgiveable to me and I don't think such a person is redeemable.

Bringing it back to Walter White, I think that's why we still find him sympathetic and relatable. We've watched him morph from someone who was making questionable but somewhat morally defensible choices in a scenario most of us could at least conceive of. You're stuck in a bad situation. You see a way out and you don't consider every possible consequence. You take that one step down the slippery slope and it all just spirals out of control. Along the way Walt has done some very bad things, but in most cases you could see that he felt trapped and the actions he was taking were things he felt might just finally get him out of the hole he'd dug for himself. You've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette, so to speak. So he's not a hero, but his original motives were not cruel or cold-hearted or monstrous.  

A couple weeks ago we started watching the series again starting with 1:1.

In season 2 Walt clearly crosses over some line by the time of the celebration party at his house where he has Walter Jr take 3 tequila shots. In the same episode he goes outside the Home Depot-y store and tells the dudes to stay out of his territory.

While Walt from time to time gets post-it notes from his conscience he is controlled by pride and ego after this--after getting the remission news.

A couple weeks ago we started watching the series again starting with 1:1.

In season 2 Walt clearly crosses over some line by the time of the celebration party at his house where he has Walter Jr take 3 tequila shots. In the same episode he goes outside the Home Depot-y store and tells the dudes to stay out of his territory.

While Walt from time to time gets post-it notes from his conscience he is controlled by pride and ego after this--after getting the remission news.

and last night we watched the one where he gets the calls and texts from Skyler that she's going into labor, and get has to go make the $1.2 million initial deal with Gus.

my wife told me that as long as it was legal, if I have the opportunity to miss the birth of our child in order to get us $1.2 million in a single transaction, I was free to take it.  She's very practical.

Yeah, that was a textbook "you're never going to see me again" phone call scene.

It absolutely screamed 'foreshadowing', but maybe it was just the writers playing with us. The scene with Marie finding brains in the garbage can make me wonder if we'll see Hank's brains on the desert sand next week. It'll be weird if they kill him off in the first couple minutes of the show, however.

pure speculation...

1) hank and gomie die...jesse lives...

2) case against walt evaporates...

3) cartel kills marie, jessie, and todd because they don't need them...

3) new cartel forces walt to cook...

4) walt wants out for him adn his family...walt stages his demise - trashes house / spray paints heisenberg on wall...

4) walt contacts the "vacuum" relocation service and has family relocated to New Hampshire...with his money...

5) walt's cancer progressively gets worse...

6) walt returns to get revenge on cartel...lures them into trap...walt kills cartel...walt turns himself in to get feds off of his family after he has taken the ricin...thereby effectuating how he will go out on his terms...