Joanna Newsom to open for Wilco at Hollywood Bowl

This is interesting.

The Wilco Shows listing for the Hollywood Bowl (September 30) was updated very recently to add the detail that Joanna Newsom is opening.

If you don't know Joanna Newsom (I didn't) she's a harpist. This article makes for an interesting read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_Newsom

There's a Jim O'Rourke connection too, as he has produced/mixed two of her albums:

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/philpedia/joanna-newsom-0

It will certainly set a tone...

She was Jeff's pick at a show he currated here in Chicago a whole bunch of years ago. I would have to say her records are an aquired taste. She was more fun to see in person than listen to on record.

LouieB

Is it too much to ask for Wilco to have a good, young, energetic, up-and-coming band open for them? Or will they continue to insist on snoozefests to get the crowd ready?

Well, I just saw them in Hartford with the Lee Renaldo Band opening. They are not "young", but they were certainly not a snoozefest. And last time through CA they had White Denim opening. That's about as much of a "good, young, energetic up and coming band" as you can get.

Where I live the local PBS affiliate is rebroadcasting the ACL show eifh Fleet Foxes and joanna Newsome this Saturday (today). Your market may differ.

Umm, well, I watched it. I guess I'm just not evolved enough musically to get it. It's something that will probably appeal to Nels Cline Singers fans. What totally puts me off is her mannered vocal style. Betcha Nels will sit in. He'll dig it.

Man she is incredible! Whether or not her vocal style is your cup of tea, it is absolutely astonishing how she plays the harp. Anyone who is interested needs to get on you tube and check her out. There are some shity recordings so make sure it's good quality. You will not be disappointed (unless you've already made up your mind). Her lyrics are sometimes so vivid and then can twist and leave you wondering where the hell she went. The words she uses have sent me to Wikipedia more than once! Hahaha all of this and she's as cute as hell!! Check out "Sprout and the Bean", "The Book of Right On" and at the VERY least "Jackrabbits"!

That is all :)

There is an amazing Roots song that samples Newsom's hook from "The Book of Right On", in fact I think the Roots song is called "Right On". It also rules.

The thing that wins me over about Newsom is her compositional ambition and sophistication. She has these incredible narrative many operas that don't really match any genre I can think of. Ys is a masterpiece.

As with Nick Lowe, most of the people past row 10 will chat during her set.

So true. I worry for those shows.

We might revere ourselves as some of the best fans. But there's plenty of douchebags and inconsiderate people that show up at Wilco and Jeff Tweedy shows, still. Even if you don't like My Morning Jacket, Andrew Bird, Joanna Newsome, Deerhoof, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, Yo La Tengo (I don't even know how I actually heard people try to talk over them), or Nick Lowe, as mentioned earlier, you should respect your fellow fans and artists. Thou shalt not talk over a performing artist.

And as for the dismissal, even if you don't like her story-writing (more so than songwriting), she's a great musician, and you should not ignore her musical proficiency. Why you gotta disrespect that girl that doesn't write traditional form songs, son?

wilco fans aren't any better at cutting opening acts a break. At a Tweedy solo show many years ago at the Vic, practically the entire audience talked loudly throughout the opening set of Archer Prewitt. I guess that is the fate of all opening acts.

LouieB

wilco fans aren't any better at cutting opening acts a break. At a Tweedy solo show many years ago at the Vic, practically the entire audience talked loudly throughout the opening set of Archer Prewitt. I guess that is the fate of all opening acts.

LouieB

Sometimes as evidenced by the Sunken Treasure DVD, fans aren't even quiet during Jeff's set either.

--Mike

I'll never forget my first Tweedy solo show -- Lincoln, 2006, Rococo Theatre. Amazing performance. He really raked some people over the coals who were running their mouths during the show.

"If you wanna drink and be loud and rock out, go down the street to the rock show...don't come see the f*ckin' folk guy!"

Well, I just saw them in Hartford with the Lee Renaldo Band opening. They are not "young", but they were certainly not a snoozefest. And last time through CA they had White Denim opening. That's about as much of a "good, young, energetic up and coming band" as you can get.

and didn't Purling Hiss open some shows as well?