Chicago teachers

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All those protesting teachers and their racket on the street yesterday impeded my ability to think for a few minutes. It was a blessed relief.

All those protesting teachers and their racket on the street yesterday impeded my ability to think for a few minutes. It was a blessed relief.

wow you must've finally been high uopn the opinion fence right then! what a View !

Jules , can we relax these sissys out and for the CTU to come with calvary?

cal·va·ry

noun \ˈkal-v(ə-)rē\

plural cal·va·ries

Definition of CALVARY

: an open-air representation of the crucifixion of Jesus

: an experience of usually intense mental suffering

Origin of CALVARY

Calvary, the hill near Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified

First Known Use: 1738

Nope, I am done. I just spoke to my striking wife. The two issues are recall for laid off teachers and evalluations and there is a possibility it may end soon.

Louie,

Tell your wife I totally stand behind these two issues from over here in NJ, where we are not legally allowed to strike. (so we suffer, mostly in silence)

I was just trying to get a better understanding of how something like this could happen and how close to home it may hit some of those on this board. I've found most of the insight informative. I have a lot of respect for teachers and I wish the entire city a happy ending to all of this.

There was a good, balanced discussion of the issues on the Diane Rehm (sp?) show on NPR this morning. They used the Chicago strike as a jumping off point but also had people representing other cities, academia, etc., all weighing in. I think it's available online via NPR's website. As with most complex problems, there don't seem to be easy answers to the questions about how to measure teacher effectiveness.

Louie,

Tell your wife I totally stand behind these two issues from over here in NJ, where we are not legally allowed to strike. (so we suffer, mostly in silence)

Thanks. I will.

After day two and into day three, it appears things are going to go long. There is no real way to predict these things., IN order to keep it interesting, union is shifting people to some different schools and cutting back on picket lines at local schools. The march downtown yesterday was apparently huge. Now it is just a question of the rank and file (they were a pretty good band) holding steady and not getting discouraged. It is easy to run on adrenaline for the first few days, but the exhaustian and bordom of a long strike can really take its toll.

LouieB

It was huge - we could hear them from the 36th floor.

I would like to know if both sides have a Worst Possible Outcome timeline contingency plan. Who is going to blink first? How long could this go on? A month? A year? Will HS seniors be in jeopardy of not graduating? Not getting accepted into college? Not getting scholarships? Will the dropout rate go up?

There was a quote I read today from the Union President, regarding ongoing negotiations, saying something like "we've moved centimeters, but we're still kilometers apart."

There was a quote I read today from the Union President, regarding ongoing negotiations, saying something like "we've moved centimeters, but we're still kilometers apart."

I don't think she's moved centimeters in a long time.