Favorite concerts of 2012

My Morning Jacket - 2 nights at Red Rocks and 3 nights at the Wiltern in Los Angelese, it just doesn't get any better than that these days....Both runs featured NO REPEATED SONGS and lots of fan requests. The Red Rocks second night show clocked in at about three and a half hours, epic on the Led Zeppelin scale!

Rich Robinson - Phoenix, AZ - he blows away his brother Chris when it comes to solo stuff. Severely underrated and a mature musical genius!!!

JJ Grey and Mofro - Scottsdale, AZ - these guys blow the roof off with their authentic R&B soul sound, just incredibly fun and moving to go see live, like a revival tent show or something

Wilco - two nights at Red Rocks was pretty damn good, but they did lots of repeats, I'm just spoiled by MMJ and all those Grateful Dead shows I saw! I think my fave Wilco show of the year was the Los Angeles Theater, that was a fun fun night hanging out with lots of good people inclduing kidsmoke and her son, drinking at the Varnish post-show and getting upgraded to the front row way on the side, but it still sounded great. What a cool venue in downtown LA. Celebrities were there, too. After the show, Sandra Oh told me she enjoyed watching me rock out.

Justin Townes Earle - solo acoustic Phoenix AZ - he is an amazing fingerpicker and his brutally honest, emotional songs combined with his effortless, commanding stage presence and encyclopedic historic musical knowledge give him a musical authority that few can match, IMO.

Honorable mention to Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - my first time seeing him live, waaayyy late to that party, and I'm not that into him but it was what you always hear a Bruce show is like. I wish I had seen him before Born In The USA came out, but I am too young for that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you meant 2012, Shug.

For me Neil Young and Crazy Horse/Los Lobos in Chicago in October.

The Geneva Wilco show was fun.

Caught a few (but not enough) jazz shows, too (Dave Douglas, Jeb Bishop's 50th B-Day Bash)

Always a smart ass around, huh? When I asked for elaboration, I was asking if he or she would tell more about why they were favorite concerts, not just list them. If he or she doesn't feel like doing that, no big deal. I just think its more interesting to hear a bit more detail.

I saw a few good shows this year, however, two really stand our for me:

Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings - They are amazing live. Great chemistry, stellar musicianship, beautiful songs. Dave is a revelation live.

Justin Townes Earle - For essentially the exact same reasons as mentioned above.

Wilco on my 50th birthday in Rochester NY, including "When You Wake Up Feeling Old".  I also discovered I share a birthday with Stan.  Cool stuff.

Andrew Bird here in Lexington.  Snuck into sound check and really enjoyed seeing that side of things.

Springsteen's tour opener in Atlanta.  Wow.

Jeff Tweedy solo at the Vic.  Which immediately followed Kentucky beating Louisville in the final four that me, my wife, SonicShoulder and his buddy all watched in a bar down the street from the Vic and then dashed to the show just in time.  A truly fabulous evening.

Radiohead in Cinci.  Those guys are good. 

David Byrne and St. Vincent at the Ryman.  That was a really fun show, and I love the Ryman to see a show.  Brutal drive back home though. 

Pretty mainstream stuff for me this year.  I didn't quite do what I had hoped to do, which was to get to some shows that are off the beaten path musically for me.  That'll have to be my New Year's resolution for 13.  But still a very good year for me for live music. 

The Head and the Heart at the State Theater in Portland, Maine. Great, youthful energy. Solid harmonies, and the young woman in the band, Charity Rose Thielen, can sing like nobody's business.

Wilco at the Adler Theater in Davenport, Iowa. A good show, but frankly the real joy was driving 19 hours in a VW Vanagon with three old college friends to see the show.

Wilco at Brewery Ommegang in Cooperstown, New York. Wilco, at a brewery, near the Baseball Hall of Fame. Perfect.

For the first time since I first started going to shows (1976) I saw zero concerts this year. None.

Any money I did have for that sort of thing was spent on GD music. Not that that would surprise anyone.

Another was Bob Dylan in Ft. Wayne - haven't seen him a few years - it was nice to see him playing piano, though his actual playing wasn't the best, but it was one of his better performances that I seen in a while. Plus, Fort Wayne is a nice town.

Not in order...

Bruce @ Wrigley Night 1. I've seen Bruce 2-3 times before this, but haven't really been all that impressed. Decided to give it (and concerts at Wrigley Field) another shot. Great great show. I wouldn't have thought that Bruce could pace a 3 hour show well, but he really did. I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan, so having Eddie Vedder show up out of the blue to sing Atlantic City was the highlight.

Chris Robinson Brotherhood @ Taste of Randolph. Can it get much better than a virtually free show outside in Chicago in the summer? CRB played their best songs and it made for a great evening.

Wilco in Birmingham @ Sloss Furnace. Really cool venue and town. Enjoyed walking around both prior to the show. The band was really into the show. The opening act (Purling Hiss) exceeded expectations and it was just a great night all around.

Magnetic Fields @ the Vic - I've always liked a handful of their songs. Seeing them for the first time in my favorite theater was a treat. I like a lot more of their songs than I realized. Stephen is a hoot and it felt like we were seeing something more than a rock n' roll show...may something like a recital??

I saw 35 shows this year. I must also indicate the 2 worst: Van Halen (United Center) and Wallflowers (Park West). Roth can't sing and had a really bad night. The Van Halens were amazing. Wallflowers - Jacob is just phoning it in on the old stuff and the songs just aren't good enough - I can't figure out how this band has been around as long as it has.

I'll have to come back & edit this because I saw a load of live shows in 2012, but...this is a good start.. 

First & foremost the Wilco shows I saw were truly a cut above anything else. I saw them in December of 2011 & then 9 times in 2012.
The run that I guess stands out the most is the 3 days in a row in NYC- where they played 63 different songs over the course of those three nights. I bet they'd normally play at least two dates in NYC, but I really hope that since they sold out all three, that they'd consider making this a regular practice of setting up a mini-residency in NYC & really stretching out those amazing set lists.
The Rochester show was very special because so many of my friends were there. The Cooperstown show was equally as great with almost as many friends there & a great road trip to the area (including the Baseball Hall Of Fame) as well.
The best show sound wise was in Hartford, CT, & the best outdoor sound was in Columbus, OH.
I'd be hard pressed to choose, or rank them much in any way since I'm thrilled to report that they were all of such amazingly high quality.
The only lesser show was an abbreviated festival set of 90 minutes at a festival in the Philly area (with Dr. Dog & The Avett Brothers), where the sound was pretty weak as well- though it was much better for Wilco than the two other acts, & Wilco's performance was terrific. I can't say the same for the opening acts, I didn't care for Dr. Dog & while I was very interested in The Avett Brothers (as I dig some of their material), I found them to be pretty disappointing...like with Mchael Frenti, I get why people like them, I guess I'm just not one who shares those feelings. On the other hand I did dig two other opening acts for Wilco- Lee Renaldo & Lee Fields & The Expressions were both great.

Of non-Wilco shows, the first thing that springs to mind is three incredible all request solo aocustic shows that Richard Thompson played in NYC in February.

The surprise discovery show for me was the great Khaira Arby, an African vocalist with her equally great backing band, at a small club (Abilene) in Rochester, NY.

Seeing Yo La Tengo do a "Freewheelin' Yo La Tengo" show where they took requests, told stories & answered questions (they did this show after playing live & providing the soundtrack to a documentary on Buckminster Fuller) was a unique thrill (since I'd seen them over a dozen time before with full electric shows).

Catching Leonard Cohen for the first time in Toronto was amazing & I'm making plans to catch him one more time on the 2013 leg of this tour. Even though tickets are a bit expensive- I can say I wouldn't hesitate to go see him again...especially since he's 78- and in amazing form!!

Some other shows to round up...
Neil Young & Crazy Horse were terrific (though personally I'd seen other shows by them that I prefered to this one, it was still great) & I wasn't sure this would ever happen again (Neil & Crazy Horse playing together)....

The reunited Graham Parker & The Rumour in a small theater in New Jersey was a very good, often great, gig that I truly never thought I'd get to see (a reunion I'd given up on...like Rockpile ever reuniting).

The reunited Beach Boys was also a very good, often great, show, but at a totally terrible venue (Darien Lake), which didn't kill the show, but didn't help it at all (yet another reunion that I'd given up on ever seeing...)

I was lucky enough to catch Ian Hunter & The Rant Band in both Cleveland & Buffalo. I'd normally only have done one show, but Buffalo was added the day after we saw him in Cleveland. A great road trip & great time for the Cleveland show (which I prefered of the two), & a thrill just to get to catch him one last time (he's 72 & still going strong!).

While I wouldn't say that Bruce Springsteen wasn't good in Rochester (on Halloween, right after the Sandy storm), I can say that I didn't dig it anywhere near as much as the tour closing date in Buffalo from '09. It was great in spots, but, for me, only a good show overall, and for the cost, it might have sealed it being my last go round with Bruce.

I also went to Toronto to see The Flaming Lips. They were playing a free show the same day the stage colllapsed at the sold out Radiohead gig there. This meant that pretty much everyone from that show came over to The Flaming Lips show & that meant it ended up as a total overcrowded mess with pretty lousy sound. The Flaming Lips were terrifce as usual, from what I could tell, but the logistics just destroyed the show for me.

Someone above meantioned Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings & I'd concur that the show I saw of their's in Ithaca was a great one.

I saw Donna The Buffalo a few times & they were always terrific.

At the Grassroots Fest in Trumansburg, NY catching Jim Lauderdale backed up by Donna The Buffalo ranked up there with Khaira Arby as the surprise discovery show of the year for me.

Also in Rochester there is an amazing band that does all Gypsy Jazz, a la Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli, there are called The Djangoners & catching their stand at The Little Theater Cafe in November/October was fantastic.

Another was Bob Dylan in Ft. Wayne - haven't seen him a few years - it was nice to see him playing piano, though his actual playing wasn't the best, but it was one of his better performances that I seen in a while. Plus, Fort Wayne is a nice town.

Did you go to Club Utopia? LOL

For the first time since I first started going to shows (1976) I saw zero concerts this year. None.

Any money I did have for that sort of thing was spent on GD music. Not that that would surprise anyone.

Sorry to read you went the entire year without any live music. But I'm sure your $$ were well spent on GD stuff. As I type, I'm listening to the Record Store Day vinyl release of Winterland May 30, 1971. Hope you got that one.

Did you go to Club Utopia? LOL

:lol No - no I didn't.

I don't think the wife would have been up for it - plus it would be awkward draggin our 6 month old daughter.

Another one I forgot was Furthur at the Charter One Pavilion in Chicago - great place to see a show right on the Lake, with the city in the background.

Great, fun crowd/scene. Definitely the best Dead related show that I saw since 95.

St. Vincent - Exceeded my expectations.  I'm not the biggest fan in the world, but she puts on a great show (not to mention she's smokin hot) 

Justin Townes Earle (twice) - Also exceeded my expectations.  You'll see posts all over this board about how great of a performer he is..

Beach House - They aren't exactly the best at showmanship (pretty much just stand there the whole time with no banter), but the sound and tightness of the band make it an excellent show to see.