Your Favorite Roadie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowbell Josh

Farmer (Warren Haynes' guitar tech.  A "mini-me" (though not so "mini") version of Warren

the entire GD crew: Parrish, Kid, Ramrod.  And in the '90'sw, Bob Bralove (he was a midi tech guy, does that count as a roadie?), through his friendship with my cousins in SF got me guest passes for many GD shows in Boston and NY, had drinks with me after the show, and got me to sit up on stage next to Garcia and Hornsby for the second set of a show at Nassau Coliseum. 

And in the '90'sw, Bob Bralove (he was a midi tech guy, does that count as a roadie?), through his friendship with my cousins in SF got me guest passes for many GD shows in Boston and NY, had drinks with me after the show, and got me to sit up on stage next to Garcia and Hornsby for the second set of a show at Nassau Coliseum. 

Damn, dude...that is righteous!

I'm sure Bralove was a great guy but JG's MIDI period is one I'd rather forget.

I agree with ya NoJ, I vastly prefer the pre-MIDI guitar tones, but if Bralove got me free tix and put me onstage with the Dead, I'd kiss him on the lips!

I agree with ya NoJ, I vastly prefer the pre-MIDI guitar tones, but if Bralove got me free tix and put me onstage with the Dead, I'd kiss him on the lips!

AMEN!

Hey, Garcia's "Wolf" was brought out of the attic for the purpose of midi effects/experiments in the late 80s!

So? It still kinda sucked.....except for that flugelhorn effect Jerry used, that was miiiiiiiiiind blowing. More FLUGELHORN!!

So? It still kinda sucked.....except for that flugelhorn effect Jerry used, that was miiiiiiiiiind blowing. More FLUGELHORN!!

I didn't mind it. He mostly used it during Space and the occasional tune (Built to Last, Estimated, etc.) I actually liked it. Nice change up every now and again.

I didn't mind it. He mostly used it during Space and the occasional tune (Built to Last, Estimated, etc.) I actually liked it. Nice change up every now and again.

Well, if Jerry came back from the dead and only played guitar with MIDI, I'd still attend.

In other news, I have 377 posts.

I think Bralove worked for Stevie Wonder before the Dead, right?

Correct. 

And to be precise, Bralove was not responsible for Jerry's midi effects as far as I know.  His gig with the Dead was to work with Vince and Mickey on their midi effects.  I think.    I love the Wolf guitar.  I have the Wolf on an old tee shirt that was sold by Doug Irwin.  It's lasted all these many years, these days in order to preserve it I only break it out for special occasions.

Well, if Jerry came back from the dead and only played guitar with MIDI, I'd still attend.

If Jerry came back from the dead and played only the kazoo I'd still attend :guitar

Damn, dude...that is righteous!

It makes for a good story.  Truth be told, it's not the best place to experience the show, you can only hear under headphones and we were told that if we so much as moved a toenail we'd be out of there.  But it was pretty cool to be sitting there right alongside Hornsby on accordion and Garcia.  It was a mediocre at best second set.  But, I got to experience first hand something the band always talked about; the interplay between the stage and audience and the energy that the audience can deliver to the stage.  Like I said, it was a mediocre at best second set.  Then they did The Weight for the encore.  As the first notes drifted out over the Coliseum, a wave of energy and excitement started in the far reaches of the back of the Coliseum, rolled over the floor and washed over everyone on stage. In slow motion. It was palpable, and it was amazing.  Something I will never forget.   Thank you Bob Bralove.

And to be precise, Bralove was not responsible for Jerry's midi effects as far as I know.  His gig with the Dead was to work with Vince and Mickey on their midi effects.  I think.    I love the Wolf guitar.  I have the Wolf on an old tee shirt that was sold by Doug Irwin.  It's lasted all these many years, these days in order to preserve it I only break it out for special occasions.

Pretty sure Bralove was the MIDI guru for all the band's instruments. He did the drummers, too, and would sometimes sit in with them during Space. I remember reading somewhere that  Phil, Bob, and Jerry would often like to fuck with the audience during Space around the time MIDI was rolling out and that Garcia, in particular, really liked the opportunities the MIDI effects afforded him. Think of some of the cool tones Bird Song and Let it Grow and other tunes took on in the late 80s. I dug it.