Your Favorite Roadie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the popcorn vendor was mind-melting.

what did one deadhead say to the other when they ran out of drugs?

"This band sucks"

Seriously? That old saw? I've only heard that 100 times. If I thought the person repeating it was saying "I don't care for the Dead", I wouldn't think twice. To each their own, no matter to me at all. But what that "joke" says to me is that people who like the Dead only do so because they're a bunch of stoners, and as soon as they stop taking drugs they will realize what I (the speaker) knows to be an undeniable truth, which is that the Dead suck. I've always found that line to be a derogatory comment to the fans of the band. And surprising to see it repeated here.

Sorry. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Seriously? That old saw? I've only heard that 100 times. If I thought the person repeating it was saying "I don't care for the Dead", I wouldn't think twice. To each their own, no matter to me at all. But what that "joke" says to me is that people who like the Dead only do so because they're a bunch of stoners, and as soon as they stop taking drugs they will realize what I (the speaker) knows to be an undeniable truth, which is that the Dead suck. I've always found that line to be a derogatory comment to the fans of the band. And surprising to see it repeated here.

Sorry. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

:thumbup

Anyone who would repeat that joke fails at both music and drugs. And comedy, life, etc.

i've been deemed a failure.

this was unexpected, and frankly, quite crushing.

edit - i guess i touched a throbbing nerve. it wasn't like i called jerry a nine-fingered junkie or anything. yes, to each his own. the dead are a band that has never ever clicked for me, despite the best efforts of some of my friends. 

i've been deemed a failure.

this was unexpected, and frankly, quite crushing.

edit - i guess i touched a throbbing nerve. it wasn't like i called jerry a nine-fingered junkie or anything. yes, to each his own. the dead are a band that has never ever clicked for me, despite the best efforts of some of my friends. 

Thats ok, by you not catching on, there were more drugs left for the rest of us. :stunned

I wouldn't have been offended by that. It is factually correct and actually only adds to his legend. 

I can certainly understand why the Dead's music doesn't appeal to some people and have no problem with that. 

I wouldn't have been offended by that. It is factually correct and actually only adds to his legend. 

I can certainly understand why the Dead's music doesn't appeal to some people and have no problem with that. 

but using MIDI detracts, and markedly so.

mixing facts and opinions is always a tricky proposition.

i should re-read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Celine-Dions-Lets-Talk-About/dp/082642788X

Its amusing to me that a thread I started as a slightly sarcastic joke, (no offense intended and apologies if it did offend) has included discussion of MIDI, The Grateful Dead and now Celine Dion. I don't actually have any favorite roadies, although the young kid from the Allman Brothers Band that was so nice to my son, giving him guitar picks and setlists and even remembering his name the next night, is pretty high in my book right now!

I was tempted to start a Your Favorite Groupie thread, but I thought that might be a bit over the top and crass, even though I think its kinda funny.

Ok, I can admit it, that particular joke does hit a nerve for me.  As I tried to express, and jw harding put so well, I get that most people don't like the Dead's music, and that causes me no consternation, nor will I try to proselytize to anyone about the Dead.  It's just that I find that joke to be directly derogatory towards the fans. Thus, the nerve. From what I know of you from here, I have a high degree of confidence that you had no intention of hurling personal insults.  

Completely coincidental,  this weekend I was thinking of you and your comment a while ago in another thread questioning whether the Dead ever "rock", as I was cranking my MoFi vinyl re-issue of Live Dead and the band was raging from St. Stephen through The Eleven.  I thought that was a pretty good example of "rockin."  But, I said I wasn't going to proselytize...

Ok, I can admit it, that particular joke does hit a nerve for me.  As I tried to express, and jw harding put so well, I get that most people don't like the Dead's music, and that causes me no consternation, nor will I try to proselytize to anyone about the Dead.  It's just that I find that joke to be directly derogatory towards the fans. Thus, the nerve. From what I know of you from here, I have a high degree of confidence that you had no intention of hurling personal insults.  

Completely coincidental,  this weekend I was thinking of you and your comment a while ago in another thread questioning whether the Dead ever "rock", as I was cranking my MoFi vinyl re-issue of Live Dead and the band was raging from St. Stephen through The Eleven.  I thought that was a pretty good example of "rockin."  But, I said I wasn't going to proselytize...

i will occasionally prod for a response, but hopefully don't cross over into full troll territory and insulting people.

maybe i will check out that Dead rendition (though my friend tells me Cornell '72 was the zenith, and that didn't hit me square between the eyes)

He probably meant Cornell 77 but knowing your tastes, I would not recommend that for you. I agree with worldrecordplayer, Live Dead and live stuff in 1969 was when they were at their most aggressive and chaotic and if there is any Dead you might like, that is probably the stuff, although I would not expect too much. I also avoid prosletyzing for the Dead, I think if you are ready for it, it will find you or that kind of cosmic idea. Its hopeless to try and like the Dead, people either like it or they don't, for the most part, I've found.

I've recently been enjoying some of the prettier songs in their repertoire, ones that were never really my favorites, but I'm hearing them in a new light, so to speak. I love the pretty piano, guitar and raspy-soulful vocals on this version of Friend Of The Devil. They hit a sweet spot in 1982, I think.

http://archive.org/details/gd82-08-10.sbd.miller.12453.sbeok.shnf

but using MIDI detracts, and markedly so.

mixing facts and opinions is always a tricky proposition.

i should re-read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Celine-Dions-Lets-Talk-About/dp/082642788X

I will admit that the only time I really enjoyed and "got" the Space portion of a Dead show, which was always MIDI heavy, was the 2nd to last show in Chicago, and I was tripping face. Seemed like they were musically creating the sounds and feelings of a swamp. Don't think I would've picked that up in a normal state of consciousness. Some music is enhanced by drugs, other music is not. The Dead certainly spent enough time in alternate states of consciousness to know how to musically communicate in that territory.