Is anybody else as fucking disturbed/annoyed/frustrated by the ignorantly cavalier attitude toward war (and the sacrifice it involves) when they see the goddamned ads for video games these days?

Seriously.

http://youtu.be/rr5xymYrF20

"The glorious mind-blowing freedom of all-out war" that prick actually says at the end. 

Here's some more:

http://youtu.be/fVruXOewGIA

Granted, one of those (the Taco Bell one) involves space aliens as the villains, but the mentality of it is in the same ballpark.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, pop culture is so incredibly in love with violence.  My daughter and I were at a library pumpkin-painting program aimed at small kids, and the Scooby Doo cartoon they were playing had Fred wielding a machine gun against vampires.  Zoinks!  That's nothing like the Scooby Doo we grew up with!

But then, I loved Breaking Bad, which was the bloodiest TV show I've ever watched.  So the hypocrisy starts at home.

Isn't it just an extension of what's always been available as far as war = entertainment/toys? E.g. Little green army men, GI Joe, Risk, Stratego, other strategy/war games?

Granted, the advertising is way more X-treme nowadays...

Indeed, it's always been this way.. All the way back to when kids were using sticks as guns before plastic was invented.  Just now with technology/CGI it is brought to life in whole new way.  Boys are always going to love army/violence/blood/guts.  It's in our nature.  

I think what bothers me is that as quality of the gameplay has improved to the point of near-reality, the advertising has become increasingly glib and willfully ignorant of the responsibility that should come with such technological advances.

My faves as a kid were Force 10 from Navarone, and The Big Red One. (probably because both had Star Wars tie-ins)

The Big Red One was one of my favorites growing up. Count me as one (in the 70's) playing war with sticks or whatever else we could find for guns.

Once I used the arm/extension of weed eater -- it had a trigger and a shaft for a barrel - I was the coolest for a while in my court.

I'm a big fan of war games and I design them.  There is a big difference between a true war game and a first person shooter.  My war games are more for strategy enthusiasts, a lot like Chess or Risk, which is really a niche market.  Most kids want the blood/guts first person shooters like in the video.  

War is fun!

Lamrod, what kind of games? I used to play tons of Avalon Hill and SSI games growing up. Between my brother and I, I probably have access to 200 or so games.

Historic real time tactical combat simulators.  

I always knew I liked you.

:love

Ok, big difference from the historical games I'm used to.

Yeah, they are tactical combat, quite different than the SSI/Avalon, hex based games.  Although we have considered adding more strategic/campaign elements in the near future. 

I think what bothers me is that as quality of the gameplay has improved to the point of near-reality, the advertising has become increasingly glib and willfully ignorant of the responsibility that should come with such technological advances.

I'm not sure why, but time and context is important. WWII is okay, but on War on Terror shit seems highly inappropriate. Though I know a veteran of Iraq who loves these games. It's crossed my mind that they might even provide a release to avoid PTSD for him.

was out with my son's cub scout den yesterday and the kids (ages 9-10) were talking in detail about guns.  Very specific details about the size, type, and which would do the most damage.  I asked out of curiosity how they knew this and they said from Call of Duty.  This type of talk goes beyond using your finger or stick to play guns.  

As full disclosure I don't let my son play Call of Duty so he was pretty much clueless on the conversation.