• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today (well, yesterday now) my favorite sports team won the World Series. They've given me 40 summers of joy with a good number of heartaches also. But they're my team, they were my first love (along

Hadn't heard this in a while. Honk.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KlckKFFc0    

Heck yeah the better team won! Braves fan since 1975. And that means I have suffered through many awful seasons. 2021 began as a mediocre season and ended with a championship. Hell of a ride. GO BRAVE

Posted Images

On Saturday I saw some of this from a distance whilst in Winchester, which also qualifiers as 'other poon'.

Two other notable matches are Herman Pot and Poon Pot. Both are played on the morning of the last day of Common Time. Herman pot is played by the VIth Book I men from Trant's and Phil's. These two houses are traditionally two of the strongest Winkies houses and they are both on Culver Road (as such it is a Culver Road Derby). The match is attended by both houses in full and, as all the players are out of their usual position and slightly the worse for wear, it's quite an entertaining game. The result is always twenty seven and a half all. Poon Pot is the same premise but played between Beloe's and Furley's (a Kingsgate Park (KP) derby) and is always refereed by Mr. Nevin. Recently these two matches have been copied with matches between Hopper's and Cook's (Edgar Road derby) and College and Toye's (Kingsgate Street derby) also being played.

Jun XXIIs ( also known as II v XXII) used to be another end-of-term game, although somewhat less competitive as the score was by tradition seventeen and three quarters all. It was played between the junnest (that is, lowest in order on their scholarship roll) twenty-two Collegemen who were not otherwise engaged and two top-year Collegemen, usually including the captain of College VI. It was refereed by the Aulae Prae, who would award free busts to all and sundry, giving any reason he chose. The jun men would hot in single file. The Bogle Prae (the most Sen Collegeman to keep a bicycle in College) would cycle up and down Ropes, and the crowd would periodically throw buckets of water over the players. During the mid-1980s, prior to the innovation of the buckets of water, the crowd would throw carrots onto the canvas, which were picked out of the mud and consumed by the referee of the time, College Tutor John Hunter Durran. Afterwards, a Hot was held in Logie, the stream which runs between the College buildings and the Warden's Garden. This previously annual game has been discontinued, as the throwing of water onto the pitch was deemed to damage the playing surface.

Today I'm still thinking about the Charlie Rose and Sean Penn interview regarding El Chapo that I watched on Monday night. I had no idea Sean was that well spoken and intelligent. I was impressed.

We just moved here from Connecticut, so we'll see if 2 feet really means 2 feet.  School and work was canceled yesterday for today, so, woot!

Remember the blizzard of '78? I believe Ella Grasso shut down the state for 3-4 days. I still have pics of me and my brothers sledding off a barn roof into snow drifts from that one....

Remember the blizzard of '78? I believe Ella Grasso shut down the state for 3-4 days. I still have pics of me and my brothers sledding off a barn roof into snow drifts from that one....

Hmmm.  No.  I was 8 in 1978, and lived in upstate NY.  It pretty much snowed every day from Thanksgiving until the middle of April.  We have a fishing cottage that we would have to go shovel the roof off and then used it to slide off into the snow.  Good times.  The bonus to growing up like that is that I am a champ when it comes to driving in the snow.  It's all the other idiots I worry about.

I was in Connecticut when we had that crazy Halloween storm, some of my friends were out of power for 12 days.