Jeff at Taste of Chicago

via (Chicago's) 93 WXRT facebook page: 

JUST ANNOUNCED by Mayor Rahm Emanuel with Lin Brehmer & Mary Dixon‪#‎TasteofChi‬ XRT Concert headliner: Jeff Tweedy of Wilco! 93xrt.com

I'm excited for this. XRT always books some good openers too so I'm curious to see the full lineup for that day. I thought I read this year that some tix will be sold in the $50 range, and some in another price range, but that the lawn will still be free. 

Edited to add: the date for this is July 12

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He's putting together a band, he'll have a crackerjack band..."

That mayor interview was chock full of info.

"He's putting together a band, he'll have a crackerjack band..."

That mayor interview was chock full of info.

My guess it will be the newly reunited Land Ho!  A possible warm gig prior to the Unity Festival?  

This is kind of like Jon Bon Jovi recording and touring without Bon Jovi.

Hopefully the quality of the material and performances will be as strong as well!

Interesting comparison. I know you meant it as a joke. JBJ must have figured out that touring/working under his name wasn't as as lucrative as working under "Bon Jovi" as he has kicked Richie out of BJ and with health issues, Bon Jovi has toured with just two real members at times (JBJ and the keyboard player).

I think in Tweedy's case it is a great solution. It lets him evolve beyond Wilco, which over the last 10 years has turned into a band of the six current members who perform Jeff's music.

EmmyLou playing on Friday the 11th. I'm there. Janelle Monae playing the 10th. I'm there. Both gals have gotten rave reviews on recent shows in Chicago....

Interesting comparison. I know you meant it as a joke. JBJ must have figured out that touring/working under his name wasn't as as lucrative as working under "Bon Jovi" as he has kicked Richie out of BJ and with health issues, Bon Jovi has toured with just two real members at times (JBJ and the keyboard player).

I think in Tweedy's case it is a great solution. It lets him evolve beyond Wilco, which over the last 10 years has turned into a band of the six current members who perform Jeff's music.

Yeah, you caught on to my joke. Nice that Tweedy is going to play with musicians under his own name rather than just replace the guys in Wilco. Sounds like Sambora is looking for a gig...

Taste of Chicago?? Worst event ever, but I guess this will be fun.

LouieB

You know it. This line up is the first time I'm actually considering going since the Replacements played on July 4th, 19whatever that was.....when they broke up on stage. That was a fine show.

It is pretty easy to avoid everything but the concert if you want and then I think the event isn't so bad. I did that the last couple years - Fun. last year and then Gomez the year before. Great fun especially if the weather is nice. Entering at Monroe and Columbus avoids all the craziness.

I hate the Taste, but who am I kidding?  I'll be there for Tweedy and for Nickel Creek/Emmylou Harris/Parker Millsap the night before.  The last time I was there (Death Cab for Cutie and Calexico a couple of years ago) the lawn crowd where I was could not see the stage and really didn't bother to pay attention to the show at all.  Going to try for reserved seats for both nights.

This is kind of like Jon Bon Jovi recording and touring without Bon Jovi.

Hopefully the quality of the material and performances will be as strong as well!

It's more like Thom Yorke playing with Atoms for Peace outside Radiohead only Radiohead has always been the same 5 dudes so that made more sense. I guess it's a good thing Tweedy is looking for different solutions at this point instead of just forcing members out of the band when he feels like it, especially since I feel like the current line-up has still something left in them.

Lets hope Tweedy is bringing better material than Yorke though, that AFP album was pretty bad. Though I also kinda hope he saves the best tunes for Wilco because Tweedy basically being the only songwriter in Wilco post-Bennett might be problematic for his main act between this and the rumors of another Loose Fur album.

It's more like Thom Yorke playing with Atoms for Peace outside Radiohead only Radiohead has always been the same 5 dudes so that made more sense. I guess it's a good thing Tweedy is looking for different solutions at this point instead of just forcing members out of the band when he feels like it, especially since I feel like the current line-up has still something left in them.

Lets hope Tweedy is bringing better material than Yorke though, that AFP album was pretty bad. Though I also kinda hope he saves the best tunes for Wilco because Tweedy basically being the only songwriter in Wilco post-Bennett might be problematic for his main act between this and the rumors of another Loose Fur album.

Jeff and Jon Bon are both the owners of their bands, with the musicians being employees, so I think that comparison is more apt than Yorke/Radiohead who have an equal partnership. It was a joke, not considering artistic issues. Sorry you missed it.

I know it was, I was just saying it's musically comparable with the AFP situation which didn't really lead to very good results. So I'm just speculating whether Tweedy will be capable of dividing his time between several bands whitout results suffering.

Kinda bewildering how little people are speculating. Isn't this (the mention of a Jeff Tweedy solo album) the kind of thing that should launch a hundred VC threads?