• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone been keeping up with the 50th anniversary tour rumors? Looking like Donna Jean Godchaux, Nels Cline, Neal Casal, Phish, etc. will be a part of this. I've never witnessed any of this music live so I'm hoping the tour comes around the NC way.

It's amazing the number of bands he played with: Beatles, Stones, Kinks, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Jeff Beck, Quicksilver Messenger Service, etc.

Exactly. He not only played with em he's on an inordinate amount of the seminal works from those bands. He must have been pretty good  :shifty

Has anyone been keeping up with the 50th anniversary tour rumors? Looking like Donna Jean Godchaux, Nels Cline, Neal Casal, Phish, etc. will be a part of this. I've never witnessed any of this music live so I'm hoping the tour comes around the NC way.

I haven't read any online rumors that have mentioned any of those folks except Trey from Phish. Not a fan of theirs, so my interest level has dropped from "fascinated but not willing to drop the dough" level down to somewhere below "moderately apathetic." It would be much better if people like Nels and Neal were involved, IMHO.

People will bitch no matter who plays lead. No matter how you slice it, it's basically Furthur, or a very close version of. Not saying that's bad/good, just that the moniker of a GD "reunion" band is kind of funny as it's the same thing as "The Dead" or Furthur, really. I'd catch it regardless of who is on lead if it's local and not too pricey. If not, no problem.

The rumor of having something at Soldier Field in Chicago is interesting -- I wouldn't travel to see any type of reunion, nor would I bother to see them at a shed or at a piss poor arena, but I may catch a show at Soldier Field (mostly because it right on my train line and about a 1/2 hour travel). A nice little day long festival might be fun.

I'd catch it regardless of who is on lead if it's local and not too pricey. If not, no problem.

I suspect it will be pricey. The more people involved, the more likely the cost will rise...I think. (To cover their performance fees, travel costs, food, etc.)

I never minded paying a standard ticket price for a Ratdog show, and would probably have done the same for Phil & Friends if they'd ever come to FL. But to pay the same for a nosebleed seat at a big shed? No thanks. I will console myself with a bunch of spring and summer Wilco shows, and just go on the Wilcoworld site and request some of the tunes they did with Bobby. :D

I've been reading the Garcia bio by Blair Jackson. Not much so far that I didn't already know from Phil's book or the Dennis McNally book. I saw that Melvin Seals and the JGB are coming through in March. Has anyone ever seen them? Are they worth checking out?

I've been reading the Garcia bio by Blair Jackson. Not much so far that I didn't already know from Phil's book or the Dennis McNally book. I saw that Melvin Seals and the JGB are coming through in March. Has anyone ever seen them? Are they worth checking out?

I've seen them a shitload, last time being a couple weeks ago. They play in Denver a lot. It's usually $15-20 to see them, so for that price, in a small club, it's worth it. There have been times I've seen them that they've been on the languid side, but it's still a fun night of tunes....

Speaking of books, I did read Greenfield's Dark Star last month --- it was depressing as all hell --- I almost stopped reading it, because from the 80's on, it was a pretty much a disaster (health-wise) for Garcia. The whole book is way too "tabloidy".

I haven't been to a Dead related show since a Phil concert at the Riv in December of 2003 where I caught walking pneumonia and was out of work for almost a month. Not sure if I'll do Soldier Field if they play there. Hhmmm.

Just my opinion, but if they think they could still play Soldier Field they are REALLY overestimating their popularity at this point. I don't care who is showing up to play guitar that place would be lucky to be half full. 

Just my opinion, but if they think they could still play Soldier Field they are REALLY overestimating their popularity at this point. I don't care who is showing up to play guitar that place would be lucky to be half full. 

Yeah - it's got to be a day long event with multiple acts to even come close.

Soldier Field apparently has a 61K capacity...that is a lot of asses in seats. I'm sure some Deadheads will travel to IL for this, but probably not that many will do it for the nosebleed seats. I love these guys, but at this point, I will have to wave goodbye from my computer, whilst listening to a 40 y.o. show. :lol

There is potentially a lot of money on the table for a promoter if they can pull of 3 nights at Soldier Field. I'd imagine it would have to be a Clapton Crossroads type festival with all their surviving peers and bands that have been influenced by them. How about a rotating cast of guitarists to fill for Jerry, plus relics like Santana, CSN, Dylan, Winwood, Willie Nelson. Throw in a Hornsby and Branford. And next generation bands like Phish, Wilco, MMJ, Los Lobos. A last gasp for the 60's, or nail in the coffin. I'd still watch from my computer rather than attend, but let the madness begin.

One rumor that seems to make sense to me is that there will be a performance (or 2) at Lockn'. That's where I will likely catch them. People can speculate all day on who will be playing guitar and keys, but seems to be all speculation or "wish lists" at this point, with the exception that there seems to be a lot of momentum for Trey to be playing with them at Chicago shows.  Maybe on a double bill with Phish? I agree, I don't see how the GD reunion show fills Soldier Field by itself.

WXRT (Chicago) is going to broadcast a major concert announcement at 9:05am, this morning - Lin Brehmer said it's going to be "big, big, big, people are going to have change their summer plans if they already planned something....."  - perhaps it's the Dead announcement (or some other 'geezer' act is playing Wrigley Field).  A Phish/Dead double bill would be kinda fun, I guess.