• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to post this here but figured you guys in this thread can help me. Now I'm a relatively seasoned user of bit torrents but hit a snag this morning while trying to convert some GD FLAC files to WAV. Windows will not let me convert files with special characters (!,?,/,%, etc.) Have any of you encountered this problem before? If so, are there anyways around it? Feel free to PM me with any responses as I don't feel this belongs here (even though it indirectly deals with the GD.)

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, Windows will not allow you to alter the file names which contain special characters. I've searched numerous forums online without any luck. Maybe I will have to download another show :(

Edit: I was successfully able to change the track names within the bit torrent client!

I read the above yesterday, too, (and in the middle of Aces... currently), and while I don't necessarily doubt his word and/or "sources" it's been said by more than one person to take his word with a grain of salt. Makes sense, though, as the Furthur split-up set the stage for a 50-year series of shows. It seems like he's just bringing up old news with the JK/Billy K thing and Phil camp/Kimock stuff, though. Whatever set up they have, it's such a shell of what the GD were, anyway, that it's hard for me to get too excited about this "reunion". More like a glorified Furthur, no?

What I came to like about Furthur is that they were seasoned.  If they do this thing with different guitar players, then it's gonna be a mess.  I do like the idea of Hornsby playing with them.  Barry Sless would be fun to see.  I'm puzzled by the end of Furthur. What are the boys gonna do after 2015?  Is Ratdog gonna slog around for another 5 years?  Also, what's this about Phil riding Bob?  I thought it was the other way around.

I understand them ending Furthur. A lot of signs point to them (Bob and Phil) simply being burned out from touring. I see Weir setting up camp somewhere close to home a la Phil or streaming studio shows from TRI. P&F continues to draw full houses and Ratdog has "slogged" around for nearly 20 years at this point, also packing houses. 

Listening to 10/20/84 right now and I'm blown away! If the rest of '84 sounds as good as this, I'd be a fool for missing out on this year for so long.

Not all of '84 sounds as good as that. :lol

In all seriousness, it's pretty much hit or miss from about '82 on. But when they hit, damn, they were hot. I can even suffer through some "froggy Jerry" vocals if everything else is firing on all eight cylinders.

Listening to 10/20/84 right now and I'm blown away! If the rest of '84 sounds as good as this, I'd be a fool for missing out on this year for so long.

As Mr. H said it gets pretty hit or miss. '84 is VERY hit/miss. But there are some shows where they kick it hard. Try 6/30 Indy for an example of Jerry being "on" damn near the whole night.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been trying to download shows that are out of my comfort zone. This 10/20 is stellar. Jerry doesn't sound too froggy on this one (at least not to me.) And I would def say that the 'Samson and Delilah' from this night may be my fav. I usually gloss over that song but this one is good.

How do you all normally listen to these shows? I prefer matrix recordings when they're available. I re-listened to an audience recording of 5/25/77 the other night and like it better than the official release. Seems to have more energy.

The BCT run in late October/Early Nov '84 has a number of good moments. It's always amazed me how well Garcia could play in that time frame considering that he was pretty much walking death then.

The BCT run in late October/Early Nov '84 has a number of good moments. It's always amazed me how well Garcia could play in that time frame considering that he was pretty much walking death then.

Yep. The first night Silva Hall show was a double (due to Garcia losing his place, I'd imagine) "....I wish I was a headlight...." verse in the Rider. Always got a kick out of that.....You can hear Weir starting into the final "I know yo rider,,,,: verse and Garcia belts out over the "...headlight" verse for a second time. 

Yep. The first night Silva Hall show was a double (due to Garcia losing his place, I'd imagine) "....I wish I was a headlight...." verse in the Rider. Always got a kick out of that.....You can hear Weir starting into the final "I know yo rider,,,,: verse and Garcia belts out over the "...headlight" verse for a second time. 

His playing really didn't go completely to shit until 92.  The voice was horrible after 81.  The dude wasn't even 40 yet!

I think there was still some good/great playing (farther and fewer between shows, but still....) up until '95, actually. I can pinpoint some very nice playing in '93, '94, and '95.The "Visions" from Philly '95 is a good example of top-notch playing and sweet voice in the dark days of the final countdown....

His voice never bothered me but in '84-'85 it was the "worst" as his health issues had peaked. Listen to a "Might as Well" from this era, for example, and he's virtually choking to get the words out in the chorus at the end. All garbled and shit.

Listened for the first time to a really interesting 1969 arrangement of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue on my way to work this morning. It's not as fast as the versions from, say, 1966, and in fact, it's even slower than the ones from the '80s. Check it out: 

https://archive.org/details/gd1969-04-06.fm.hunter-warner.fink.9389.sbeok.shnf

Do any of you Deadheads have much experience with Jerry shows from '74, '77 or '82? There's a site out there with most of those shows available (PM me if you want the link), but there's just no way I'll ever have time to download them all, much less listen to them. Anyone have favorites from those years? Thanks.

Do any of you Deadheads have much experience with Jerry shows from '74, '77 or '82? There's a site out there with most of those shows available (PM me if you want the link), but there's just no way I'll ever have time to download them all, much less listen to them. Anyone have favorites from those years? Thanks.

I think 4/18/82 is fantastic. But I am biased because that was my first show.  There is a unique "earthquake" space as well.

04-18-82 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, Ct. (Sun) 1: Bertha> Promised, FOTD> C. C. Rider, Ramble On, Me & My Uncle> Mexicali, Althea> L. L. Rain, Big RxR Blues, Let It Grow 2: Cold Rain> Samson, Ship Of Fools, Playin> Eyes> Drumz> Phil's Earthquake Space> Other One> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia> Playin> Sunshine Daydream E: Don't Ease

Sorry - Jerry Shows.

1974 - great year for Garcia and Saunders and Legion of Mary

G&S 2/5/74

LOM 7/22/74

1977- JGB

8/7/77 & 12/6/77 

JGB in 1976 & 1977 are pretty stoney. I like the 1978 a bit more.

1979 we saw the birth of Reconstruction (revamped LOM).

1980 is when he really took off with a very solid JGB. You can't go wrong with any show that featured

Eleanor Rigby -> After Midnight -> Eleanor Rigby.