Ya...

The colgate show had some good moments, but others from that era are much better and are in need of quality upgrade....like 15 October 1977 ---- in my opinion the best second set of 1977...

Good to know! I recently downloaded 10/15/77 but have not listened to it yet. I will have to console myself with that one...lol. Thanks.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(beating it like a dead horse)

QUINTET

Yes to the Q, though I'm compelled to say that the Lockn' version of Russo, Warren, Scofield and Modeski was right there with the Q in my book.

Not saying anyone here, per se, but it's amusing seeing the praise for Furthur after several years of people carping on them as a "cover" band, etc. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, and all. 

I always had fun at Furthur shows but it's not like I spin Furthur discs at home often. They were fun to catch but I'm not too sad about a demise, either.

Well I never carped on them as a "cover" band.  I thought they were great.  I don't listen to the recordings much if at all, if I'm going to listen to GD tunes I'll put on the GD, but I always loved seeing Furthur and thought they did a great job with the songbook, even with my frustrations with Weir.

I don't listen to the recordings much if at all, if I'm going to listen to GD tunes I'll put on the GD, but I always loved seeing Furthur and thought they did a great job with the songbook, even with my frustrations with Weir.

I have never seen Furthur but I have seen Ratdog a few times, and this describes my feelings about their shows perfectly.

I grew to like Furthur and looked forward to seeing them.  Alas, not to be.  Hope JK pulls something together.  I do not like The Dead with Warren.  He doesn't fit at all, IMO and the shows I've heard with them are not good.  But, I can see how the band might want to play with a guitarist who brings a different sound to the mix.

As far as live releases go, I thought that 1980 Dave's picks was pretty bad.  Who knows, I go back and forth.  Love the Dead, but at times it's a nostalgia trip.  Will definitely be interesting to see what happens in 2015.

With only one listen - I thought the latest was ok -- as stated, a lot of vocal flubs, but I think they play okay. Really enjoyed the Playin and short Other one.

It was nice to see Dick's notes - but I miss the usual essay. Was wondering who booked this show - since it was basically a homecoming event.

It would have been cool to get some history on the promotion and booking of the gig.

For the past two years, my in-laws have been buying me a subscription for Christmas (my wife told me they already did the same for 2015) - so I can't bitch too much about the releases - I always look forward to them. I do agree that some mid 80's shows should be released next year.

I say after the 13th pick -- either 60's or mid 80's for the next three....

Too bad about this news, saw some fantastic Furthur shows. I always liked JK's guitar playing and singing, never got why some folks were down on him. But all in all, over all the years,Phil and Friends was always the best take on the songbook I thought. As witnessed by this past weekend's shows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P&F, after the introduction of Jimmy & Warren (Fall '00 through about Summer '02) was absolutely the King of all Dead-centric bands post-Jerry. Anyone who argues against that is just being silly. Hell, I saw a number of shows in that period that were more thrilling than almost any Bruce-less '90s GD show I'd care to name. 

Ya...

The colgate show had some good moments, but others from that era are much better and are in need of quality upgrade....like 15 October 1977 ---- in my opinion the best second set of 1977...

I would've went with 11/6 Bingo instead,  only for the "Jimmy Page Truckin", if nothing else instead of 11/4. 

I grew to like Furthur and looked forward to seeing them.  Alas, not to be.  Hope JK pulls something together.  I do not like The Dead with Warren.  He doesn't fit at all, IMO and the shows I've heard with them are not good.  But, I can see how the band might want to play with a guitarist who brings a different sound to the mix.

JK has his own band and plays solo, too (coming around here next week). Good stuff. 

I think Warren fits nice in most any situation, including The Dead. kills it on tunes like Stella Blue, SOTM, etc.

For the past two years, my in-laws have been buying me a subscription for Christmas (my wife told me they already did the same for 2015) - so I can't bitch too much about the releases - I always look forward to them. 

That is very cool. I highly doubt I would have too many complaints if I got these for free. :lol

As it is, I can always find someone to buy them after I upload them to my iTunes...so I'm not angry or upset, just a little disappointed.

I would've went with 11/6 Bingo instead,  only for the "Jimmy Page Truckin", if nothing else instead of 11/4. 

Thanks for that recommendation, I will check it as well. I might already have it!

That 11.6. 77 Binghamton has been a long-standing fave of mine. Even have have a sbd tape of it for years. The second set is top-notch playing.

Is there any possibility of JK going back to DSO  --- I don't the back story to DSO - did he start the band or did someone else?

JK was an original member.

That 11.6. 77 Binghamton has been a long-standing fave of mine. Even have have a sbd tape of it for years. The second set is top-notch playing.

I've had that tape for years.  Funny you mention the second set, this is one of my favorite first sets of all time (along with Buffalo 5-9-77).  The Half Step opener is insane, the Music Never Stopped closer freakin rocks, and everything in between is totally top notch!  Anyone who hasn't heard this, I recommend it highly.

P&F, after the introduction of Jimmy & Warren (Fall '00 through about Summer '02) was absolutely the King of all Dead-centric bands post-Jerry. Anyone who argues against that is just being silly. Hell, I saw a number of shows in that period that were more thrilling than almost any Bruce-less '90s GD show I'd care to name. 

i put 98 other ones above plq.

The first batch of tapes I got included the Binghamton show and it is great.  I've probably listened to that Fire on the Mountain more than any other. 

The first batch of tapes I got included the Binghamton show and it is great.  I've probably listened to that Fire on the Mountain more than any other. 

I have most of my tapes in huge tupperwear bins after my ex took the cabinet I had them organized in years ago. I used to have every tape in order by  date (over 900 tapes) and very organized. Well, I've lost those organizational skills over the years and went searching for this show last night to no avail. I know the handwriting on it, that it's on a TDK (brown label), etc. Going to resume the search tonight because I want to hear the show again now, and I'd prefer to hear it on that old faithful of a tape....

I use to be organize with my tapes very well, too (no where near as many, though - maybe 200 or so on my end).

I know have tape of the 11/6/77 show, too --- it's funny that Lammy wrote remembering 'handwriting' --- 11/6/77 didn't ring a bell until I read that it was played at 'Broome County Arena' - I can picture the tape now (which is a Tupperware box in my garage, which I need to get back in the house). I may have only had the 1st set, though. Need to check.

Have it in my hard-drive, but I have not listened to it in awhile.

I have most of my tapes in huge tupperwear bins after my ex took the cabinet I had them organized in years ago. I used to have every tape in order by  date (over 900 tapes) and very organized. Well, I've lost those organizational skills over the years and went searching for this show last night to no avail. I know the handwriting on it, that it's on a TDK (brown label), etc. Going to resume the search tonight because I want to hear the show again now, and I'd prefer to hear it on that old faithful of a tape....

TDK?  What, you weren't using Maxell XL-II's?  :uhoh I had lots of cassettes, don't know how many but a lot, all organized chronologically of course, and most of which had custom made covers that I either made or got on the WELL or other boards and printed.  Some really nice artwork. Alas, I don't have my cassette machines hooked up (I had 2 Nak's), and I'm pretty sure I ditched most of the tapes.  It hurt me to do that.  But on the bright side, I have a new turntable going where one of the cassette decks would be.  I'm pretty sure I have  this Broome County Arena show somewhere on disc, either audio or shn files if anyone needs it I'll look for it.

Listening to 10/15/77 today and tonight, per the above recommendation. Great stuff! I also searched for 11/6, and found a copy of it online to download. Surprised I didn't already have it. Looking forward to listening to that next. Thanks for the suggestions, ya'll.

All this talk about the Fall 77 Tour....at this time I'll have to plug 10/29/77. Great show! So many highlights. Fantastic energy. The 1st set closer of Let It Grow is a blaze. If you've never heard this show seek it out and enjoy

All this talk about the Fall 77 Tour....at this time I'll have to plug 10/29/77. Great show! So many highlights. Fantastic energy. The 1st set closer of Let It Grow is a blaze. If you've never heard this show seek it out and enjoy

Definitely --- my friend who supplied me with Dead tapes went to NIU - so that was one of my first tapes --- great show.

Holy shitballs, this 11/6/77 show smokes. Thanks for the recommendation, gents, as I had never heard this before. Would have made a better release than Dave's 12 for sure! I haven't even gotten to Scarlet > Fire yet and I am psyched. Little to no lyric flubs, energetic playing and vocals, etc.

I've downloaded a lot of '77 this year, and still have 7 shows I just haven't gotten to yet. What should I listen to next? 4/25, 4/27, 9/28, 9/29, 10/1, 10/9, or 10/12?