• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have read rumors to that effect, but no official word yet, and the Lock'n lineup page has not been updated. Where did you get that info?

You're right, it's still conjecture at this point. My bad. I checked the links of folks who emailed me and it's still that Allen dude who's got the book out and the same rumor that's been floating around, all from him, for a couple of weeks. My bad.

I read an interview with Warren the other day. The interviewer was trying to get him to talk about such things. But he wouldn't comment. I take it he must be involved somehow or another. 

You're right, it's still conjecture at this point. My bad. I checked the links of folks who emailed me and it's still that Allen dude who's got the book out and the same rumor that's been floating around, all from him, for a couple of weeks. My bad.

Rumor monger. :lol

Did everyone see Phil's announcement yesterday?  To mark the 50th, Phil's doing 2 shows a month at Terrapin Station, with each show marking a different year in the band's history, starting with (I forget which) 1965 or '66.

I saw that announcement somewhere online, and found it kind of underwhelming. I would much rather see a list from the 70s or later. The 60s repertoire was pretty limited in terms of song selection.

I saw that announcement somewhere online, and found it kind of underwhelming. I would much rather see a list from the 70s or later. The 60s repertoire was pretty limited in terms of song selection.

That's why for the '60's shows he announced they will do a second set of more usual Phil and Friends sets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's why for the '60's shows he announced they will do a second set of more usual Phil and Friends sets.

Oh, cool. I didn't see that part. Hope people enjoy those shows...

Been listening to some acoustic Dead from 8/5/70. Has some rarities (Cocaine Blues, Drink Up And Go Home, I Hear A Voice Calling), so I downloaded it. Normally, I eat this stuff up, but this one is pretty boring, mainly because the vocals are badly buried in the mix. Oh well, on to some '73 next, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Both Gans and Jackson are my favorite two GD related writers/interviewers --- looking forward to the below book.

http://cloudsurfing.gdhour.com/archives/8066

From Gans' blog:

Submitted the manuscript

Today is the day I send my book manuscript in! It’s called This Is All a Dream We Dreamed: An Oral History of the Grateful Dead. I wrote it in collaboration with my friend and colleague (and neighbor) Blair Jackson. It is set to be published in the fall of 2015 by Flatiron Books.

This is the end of a three-year process that began with a different book. That one was cancelled when the publisher downsized. My agent shopped it around and got no takers (too esoteric), but Bob Miller, the head of Flatiron – who was the editor of my first book 30 years ago and has gone on to an illustrious career (founding head of Hyperion, among other achievements) said he’d love to work with me again and did I have anything else in mind? Blair and I had been kicking around the idea of an oral history, and my agent (who is also Blair’s agent) ordered us to do it.

I was able to use a lot of the material I had gathered for the other book, and Blair and I have nearly 80 years of Dead-related journalism between us. We gathered many new interviews over the last year to add to our existing resources. We spent several months working separately, grabbing stories from the interviews and putting them into buckets by year, and then we began stitching things together to weave the tale.

That process culminated with an intense period of work over the last week, finalizing everything. On Sunday 11/30, late at night after a long stretch of work, I took a big bong hit and blasted out a bunch of ideas for the intro and sent the file to Blair to respond and refine. That piece turned out to be a good deal closer to coherent and effective than I thought it was at the time, so it only took one or two bounces between us to call it a done deal.

The process has been amazingly friction-free. Blair and I have worked together off and on for nearly 40 years, and our editorial voices and sensibilities are similar enough that we have not had any problems creating a unified tone in the work.

I just sent the package off to our agent and our editor. There are a few little bits to finish here and there, and we need to come up with eleven photos, but 99% of it is done and we are happy with it.

Easily one of the finest shows of 1979...May 7, 1979...

https://archive.org/details/gd79-05-07.glassberg.vernon.18877.sbeok.shnf

I downloaded the above show earlier in the year but haven't gotten around to listen to it, yet. Probably will tomorrow night. (I believe you wrote the write-up in the Taper book - if so, nice write-up)

Listened to 12/14/71 - Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor, MI -- great, solid show.