• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Trey is a great pick. Surprised at all the negativity about the Trey choice (not here).  He sounded great when he played the Beacon with Phil.  Excellent choice in my book.

I am curious about this. When was that show? Is there a version of it on the archive?

I have mixed feelings about the Trey choice, but it's not contempt prior to investigation. Certainly it will likely bring in some fans who would not otherwise have been willing to go. On the other hand, I have not heard Trey doing any Dead tunes: haven't listened to any Phish in a good 10 years, with the exception of them covering Terrapin in August 2005. I was really underwhelmed by that, but then again, it didn't exactly have a bunch of leads in it. Anyone with a guitar could play the main theme. I know there is some genuine negativity about the choice on the dead.net forum and Facebook. C'est la vie.

I am curious about this. When was that show? Is there a version of it on the archive?

I was just listening to one that I have, 2-12-06, in the middle of one of the worst blizzards to hit NYC.  I don't think Trey was announced, I think he just walked over from his apartment.  Not sure about that, that's my memory.  I have a very good copy of this, you should really have it, so if you want it (you and anyone else) send me a PM and I'll put it in my Dropbox and send a link.

The Cryptical from that Beacon show is pretty stunning. Trey also played Phil's 3 comeback shows  in 98, which were incredible and essentially revitalized Phil and the Dead community. And he's sat in with Phil numerous other times, particularly during this joint tour they did together:

http://youtu.be/Dt30SJZqgA4

But some people are just not gonna like him.

The Cryptical from that Beacon show is pretty stunning. Trey also played Phil's 3 comeback shows  in 98, which were incredible and essentially revitalized Phil and the Dead community. And he's sat in with Phil numerous other times, particularly during this joint tour they did together:

http://youtu.be/Dt30SJZqgA4

But some people are just not gonna like him.

That St. Stephen is outstanding!

I have a very good copy of this, you should really have it, so if you want it (you and anyone else) send me a PM and I'll put it in my Dropbox and send a link.

I just might do that. Thanks for the offer!

Boy, the internet is abuzz with all sorts of stuff about this 50th reunion thing. Lots of classic stuff in the comments sections, on Facebook and elsewhere.

My favorite so far: "They should just play Dark Star for three days. End of story."

:rotfl

Here's another Phil show with Trey. Right after Trey was busted and sobered up. The whole thing smokes. 

https://archive.org/details/paf2007-10-20.Shaunpeker.Muletaper.88952.flac16

And here's another good one I was at. Vegas show that started after midnight. Things got a little foggy in the second set, but good time. With Medeski too.

https://archive.org/details/pat2006-10-28.set1.aud.flac16

https://archive.org/details/phil2006-10-28.set2.aud.flac16

Speaking of books, I did read Greenfield's Dark Star last month --- it was depressing as all hell --- I almost stopped reading it, because from the 80's on, it was a pretty much a disaster (health-wise) for Garcia. The whole book is way too "tabloidy".

I just finished Rock Scully's book this weekend, and am starting the Greenfield book next. Scully really sounded Hunter S. Thompson-ish.

Amazing how many people used to dose unsuspecting strangers back in the day. Pretty sick puppies.

The last 72 hours on FB has just been exhausting. I'm ready to shut off all my GD-related pages for a bit. The trolling even seeped into the DNB page. JEEZ.

I'm a bit surprised at how little I care about this reunion thing. But I've been to Soldier in July, and lemme tell ya it ain't the Garden of Fucking Eden that's for sure. If it was Deer Creek, or even Alpine I might give it more consideration. A couch tour, with cold microbrews, air conditioning, and a clean bathroom 20 feet away sounds like something I'll be doing, if available.

The Trey bashing is getting a bit much. Hey, we all have our own tastes, that's ok, but anyone who wouldn't acknowledge that Anastasio is a guitarist of considerable skill has evidently succumbed to a prejudice that no amount of reasoning will cure. I would have LOVEd to see Sless in that spot, but hell even if they snagged John McLaughlin someone would be bitching. 

I agree - my heart says keep an open mind about the Chicago shows, but my head tells me to stay far away from this.

I have been to Soldier Field as well - and it sucks. Stadium shows in general suck. My other primary fear of going to this run of shows is that I would have to sit through a Hell in a Bucket>Sugaree opener (for that 200th time) and an Aiko>Women>Terrapin (for the 100th time). No thanks. With all the talk about a short run covering NYC, Chicago, Red Rocks and SF - this all seems a bit forced to me. I am not all convinced that they really, truly want to do this. I really don't think Phil or Mickey want to do it at all.

That said, I think Trey is the best pick for the role for a bunch of reasons - not the least of which is the moment won't make him shit his pants. I think Trey, Hornsby and Phil will be ready to play - I am not sure about the rest of them. I'm with Mountain Bed - cold micros, my large screen with excellent sound - and no lines for the toilet.

The last 72 hours on FB has just been exhausting. I'm ready to shut off all my GD-related pages for a bit. The trolling even seeped into the DNB page. JEEZ.

I'm a bit surprised at how little I care about this reunion thing. But I've been to Soldier in July, and lemme tell ya it ain't the Garden of Fucking Eden that's for sure. If it was Deer Creek, or even Alpine I might give it more consideration. A couch tour, with cold microbrews, air conditioning, and a clean bathroom 20 feet away sounds like something I'll be doing, if available.

The Trey bashing is getting a bit much. Hey, we all have our own tastes, that's ok, but anyone who wouldn't acknowledge that Anastasio is a guitarist of considerable skill has evidently succumbed to a prejudice that no amount of reasoning will cure. I would have LOVEd to see Sless in that spot, but hell even if they snagged John McLaughlin someone would be bitching.

I agree with all of that. Hoping for a nice couch tour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another 72 show for Dave's Pick 14  (Definitely agree another era would be kinda of nice).

"We're really thrilled to reveal that Dave's Picks Vol. 14, another complete show in the series, is from the majestic (and highly sought-after!) gig on March 26, 1972 at the Academy Of Music in New York City. In addition to powerful workouts on the usual 1972 jamming vehicles "The Other One" and "Good Lovin'," this show features the prototype of what would be become the typical Europe '72 setlist a couple of weeks later. Our 2015 Dave's Picks subscribers' Bonus Disc (available for only a couple of more days if you subscribe) is drawn from a couple of other unreleased nights at the Academy Of Music during the Dead's week-long run before they left for Europe."

Listening to a somewhat new circulated audience tape this morning -- somewhat decent tape and great playing, first time listening to it. Archive lists only Billy on drums, but I though Mickey was around until  2/71.

https://archive.org/details/gd1971-01-21.131516.aud.miller.flac24

Collection: GratefulDead
Band/Artist: Grateful Dead
Date: January 21, 1971 (check for other copies)
Venue: Freeborn Hall, University of California

Source: AUD (Unknown Gear) -> ? -> Reel (Maxell UD 35-90 @ 3.75ips)
Lineage: Reel (Akai GX636) -> Apogee Mini-Me (24bit/96k) -> Apogee Mini-DAC -> Wavelab v5 -> FLAC/24
Taped by: Sandy Troy
Transferred by: Charlie Miller, Matt Smith, Joe B. Jones
Keywords: Audience; Charlie Miller; 24 bit; Sandy Troy; Matt Smith; Joe B. Jones

Description

Set 1

Cold Rain & Snow, Me & My Uncle, Smokestack Lightning > Truckin', Dire Wolf, Hard To Handle, Sugar Magnolia, Black Peter, Around & Around, Cumberland Blues, Casey Jones

Set 2

That's It For The Other One > Cosmic Charlie, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Uncle John's Band

New Riders Of The Purple Sage Opened

Jerry Garcia - Guitar
Bob Weir - Guitar
Ron "Pigpen" McKernan - Keyboards, Harmonica
Phil Lesh - Bass
Bill Kreutzmann - Drums

Another 72 show for Dave's Pick 14  (Definitely agree another era would be kinda of nice).

I was psyched to see this on dead.net, as I have the subscription and am already looking forward to the upcoming '74 DaP. I love '72, and only have a few shows from the spring. But there's no doubt the announcement displeased more than a few people.

Here are some excerpts from archive discussions back in 2012. Apparently, David Gans played a newly-discovered tape of the show on the radio in 2008?

“…This is one of the HOTTEST shows of the year, in my opinion. For years I'd built the show up as probably being the greatest thing ever recorded, simply because of its inaccessibility. I was afraid I might have created expectations that were too high and could never be lived up to, but I was wrong. The Truckin>Other One jam is simply phenomenal.”

“i once asked charlie [Miller] about this run and he pretty much said that unless they release it as a box set, there's no chance we'll hear the sbds.”

“The reason this run never circulated is because it was part of the Betty Boards that did NOT go to traders who copied & seeded them - the guy who bought this set of reels wanted no one to have them (or, to be precise, he wanted a million dollars), and copies ended up going back to the Vault after Rob Eaton restored them.”

“With 3/26/72, nothing's available to us except MP3s of radio broadcasts. This is not pristine listening. Though I think Miller has a copy of the master reels, the Dead organization probably asked him not to issue them since it's one of the few uncirculated shows they have for possible release in the future.”

And then here is more than any sane person could possibly want to read about the show itself:

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2012/03/32672-academy-of-music.html

watching The Grateful Dead Movie again- stumbled on it- kinda like "The Godfather", if ya stumble across a favorite, you must watch until at the very least, the next commercial (thread topic?)

anyhoo, as I'm watching a couple of thoughts crossed my mind:

Billy carries the weight on this 74 show. Billy: DRUMMER. Mickey: percussionist?????

Everyone appears to be totally, beautifully rank.

I want to make my non-dead friends (last one out, turn the lights off) friends sit through it.

This should be put in a time capsule- the attitudes, the background, the styles.

And thanks for laugh out loud sincere unintentional humor, too.

The  wonderful "Where are they now" imagination station.

The pure bliss of the fans.

The pure bliss of the playing.

I agree - my heart says keep an open mind about the Chicago shows, but my head tells me to stay far away from this.

I have been to Soldier Field as well - and it sucks. Stadium shows in general suck. My other primary fear of going to this run of shows is that I would have to sit through a Hell in a Bucket>Sugaree opener (for that 200th time) and an Aiko>Women>Terrapin (for the 100th time). No thanks. With all the talk about a short run covering NYC, Chicago, Red Rocks and SF - this all seems a bit forced to me. I am not all convinced that they really, truly want to do this. I really don't think Phil or Mickey want to do it at all.

That said, I think Trey is the best pick for the role for a bunch of reasons - not the least of which is the moment won't make him shit his pants. I think Trey, Hornsby and Phil will be ready to play - I am not sure about the rest of them. I'm with Mountain Bed - cold micros, my large screen with excellent sound - and no lines for the toilet.

Trey will not be ready to play.  Nobody ever solos in these shows.  They just dick around and are almost inaudible.  That Trey St. Stephen is an outlier.  JK kind of started soloing by the end of Furthur.  Jerry soloed the entire night!  Hornsby, Mickey and Billy will lay low.  Phil will nail it, as he does every night.  Bob will sing well, but pull they tempo way down.  They will be under-rehearsed and play tunes they never rehearsed.  It will be a slog.  I feel like I should go to maintain my Dead credibility, I know I'd just be pissed.  I do have some hope they pull it off though.  Really tighten up a setlist and that Trey actually solos (which he doesn't even do anymore in his own band or phish).

RE: soloing, I always went to see phish and the dead to hear the tunes I loved, some experimentation AND the fat, linear, complete solos they'd do.  That's been gone from these two bands for almost 20 years now.  Started with phish in 97.

Sorry to rant   :-)