• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to this Springfield '78 during work break and forgot how great the show is. It's an official release. The "Dancin" is very spirited with some laughter and goofiness in the beginning and shenanigans at the end. The "Werewolves" encore is smokin', too. I often overlook '78 for some reason in deference to 77 or 79 when selecting a show to play....

https://archive.org/details/gd78-05-11.aud.vernon.6317.sbeok.shnf

Both Gans and Jackson are my favorite two GD related writers/interviewers --- looking forward to the below book.

http://cloudsurfing.gdhour.com/archives/8066

From Gans' blog:

I wonder if this new book will be in the same format as Playing In The Band or maybe it will along the lines of that Allman Brothers book?

Not sure how the Playing book was laid-out - can't remember if I read it (I am sure I checked it out from a library at one point - I do recall the Playing book cover). I am guessing it will be like the ABB book.

Gans' Conversations with the Dead is a good one.

I have that Playing In The Band book. It is a bunch of interviews and quotes arranged to fit certain topics. I bought it back in the early 1990s I think. I have not read the Conversations book. 

Listening to this Springfield '78 during work break and forgot how great the show is. It's an official release. The "Dancin" is very spirited with some laughter and goofiness in the beginning and shenanigans at the end. The "Werewolves" encore is smokin', too. I often overlook '78 for some reason in deference to 77 or 79 when selecting a show to play....

https://archive.org/details/gd78-05-11.aud.vernon.6317.sbeok.shnf

Spring '78 is still very much the same animal as Fall '77. But Fall '78 paves the way for what's going to happen in '79 - I'm thinking specifically about Jerry's guitar tone here. The show you linked is the "mescaline sulfate" show. WACKY stuff in the Dancin' & Werewolves. 

Gans' s Conversations... book is excellent. There're interviews with Healy and Owsley in there, too, iirc.

That is a nice read.

Rumor mill on dead.net has it that there will be some August '71 Dead pooting forth in 2015, part of the "houseboat tapes" stash. That led me to check out the 8/14/71 show on archive.org and holy cannoli, this has some smokin' versions of classic Dead. If ol' Dave chooses this for a Pick, I might forgive him all his previous errors. :lol

https://archive.org/details/gd71-08-14.sbd.ladner.21268.sbeok.shnf

Check out Hard to Handle. Jerry is on fire!

happy news. gang!

that viola-cumberland-viola from last night's philrad appears to be the RealDeal.

it's truly the beeskness.

Received the Garcia Live Vol. 5 (1975 NYE w/ a fucked up Nicky Hopkins) and Dave's Pick's Vol 12 (Colgate 11.4.77) as bday gifts a week or so ago. First commercial GD/JGB stuff I've had in a couple years save for the Sunshine Daydream discs). I've always enjoyed the NYE JGB show as Hopkins attempts to run the show and Garcia just cuts him off. 

Also caught Melvin/JGB on my birthday (same ol' decent fun) and for NYE saw JK, Chimenti, Jay Lane and some other dude as The Golden Gate Warriors. Tepid as all hell.

From what I read, Hopkins had no recollection of the period he spent touring with Garcia. Yikes!

Bobby Keys had some good Hopkins stories in his autobiography too.

It's amazing the number of bands he played with: Beatles, Stones, Kinks, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Jeff Beck, Quicksilver Messenger Service, etc.

Nicky Hopkins was also on John Lennon's Imagine Album - piano & electric piano on "Jealous Guy", "Oh My Love" and "How Do You Sleep?"

Added a nice flavor to the JGB for a time even if he was a little pickled.

Listened to JGB 3/1/1980, Capital Theatre over the weekend. I loves me some Jerry so it was a fun show to listen to although the keyboards were godawful and some moron in the audience kept blowing up a balloon and then making screeching sounds with it.

Listened to JGB 3/1/1980, Capital Theatre over the weekend. I loves me some Jerry so it was a fun show to listen to although the keyboards were godawful and some moron in the audience kept blowing up a balloon and then making screeching sounds with it.

Sorry about that. I used to do some shit that was pretty annoying to others when I was dosed.