Politics 2016 (election edition)

I don't think Trump is "unhinged", "nuts", "a Fascist", etc. He is very calculating. Trump says things that he doesn't really believe and wouldn't actually do. He has simply hit on what seems to be a winning formula and is both running with it and having fun with it. I am convinced that he and his inner circle sit around after events and appearances drinking scotch and laughing their asses off at what he said and how well it was received. 

I don't know if that is any better.  In fact I that is probably worse.  The fact that Trump is sitting there playing on the fear and stupidity of the Republican party and laughing about it.  Ugh.   

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Trump is focused on winning a dis doing and saying what he thinks will get him the victory. That's why he can make outrageous statements like building a wal and having Mexico pay for it, or banning Muslims etc... That's what plays to the base these days. Once the general election is underway I think he will tack to the center. That being said, I still think he is a dangerous candidate. Of course I thought Bush was a bad and dangerous candidate and he got elected 2x.

Was listening to XM's POTUS today on the way to work and a Trump adviser was being interview -- mostly talking about trade and such --- gotta admit, the guy was talking with a lot of sense. 

Was listening to XM's POTUS today on the way to work and a Trump adviser was being interview -- mostly talking about trade and such --- gotta admit, the guy was talking with a lot of sense. 

I am sure he did.  However, even if Trump and his advisors were the smartest men in the world when it comes to trade, economic policies, etc. there is no way he should be excused for his misogynistic, racist, xenophobic, bullying, hateful remarks.  Whether this is just theatre, or he actually believes these things, his rhetoric has no place in society, other to be ridiculed and scorned.  

People seem to be softening to Trump (and not to say that you are doing this specifically).  Brushing off his rhetoric as either a grand joke, saying that he will swing to the center once the GOP nominee, or he makes sense on position X.  HIs rhetoric has proven he is dangerous and hateful man and in no way should be the leader of our country.

With that being said Romney is blasting Trump on his taxes.  By this point in the 2012 election, Mitt and all the other candidates where basically shamed in putting out their taxes.  To what end this had on Romney's loss, I don't know, but it was out there and people were not thrilled by the amount of taxes he paid.  I do think Romney is right, all the nominees should release their taxes (and Clinton needs to release her speaking fees from large banks).  It will give us information on the candidate.  I think if Trump releases his taxes we will find out he is not as wealthy as he says he is.  Which will put his "can't be bought or sold" line in jeopardy.  Or maybe he made some donation to Plan Parenthood, or some other liberal cause.       

This entire election cycle can't end soon enough.  Glad the bulk of the primaries are finally around the corner.  I am tired of both parties and all the candidates, even the one I plan to vote for. 

LouieB

I am sure he did.  However, even if Trump and his advisors were the smartest men in the world when it comes to trade, economic policies, etc. there is no way he should be excused for his misogynistic, racist, xenophobic, bullying, hateful remarks.  Whether this is just theatre, or he actually believes these things, his rhetoric has no place in society, other to be ridiculed and scorned.  

People seem to be softening to Trump (and not to say that you are doing this specifically).  Brushing off his rhetoric as either a grand joke, saying that he will swing to the center once the GOP nominee, or he makes sense on position X.  HIs rhetoric has proven he is dangerous and hateful man and in no way should be the leader of our country.

With that being said Romney is blasting Trump on his taxes.  By this point in the 2012 election, Mitt and all the other candidates where basically shamed in putting out their taxes.  To what end this had on Romney's loss, I don't know, but it was out there and people were not thrilled by the amount of taxes he paid.  I do think Romney is right, all the nominees should release their taxes (and Clinton needs to release her speaking fees from large banks).  It will give us information on the candidate.  I think if Trump releases his taxes we will find out he is not as wealthy as he says he is.  Which will put his "can't be bought or sold" line in jeopardy.  Or maybe he made some donation to Plan Parenthood, or some other liberal cause.       

They were talking about Romney and Trump's taxes too --- the dude said  "it takes a long time to gather all the information" (the standard reply when it comes to this stuff, which always cracks me.)

Trump's adviser didn't persuade me in the slightest - but it was a nice, refreshing political interview for once, but POTUS is great place to hear such interviews. Big fan of Tim Farley.

I still find it all hilarious. It can't be news to everyone that many Americans are idiots. They have just been waiting for someone to unite them. Trump and/or his advisors, are political alchemists because they found a way to appeal to evangelicals, xenophobes, sovereign citizens, conspiracy theorists, the working class, the wealthy, the poor, whites, non-whites, the young, the old, the highly educated, the poorly educated, the sane, the insane, hell, you name the group, he has some supporters among them. Yes, those groups have always had some overlap, but a full on Christian like Cruz or Santorum could never get enough support from non-evangelicals and a Christie or Rubio could never get enough support from committed religious nuts. 

I saw this poll the other night. One has to wonder how this question was phrased.  I mean if they left out the Lincoln and the historical context it is possible (as crazy as it seems) that the respondents were doing the usual "no executive order is justified" routine.  But let's be honest, we all know racism is alive and well, and while the left is wringing it's hands over "micro-aggressions", "trigger warnings" and "white privilege", the folks who don't give a shit about these more subtle issues are just flat out bigots and hatemongers.  While the left wing debates our issues, the right wing knows we are just a bunch of cranks and idiots.

There is probably no way to bridge this divide.  On the very rare occasion when I can stomach right wing radio for a few minutes, it becomes clear that the right wing thinks that the left wing is also just a bunch of idiots and bigots in our own right. They hold Barack, Bernie, Hillary and anyone slightly to further left of center as being failures and morons and criminals.  Meanwhile even the "establishment" GOP is beginning to get cozy with the idea of Trump being their nominee.  At some point it isn't going to matter that they dissed the shit out of him for the past 6 or so months.  Meanwhile the left needs to get used to the same idea that Hillary may be the nominee of the left of center crowd, no matter what her faults may be.  Because, rest assured, the right thinks she is a commie anyway.

LouieB

David Duke - see it doesn't matter.  The right wing always comes around to anyone who shades their point of view. Only the left is going to split ideological hairs and stay home.

Edit- and one more thing......  While the media continues to say that the millennials are trending Bernie, it seems like the footage from the Trump rallies features quite a few folks from this demographic. 

LouieB

The Economist/YouGov Poll
Sample 2000 General Population Respondents
49. Do you approve or disapprove of the executive order which Freed all slaves in the states that were in rebellion against the federal government

Approve strongly 53%
Approve somewhat 17%
Disapprove somewhat 8%
Disapprove strongly 5%
Not sure 17%

Speaking of not sure, I'm not sure how that gets translated to "Nearly 20% of Trump Fans Think Freeing the Slaves Was a Bad Idea"

You tossed in "the highly educated" as a joke, right?

In other news:

http://time.com/4236640/donald-trump-racist-supporters/

Being highly educated doesn't preclude someone from being an idiot. I'm certain that many Trump supporters have bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees.

Thanks for posting the actual question.  That does muddy the waters a bit I suppose (as I suspected.)  Couching it as a states rights issue will catch a lot of people disagreeing with the federal government/executive branch taking action.  Of course not understanding that slavery was just flat out wrong seems like a no brainer to most people, but who knows. 

LouieB

holy crap did you see those grown ass men act that way on national television? jeeeeeesus

I did not see it live only read about it. But then I saw the clips on the news. Jeeeeesus is right. If I was a conservative I would be embarrassed.

It was an incredible, hilarious, flaming pile of dog shit.

I have to wonder if any of the Trumpers felt rattled when Rubio talked about Donald hiring illegals and his two defenses were: a. It was very hot that summer and hard to get part time help and b. That was a long time ago.