Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything you say except above. This is empirically false. There has been negative reaction against the acceptance our laws now grant, no doubt. Overall, though, I can't think of a better time to be gay in America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many state and local politicians in Texas actively trying to pass legislation and ordinances to hamper the rights of the LGBT community under the guise of religious freedom. Women thought that abortion rights were somewhat absolute in this country as a result of federal jurisprudence, and those rights are being trampled upon. If Ted Cruz's gang has it their way the LGBT rights will follow.

I was amazed they all stated that they would back Trump if he ends up the nominee.

That frankly was the most astounding part. Basically through the course they called Trump a cheat, liar, bigot, who will not only ruin the GOP, America itself. But he is better then Clinton/Sanders? So it was just theatre. Spineless, all spineless.

Well they all did sign a "contract" prior to the election that they would support whomever was elected- so there is that. I don't have a problem with all the candidates still sticking with it - they all are still in the race. I don't think any of them will be standing behind him, like Christie, anytime soon, though. Maybe Cruz. But I don't think Rubio or Kasich ever will.

Robert Johnson supposedly swapped  his soul to the devil to be a Blues guitar genius, so I guess anything is possible. 

I'm confused about how Bernie Sanders can win the popular vote in, say, Colorado a few days ago but the "super delegates", no pun intended, trump that and say Hillary wins. Wtf is the point in the common man/woman even showing up to vote? It's a broken and corrupt  system, through and through, that dictates that the general public doesn't matter. At least, that's how I feel. I'm going back to writing in Gary Coleman as my choice. 

Robert Johnson supposedly swapped  his soul to the devil to be a Blues guitar genius, so I guess anything is possible. 

I'm confused about how Bernie Sanders can win the popular vote in, say, Colorado a few days ago but the "super delegates", no pun intended, trump that and say Hillary wins. Wtf is the point in the common man/woman even showing up to vote? It's a broken and corrupt  system, through and through, that dictates that the general public doesn't matter. At least, that's how I feel. I'm going back to writing in Gary Coleman as my choice. 

Here is a good understanding of what a superdelegate is (from wikipedia): 

In United States politics, a "superdelegate" is a delegate to the Democratic National Convention that is seated automatically and chooses whom they want to vote for. TheseDemocratic Party superdelegates include distinguished party leaders and elected officials, including all Democratic members of the House and Senate and sitting Democratic governors. Other superdelegates are chosen during the primary season. Democratic superdelegates are free to support any candidate for the nomination. This contrasts with convention "pledged" delegates that are selected based on the party primaries and caucuses in each U.S. state, in which voters choose among candidates for the party'spresidential nomination. Because they are free to support anyone they want, superdelegates could potentially swing the results to nominate a presidential candidate that did not receive the majority of votes during the primaries. 

One thing that you have to remember is although Bernie Sanders is running for the Democratic Party's nomination for president, he is not a Democrat. He is an independent.  The superdelegates are generally (not always) beholden to the Democratic Party and thus Debbie Wasserman Schultz and ultimately Clinton.  It gives greater power to party officials and the establishment.  It was a way to ensure the most qualified candidate would become the party's nominee.  If the Democrat party did not have superdelegates there could be a real chance that a loudmouth, racist, misogynistic, failed business man, reality star, could be a serious contender for the party's nomination.  And if the Democratic party did that I sure would be embarrassed.      

Like it or not (and I am not saying it is a good or bad system) it is the party rules and have been the party rules for 50 or so years.  It is not like this has been sprung on the Sanders campaign, they would have to know that the superdelegates would go to Clinton.  It would have to play into their strategy.  Yes it does diminish the power of the general voting populace, but it is the rules.  You certainly can complain about the rules, but they cannot be changed.  Or at least in this election cycle.  

The superdelegate fight is about to help turn the Dem race on its head:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2852213/nancy-pelosi-just-dropped-presidential-campaign-bombshell/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/obamas-justice-department-gave-bernie-sanders-presidency_b_9372012.html

Both of those pieces are bulging with hyperbole, but what could be happening here is astonishing.

The superdelegate fight is about to help turn the Dem race on its head:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2852213/nancy-pelosi-just-dropped-presidential-campaign-bombshell/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/obamas-justice-department-gave-bernie-sanders-presidency_b_9372012.html

Both of those pieces are bulging with hyperbole, but what could be happening here is astonishing.

Wow. 

New debate rule: no talking about your junk.

I second that!

I completely expected Trump to comment on Rubio's "hands" comment at some point, but I guess I thought (hoped) it would happen at some rally, not at a presidential debate. Awful. I was shrieking at my TV when it happened.

And as for Rubio, I think he's destroyed his career. He just comes off as childish to me now.

Kasich is the only sane one of the bunch. Or does he just appear sane because the others are so nuts?

I'd love it if there were no audience in the debate. Maybe some of these no class playground comments the candidates hurl at each other would fall flat if there were no rowdy applause to support them.

Not that it has anything to do with the debates but I feel the same way when I watch Real Time with Bill Maher. Smart ass comments sound a lot like dumb ass comments when there's not a crowd to cheer them on.

I'd certainly rather see Cruz elected than Trump.

I wouldn't. Cruz is a seasoned politician who is both savvy and evil (my opinion, of course--I assume yours is different). Trump, on the other hand, is such a crazy ass wildcard that I think he would be impeached. Of course, that means it'll be pretty important to see who his running mate is.