Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little surprised Carson endorsed Trump.

I don't recall Trump ever going after Carson or vice versa (not that either of them really needed to)  -- both 'outside Washington DC' guys, too.

Not for nothing, but the easy availability to procure a gun is directly related to suicide rates.

Suicide rates are a cultural phenomenon. South Korea has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world, yet they're atop the suicide stats.

Japanese hang themselves, the British jump in front of trains and Americans blow their brains out. Where there's a will...

Guns are perfectly safe. They're just hunks of metal, wood and plastic that are designed to do one thing: fire when the trigger is pulled. Gun manufacturers would have an obligation to improve the safety of their products if they fired without a trigger pull, if they exploded in a user's hands or if they shot bullets 90 degrees away from where they were pointed. Those things simply don't happen without negligence on the shooter's part.

Guns are safe. If we want to reduce gun crime and suicide by gun we shouldn't point fingers at gun manufacturers, that's what law enforcement and mental health facilities are for.

I agree with all of the above. Since problems are due to negligence on the shooter's part, that is why completing a rigorous gun safety course and passing a gun safety exam in order to qualify for a gun ownership license that would enable someone to legally own a gun should be federal law. 

Suicide rates are a cultural phenomenon. South Korea has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world, yet they're atop the suicide stats.

Japanese hang themselves, the British jump in front of trains and Americans blow their brains out. Where there's a will...

Suicide rates by guns, in particular, in the U.S. are a cultural phenomenon as the ease of availability directly impacts the rates.

Suicide rates by guns, in particular, in the U.S. are a cultural phenomenon as the ease of availability directly impacts the rates.

Sure, but all I'm really concerned about is the overall suicide rate, not the method. I've visited the UK 4 times and every trip I've had my train stop because someone had jumped in front of a speeding train. At least gun suicides don't impede traffic...

Sure, but all I'm really concerned about is the overall suicide rate, not the method. I've visited the UK 4 times and every trip I've had my train stop because someone had jumped in front of a speeding train. At least gun suicides don't impede traffic...

Cool. Tighter gun laws, such as permit-to-purchase, reduce suicide rates overall, though. Limiting the ease of access to guns saves lives.

Doesn't anyone else get tired of talking about guns? Nothing is changing.

Anytime I gun story, I say, oh I am not gonna get involved into this one and

they-pull-me-back-in-image.jpg

After about a day or so I realize it is fruitless and a waste of my time.  

Anyway, how about the GOP debate last night?  It seems that Rubio, Cruz and Kasich are pretty much resigned to the fact that Trump will be the GOP nominee.  What was interesting without the childish and boorish behavior of the previous debates, it shows that these four guys do not have much of plan for anything and they tend to speak in half truths and fear.  

Interesting. I've visited the U.K. 7 times and on none of the trips have I had my train stop because someone had jumped in front of a speeding train. Clearly, I have been quite lucky to never have a delay, in spite of the frequency of the "suicide by train" British cultural phenomenon

Well Kasich needs to win his own damn state. I guess little Marco thinks maybe in a pinch those votes will end up with him.

:LouieB

I think it is all the play that Romney set out awhile back to stop Trump.  Republicans in Ohio vote for Kasich, in FLA vote Rubio.  That way it will keep Trump from getting his 51% of the delegates.  Thus bringing a brokered convention and keeping Trump from being the nominee.  

Notice Romney did not endorse anyone.  Seem to be maybe he might make a play at a brokered convention.  That would be interesting.  

I agree with BleedOrange.  It will be an interesting Tuesday.  If it plays out like Romney wants, it will be a shit show for sure.  

I'm still amused that Kanye blowing coke out of Kardashian's bosom and improper seat belt usage are invoked in pro-gun arguments by the same people that also claim that the real problem is mental health. 

Mirrors before guns, I say.

Oh, and by the way, if everyone would shut up about Drumpf he would eventually go away. So shut up about him, and start talking about the serious candidates and the issues they discuss.

Oh, and by the way, if everyone would shut up about Drumpf he would eventually go away. So shut up about him, and start talking about the serious candidates and the issues they discuss.

Doesn't anyone else get tired of talking about Trump? Nothing is changing.

In what world is that a possibility anymore?  Like it or not he is the GOP frontrunner and the probably nominee of the party.  Unfortunately at this point it is the media's duty to talk about him.  He is news, he is newsworthy.  What the media has failed to do is actually do any reporting on Trump himself, actually discuss his views.  Point out what a bigoted, horrible person he is, point out what a poor business man he really is.  And when they did Trump just turned it back and criticized the media.  Remember when he refused to participate in the FoxNews debate because Megyn Kelly was unfair to him?  She wasn't unfair, she asked a tough question.  But who came out the villian on that one?  It was Kelly.  Look at how he treats the media now?  They are scared of him.

The only real actual reporting of Trump has come from the fake news shows (Oliver and the Daily Show), although true and scathing takedowns, it has done nothing to stick.  The major news outlets have failed.  He remember when he was going to look into putting out his tax returns?  That will never happen.  He knows it, the media knows it.  The media doesn't care.    

If anything we need to talk more about Trump.  We need to remind people that he has said racist, xenophobic, misogynist things, encourages violence against people who protest against him, and he is a serial liar, who probably wants to bang his daughter.  We are stuck with him probably until November (and heaven forbid longer).  We ignored him or pushed him aside for too long, saying he is a joke candidate, not serious, has no chance, etc.  Now we are on the precipice of him becoming the GOP nominee for President and one step closer to being the President of the United States.     

The only real actual reporting of Trump has come from the fake news shows (Oliver and the Daily Show), although true and scathing takedowns, it has done nothing to stick.  The major news outlets have failed.  He remember when he was going to look into putting out his tax returns?  That will never happen.  He knows it, the media knows it.  The media doesn't care.    

NPR covered all of the Trump products he didn't make, but turned into an infomercial at his victory speech earlier in the week.  I'd say the shadiness of his business claims is pretty universally known, but then again I don't watch folks or network news.

Trump rally stopped in Chicago tonight. Looks like as many anti-Trumpers got in as there were pro-Trumpers.  While I do not advocate violence or shutting down opposing views, everyone should have their voice heard, even if that voice is horrid., I do find it refreshing that the trumpites are getting a taste of their own medicine tonight.

Also I found this to be amusing...

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160310/lincoln-park/wieners-circle-sells-trump-footlong3-inch-hot-dogsthis-weekend

I also fear that this will bring out the people who will, ummmm not use their fists and big boy words anymore.  I have a feeling that the violence of Trump rallies will get worse, the us against them vibe is so damned strong with him and his crowd.  Still less of a fucktard than Cruz.

Trump had a rally at UIC  --- pretty much in the heart of downtown Chicago. 

Does anybody really think Trump didn't see this protest coming? (and was hoping for it)

Perfect coverage for his campaign --- he had the entire evening to personally talk to every national cable news outlet.

Bravo!