Politics 2016 (election edition)

I agree. I would rather see a Sanders presidency (even w/the heavy risk it would destroy the economy), and I have never been a Clinton fan (never voted for Bill for the same reasons I wouldn't want to vote for her - and those reasons have been laid out well here by others), but her winning would be mean we dodged having a hateful blowhard with a baby carrot cock in the Oval Office and we could expect basically more of the same that we'd had in the previous eight (very good) years.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because this country is so divided, maybe mediocrity is all we can expect.  Those on the left believe that if only we had Bernie Sanders all our problems would be solved (Obama was way too much of a centrist) and those on the right believe just as fervently that if we had Trump or Cruz all our problems would be solved. I am not sure how you rectify those divergent positions in any way that would make either side happy.  Meanwhile the country remains in a morass.  This is the reason the pendulum swings back and forth because neither side seems to be able to produce the results some of the population wants. (We are not alone on this.)

LouieB

So if this thing goes to a contested convention and Trump gets the Republican nominee yanked out from under him, does this become the first time in modern politics where we have a "legitimate" third party? Granted, they won't beat Hillary if it comes down to it this year but it is possible that a 3rd party is created that can actually pull votes.  Sometimes you have to go all the way to the bottom before you can start rebuilding. The country is far from the bottom contrary to what the 24 hour networks want you to believe but we may be at the bottom as far as major political parties coexisting amicably.  This could be the beginning of an "anti" party party.

I wonder how the attacks in Belgium will impact the rest of the race.  While a horrible tragedy, it will like mean a boon to Clinton and Trump.  Cause both are "seen" a having a tough foreign policy in contrast of their opponents.  

However it should be noted that Trump's foreign policy is a bunch of vague, xenophobic, impractical, reactionary rhetoric.  

But here we go with another round of keep Syrian's out, keep Muslims out, close the borders, etc., etc. etc.  

The irony here is when there is a mass shooting in America, any mention of gun control laws are met by the Right with fury and scorn, as they would trample on our proud heritage as a nation.  But if there is an attack overseas, the Right wants to close our borders, keep immigrants out, etc., cause you know immigration is not part of our heritage at all.  

Oh and here is a fine gem from the Junior Senator from Texas.  

Empower law enforcement to patrol and secure Muslim neighborhoods

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/22/471405546/u-s-officials-and-politicians-react-to-brussels-attacks

WTF?  That is so completely outrageous and stupid.  It baffles my mind that after reading what he wrote down, he thought, oh yeah that sounds like a good, sane, non horrible thing to say in response to this tragedy.  Jesus man, I am not sure if Cruz himself is just pandering to the American idiots out there or he actually believes in that crap.  I guess if Cruz is elected president Dearborn MI is on notice.  

BTW Tinnitus, I am glad your friend is ok.  

I guess if Cruz is elected president Dearborn MI is on notice.  

On a recent trip to Morocco with my son we were stopped in the souks by a local guy who at first we thought was just another guy doing the hard sell.  It turns out he was more interested in the music patches on my son's backpack and so we got to talking, and it turned out he was a Moroccan-American actually born in Detroit (same place I was) but had moved back to the old country.  We chatted for a while, mostly about music but touched on politics as well, and he was upset about the xenophobic anti-muslim trends. He was looking at the possibility of not being allowed back to the land of his birth, where most of his family still lived. 

I don't really have a point to make here, just expressing regret that this hatred the @$$holes stir up actually has an effect on the lives of real people.

Oh and here is a fine gem from the Junior Senator from Texas.  

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/22/471405546/u-s-officials-and-politicians-react-to-brussels-attacks

WTF?  That is so completely outrageous and stupid.  It baffles my mind that after reading what he wrote down, he thought, oh yeah that sounds like a good, sane, non horrible thing to say in response to this tragedy.  Jesus man, I am not sure if Cruz himself is just pandering to the American idiots out there or he actually believes in that crap.  I guess if Cruz is elected president Dearborn MI is on notice.  

BTW Tinnitus, I am glad your friend is ok.  

I'm pretty sure he actually believes it. Similar to his comments and "arguments" against climate change.

I live in a neighborhood with Muslims from many different countries. I guess they will patrol my neighborhood as well. I mean it's not like Muslim's live in ghettos but I suppose some folks believe they should.

LouieB

this is spot-on, in my opinion:

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/23/hear_this_sanders_supporters_you_dont_need_to_back_hillary_you_have_every_right_to_say_bernie_or_bust/

Sanders supporters see the 2016 Democratic primary as a battle between a candidate that seeks to change the “rigged system,” and a candidate that represents that same old illusion of choice. The Bernie or Busters are simply refusing to vote for the illusion if that’s all it is. For months they’ve been witness to a Clinton campaign that influences how the press think and relies on voters being kept in the dark to win. They see the DNC fixing the race in Clinton’s favour, limiting the number of televised debates, removing corporate funding restrictions just as Sanders’ campaign was becoming a threat, and attempting to silence anyone who threatens to break party ranks and actually endorse Sanders. For a lot of Sanders supporters, Hillary Clinton isn’t an option in November because she is the very embodiment of the rigged, establishment politics they wish to see discontinued.

I am well aware of how people vote in MA.  But that doesn't mean I don't think people shouldn't vote for the best possible candidate that matches their political philosophy. 

Without reigniting the arcane argument about whether voting for Ralph Nader was a good idea, I don't know that anyone wants to fuck around with the possibility of a President Trump or Cruz, but then again no one thought George W Bush would be too bad either. Or that the Supreme Court would decide the election instead of the voters.

LouieB