Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Politico:

(Doesn't seem like a very strong ticket to me - but I am not a Republican)

Ted Cruz will announce Wednesday that Carly Fiorina will be his vice presidential nominee if he’s the Republican Party’s pick for president, according to three sources with knowledge of the announcement.

From Politco:

(Doesn't seem like a very strong ticket to me - but I am not a Republican)

It seems like he's putting all his eggs in the "go-for-broke-contested-convention" strategy. There's no way he can win enough pledged delegates, so he has to use every news cycle bump he can get to win as many delegates as he can to prevent Trump from getting there, which is especially true after last night's results. You're right, though, is a Cruz-Fiorina ticket all that attractive to the GOP to give him the nomination if it does go to a second or third ballot? Maybe the GOP's only hope is to have a woman try to legitimately attack Clinton.

Fuck Ted.....what a douche.  Sorry to be so crude, but really?

LouieB

Who did you expect?  It is the logical choice. A woman, vetted, highly respected by the GOP establishment, anti-Trump.  I in fact I would have been more surprised if it where someone else.  Though I did think for awhile that Cruz was gonna go with Kasich to combine forces to bring down Trump.  

I can pretty much guess. I was surprised that one of my rabidly conservative friends was for the Tubman bill. He lives in Nashville and must've picked up some truth about Jackson.

Some guy at the National Review wrote an opinion piece about how Jackson was a DEMOCRAT (never mind that the conservative party was the Democratic party back then) and that Tubman, voted republican, carried a pistol and was a regular church goer so she would fit in perfectly with todays republican party.  Me? I really don't care, If the $20 is still worth $20, then I am good with it.  

I don't know that Tubman is a large enough figure in American history, but i was not on any of the committees that discussed this issue, so I don't know why that choice was made.

Remember when Fiorina completely lied about what Plan Parenthood did/does? That was some grade A bs there.

I had forgot what a horrible person she is.

Her awfulness was bested only by her relative insignificance. 

So you guys are harping on having to look at Fiorina's face for four years and lying but give Hillary a pass? Give me a break......She defines awfulness.

Harping is what the GOP front runner did to Fiorina, Magnetized did not harp, by any means.  BTW Magnetized  did not single out Fiorina the discussion was on ticket, Cruz included.  

As for lying, she flat told the American people that Plan Parenthood was harvesting and selling baby parts, etc.  And when confronted with evidence that it was true, she doubled down.  She is either stupid enough to believe a doctored video and the propaganda by  the pro life movement or thinks the American people are stupid enough to believe what she says.  That makes her a horrible person.  That is a direct fact that points to her nature, her judgement, and what she would be like as a leader.  We could go on about how she ran HP, how she has no political experience, etc.  But those are only facts.  We don't want to look at those because Hillary is awful.

Here is the thing that the Right does.  Is when confronted with a fact, they need to turn it back on Hillary.  And apparently DoctorB you are taking cues from the GOP frontrunner and just give out generally negative adjectives rather then anything of substance.  

And I don't think anyone here is giving Clinton a pass, many people on this board have been highly critical of her, and rightfully so.  The email "scandal" was a mess and lacked judgement (but criminal, no); Benghazi was a mass failing of intelligence and a tragedy and ultimately lies at the feet of the State Department and her as Sec of State (but was it a conspiracy and cover up, no).  This is not giving her a pass, this is looking at the facts and judging them for myself.  If anyone is giving anyone a pass it is you with Fiorina.  

In a world where I have to choose the person to run my country, I would pick Clinton and a syphilitic monkey as her running mate over a Cruz / Fiorina administration.  

Maybe so. However, Cruz will not be the candidate. It will be interesting to see how Trump vs Hillary pans out. I think there are a lot of liberals who are anti-interventionists, anti-trade agreements who may be more comfortable with Trump and there may be some conservatives, particularly neo cons and wall street types, who may be more comfortable with Clinton. All bets are off for this crazy election.

I was not defending Cruz, who I dislike. What it comes down to is that you vote for who you want and then overlook the same characteristics in your candidate that you criticize in the opponent. Kind of like Alabama/Auburn.

Trump's foreign policy speech was pretty good. He'd have to actually implement it, but it's probably the best foreign policy platform that I've seen from any of the current candidates. It will make me feel slightly less icky about voting for him if the only alternative is Hillary. If he presses hard against her recent gun comments he might actually win the election. What a world we are living in...

http://time.com/4309786/read-donald-trumps-america-first-foreign-policy-speech/

Trump's foreign policy speech was pretty good. He'd have to actually implement it, but it's probably the best foreign policy platform that I've seen from any of the current candidates. 

I wonder if you heard the same speech I did.  

I mean what was good about it?  Was the parts that blatantly contradicted the other parts?  Or how oh about the staggering lack of actual depth or substance on foreign policy itself.  Or is it the part of being unpredictable?  Because that is what I want in someone I am going to vote for unpredictability, when we are putting our soldiers on the line.  I am not even sure after hearing that speech I know what kind of foreign policy he would implement.  This was a staggering jumble of jingoism, neoconservative ideology and comments from youtube video.    

But hey if this incoherent mess helps you feel better about yourself when you vote for a serial liar, misogynist, bigot, and xenophobe, more power to you.  .