Politics 2016 (election edition)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your link is wrong, cause I got a 2 min thing about the fight between Sanders and Clinton on who is qualified to be president.

The Dem is race is getting ugly.  

Yeah it is -- which was I was kinda afraid of when Sanders entered, though all the things, for the most part, that makes Clinton unqualifed (according to Sanders), the republicans would greatly support or wouldn't mind. (Though, I do realize that the republicans are going to use just the "I don't believe that she is qualified" sound bite and leave out everything else.)

"Well let me, let me just say in response to Secretary Clinton: I don't believe that she is qualified if she is, if she is, through her super PAC, taking tens of millions of dollars in special interest funds," he said. "I don't think you are qualified if you get $15 million from Wall Street through your super PAC."

Sanders pivoted to her record on foreign policy, saying, "I don't think you are qualified if you have voted for the disastrous war in Iraq. I don't think you are qualified if you've supported virtually every disastrous trade agreement, which has cost us millions of decent-paying jobs. I don't think you are qualified if you supported the Panama free trade agreement, something I very strongly opposed and which, as all of you know, has allowed corporations and wealthy people all over the world to avoid paying their taxes to their countries."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/sanders-clinton-not-qualified-to-be-president-221666#ixzz45AzqA3tj 

Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

I think your link is wrong, cause I got a 2 min thing about the fight between Sanders and Clinton on who is qualified to be president.

The Dem is race is getting ugly.  

Damn, my mistake, here you go: http://on.msnbc.com/1WdPTVZ

One candidate, calling the other out for substantive issues, is what elections should be about.

we were watching the finale last night of that most-bizarre-collection-of-casting-choices-ever People v. OJ thing, and when they showed a clip of Bill Clinton talking about the verdict and the need for people to keep communicating with each other and what not my wife and I turned to each other and both commented on how we'd like to have him on the ballot instead of all these yahoos.  By "him" I mean Clinton, not OJ.

Partially.  It was a well articulated and needed counterpoint to a very legitimate criticism of our present incarceration rates.

Both Dem candidates our present incarceration rates and said they would do something about.  Not really mentioned on the other side.

While I have kind of stopped caring, how did the NY debate go for Bernie and Hillary?  Any game changers?

LouieB

I did not watch the debate.  I think there is a general sort of malaise and indifference towards the political process right now.  On the Right we have two pretty much unlikeable people fighting about rules and whatnot.  Which is ridiculous.  

On the Left it has gotten more heated.  Bernie can see a path to the nomination now, with his recent wins and because of that he has turned into a politician, with more personal attacks, etc.  Really at this point the only way he can win is to cut Clinton down, not further explore his ideas.  Gone are his speeches about what he will do for this country, now it is Clinton is bad her ideas are bad, so on and so forth.  Sad really.  I hoped Sanders would stay principled throughout and when push comes to shove it is politics as usual. Oh well.

But after the primary in WI, I have lost complete interest in this whole thing.  I am sure it will ramp up towards the convention, but right now, I couldn't care less. 

I might be the only one on here who watched part of that debate last night, then. A couple years back, I was really into following politics; now I'm so busy, I've barely kept up.

I tuned in for about 45 minutes, starting from the beginning. It started out pretty nasty and went downhill rapidly. I shut it off, feeling like I don't like either of them personally very much. Way too negative and lacking the urbanity and calmness that made Obama so appealing after 8 years of Dubya. POTUS will be missed.

At this point I would be in favor of dumping all the candidates on both sides and starting over.  The actual election is going to be a stone drag.  I have voted for Bernie and given him all the money I intend to give him (just a little so I can say I donated something), but at this point everyone seems out of new things to say.

When the actual election occurs (Clinton vs. Trump), I am beginning to believe this may be the lowest turn out in years; between the Bernie people not voting for Hillary and the GOP regulars not voting for Trump, its going to be crickets at the polls.

edit - Actually malaise seems to be the best way to describe everything, including the discussions about music.  We are debating the relative okayness of Wilco (the Album), the leading discussions on other musicians include the so long has beens Guns n' Roses and the return of Ryan Adams Heartbreaker.  It's time for something new to break all over the place.

double edit- Even Record Store Day is eliciting yawns from most people.  This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin around.

LouieB

Yeah, I think even the political junkies have grown weary of this plateau in the narrative. Short of a new scandal, or a tremendous gaffe everyone is just waiting for the gop contested convention shit show and whatever dem nominee having a debate with their pick.

I keep wondering, what does the term Republican mean in the 2020's?

We'll all have to stick around and see what the GOP looks like.  There is talk that the Dems are also breaking apart as well.  Four parties?  Might be fun.

LouieB

We'll all have to stick around and see what the GOP looks like.  There is talk that the Dems are also breaking apart as well.  Four parties?  Might be fun.

LouieB

???????

It's like nobody was alive in 2008.

Okay I am confused.  I was referring to the GOP in 2020.  What's that have to do with 2008?

LouieB

I highlighted the part about the Democrats. The 2008 Clinton-Obama primary was far more contentious than this one is. In fact, here's a brief podcast about just that from FiveThirtyEight:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/elections-podcast-is-the-2016-democratic-primary-as-nasty-as-the-2008-democratic-primary/

Looks like it was a big night in the Big Apple last night for the Trump and Clinton camps.

Wow. Just take a few steps back, take a deep breath, and think how utterly bizarre it is that we are seriously going to have Donald Trump as a presidential candidate.