Politics 2016 (election edition)

It's a really scary time when Trump actually makes a Rockefeller Republican like me think Ted Cruz might not be so bad.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cruz is a brilliant and somewhat deranged individual.  I am not sure raw intelligence is what we need, but if we do, I guess he is the man. 

Meanwhile I remember Nelson Rockefeller if that is the guy we are talking about they are not even close to the same kind of Republican.  Nelson would be considered a Democrat by today's standards and not even a moderate Democrat at that.

LouieB

I'm too busy terrorized at the reality of where Trump stands today, terrorized by the attitudes of those who stand with him, including voting for him, and terrorized by the thought of this is really happening today, right now, to be worried about whether or not he could win the general election.

Anyway, even if he does lose, it's not as if he'll slink away like a Mittens - he has his empire either way. The country will never rid itself of him now.

As far as raw intelligence goes, I suspect that Cruz would come out on top.

By no means does intelligence equate wisdom.  I know very well educated people who I would not call wise, and I know very wise people who don't have much in the way of education.  Cruz's attitude and actions prove to me he does not have much in the way of wisdom. 

Hey remember when in 2008 Obama was attacked for his elitist education?  

http://www.politico.com/story/2008/08/rnc-aims-at-obamas-elite-education-012414

I wonder what Bounds would say about Sen Cruz's ivy league education.

Cruz has intelligence, but no charisma, which makes him unelectable.  W Bush had limited intelligence (or at least seemingly) and a certain charisma, he won.  Obama has a lot of both.

Charisma is more important than perceived intelligence for electability...Bush and Obama both proved that.

I'm not saying it's impossible for her to win, but people who hate the Clintons seem to have a visceral hatred for them...especially for her. She might hobble into the White House, but the next 8 months are gonna be ugly.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a hate for the Clintons that is not quite visceral, but very, very real, especially Hillary. I think she wants nothing more in this world than to be president. Not to serve, but to have the distinction of being the first woman president.

Having said that, the day Trump seals the nomination is the day I re-register to vote. Probably as an independent, but possibly as a Democrat. I will proudly vote for Clinton even if there is a conservative 3rd party candidate because I would want to be very, very sure my vote would work to keep Drumpf out of the White House. Sir Stewart is exactly right to describe as terror the feeling one gets imagining him as president.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a hate for the Clintons that is not quite visceral, but very, very real, especially Hillary. I think she wants nothing more in this world than to be president. Not to serve, but to have the distinction of being the first woman president.

Having said that, the day Trump seals the nomination is the day I re-register to vote. Probably as an independent, but possibly as a Democrat. I will proudly vote for Clinton even if there is a conservative 3rd party candidate because I would want to be very, very sure my vote would work to keep Drumpf out of the White House. Sir Stewart is exactly right to describe as terror the feeling one gets imagining him as president.

Oddly enough, that does make me feel better. :lol

I have been mildly inconveniently annoyed at every election cycle of my adult life, but this is the first time I've ever actually felt a sense of dread and fear.  Not so much at the choices available but more so the behavior of the fans of those choices.  Abortion rights are simply eroding in my home state and in others across the country.  Rights of non-heterosexuals as well.  Racism is more rampant and public than at any other time I can remember in my lifetime.  The moral and philosophical divide in this country seems to be reaching frightening speed and strength.  I doubt I'd give much of a shit but for having my baby girl.

I agree with the annoyance. However, as a conservative, my issues and concerns are not even remotely the same as yours. And yet, the looming choice of an unlikable and untrustworthy egomaniac versus an unlikable and untrustworthy egomaniac is unbelievably sad.

I agree with the annoyance. However, as a conservative, my issues and concerns are not even remotely the same as yours. And yet, the looming choice of an unlikable and untrustworthy egomaniac versus an unlikable and untrustworthy egomaniac is unbelievably sad.

But as a conservative, is the notion of a Trump presidency worse than Clinton or Sanders presidency?  Because when it comes down to it, if Trump is the GOP nominee, unless conservatives / establishment Republicans vote for him, Clinton or Sanders will be the next president.  A third party vote will not get a conversative  in the White House, a stay a home vote will not get a conservative in the White House.   Heck some might argue that a vote for Trump won't get a conservative in the White House.  

It is interesting that many conservatives are coming out against Trump:

Romney calls Trump a phony and fraud

Here is also a lengthy list

And here is a letter signed by 70 Republican Foreign policy advisors denouncing Trump

However the nominee is still not decided, it will be interesting where these lawmakers will be in 6 months when it is Trump v Clinton.  And like I said, the only way to get a Republican in the White House is to vote for Trump. 

Its been fun watching the GOP tear itself apart.

I heard someone on the radio this morning say, the Republican party swallowed the TEA party whole and now they are complaining about the indigestion.  

The republicans created this mess.  They created Trump and now they don't know what to do with him. 

I heard someone on the radio this morning say, the Republican party swallowed the TEA party whole and now they are complaining about the indigestion.  

I don't even know if what we're seeing is the TEA party any more.  I feel like the TEA party had a fairly clear agenda, take the GOP, sprinkle in some LIbertarian rebellion against overspending-Bush-style republicans, and cloak some serious social agendas (abortion, gay rights).

Trump.... I don't know what he really believes in, other than hating brown people, and believing that his shoddy businesses are God's gift to capitalism.  There's not really any coherence there.  Cruz is doing the TEA party thing to me, and it's not really catching on like it's supposed to.

I had the Tom Hartman show on for a few minutes today. He took a caller who clearly and proudly described himself as a "self avowed white supremacist" and then went on to say why he and his friends supported Trump.

No, because they believe Trump is a racist.

Also, the guy actually said that he was interested in returning to a "plantation economy". That statement made me know this guy was loonie tunes. Funny and yet.....not so much.

Rights of non-heterosexuals as well.

I agree with everything you say except above. This is empirically false. There has been negative reaction against the acceptance our laws now grant, no doubt. Overall, though, I can't think of a better time to be gay in America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well that was weird, but not unexpected. at one point it appeared that megan and the donald  were holding a debate as if there were no others involved.

Good (really bad) theater.