Politics 2016 (election edition)

Does Trump know that it's probably not s good thing to verbally assault the grieving mother of a dead soldier? I didn't think so, what a jack ass.

As horrible as that is, I don't think it will change anyone's mind who were going to vote for Trump.  But it just goes to the character of that man.  

Though lying about the NFL.  That is something that just is not done in this country.  

http://deadspin.com/nfl-says-donald-trump-is-full-of-shit-never-sent-lette-1784589912

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ:

TRUMP: It’s ― look, you know, I have my own ideas. He’s not going into Ukraine, OK, just so you understand. He’s not gonna go into Ukraine, all right? You can mark it down. You can put it down. You can take it anywhere you want ―

GEORGE 
STEPHANOPOULOS: Well, he’s already there, isn’t he?

TRUMP: OK― well, he’s there in a certain way. But I’m not there. You have Obama there. And frankly, that whole part of the world is a mess under Obama with all the strength that you’re talking about and all of the power of NATO and all of this. In the meantime, he’s going away. He take ― takes Crimea. He’s sort of, I mean ―

STEPHANOPOULOS: But you said you might recognize that.

TRUMP: I’m gonna take a look at it. But you know, the people of Crimea, from what I’ve heard, would rather be with Russia than where they were. And you have to look at that, also. Now, that was under ― just so you understand, that was done under Obama’s administration.

Jesus Christ:

I watched that whole interview this morning. I've watched a lot of Trump interviews over the past year, but I've never seen anything like this one. It was so evident that he was so completely overwhelmed. He was so defensive, and reduced the entire presidential campaign to a popularity contest. I know he's been doing that all along, but it somehow seemed worse than ever in that interview with Stephanopoulos this morning. I don't believe he's going to make it to election day. I don't know what will happen, but I feel in the pit of my stomach that something will. He'll either withdraw of his own volition, or there will be some scandal so big that he is forced out. And then what happens? Who becomes the Republican nominee?

I don't believe he's going to make it to election day. I don't know what will happen, but I feel in the pit of my stomach that something will. He'll either withdraw of his own volition, or there will be some scandal so big that he is forced out. And then what happens? Who becomes the Republican nominee?

He's already trying to wiggle out of the debates.  He will likely do less interviews as well.  He's best in front of his minions in a 4H hall.

He's made it this far, he is going on the way to election day which is just about 100 days from now.  He is going to lose, not for lack of those supporting him and those not supporting Hillary trying to make him president. Remember there are people on this very message board, Wilco fans, that back him. Maybe a few can stand up and say why they support him now, including the horrible things he said this weekend, which should have been enough to do him totally in.

LouieB

I thought Hix was voting for Johnson. At any rate, the guy is a) smart, B) not insane, and c) right leaning.  Most folks who fill all of those categories have been pretty quiet since Drumpf became the nominee.

In April Hixter said this:

Trump's foreign policy speech was pretty good. He'd have to actually implement it, but it's probably the best foreign policy platform that I've seen from any of the current candidates. It will make me feel slightly less icky about voting for him if the only alternative is Hillary. If he presses hard against her recent gun comments he might actually win the election. What a world we are living in...

http://time.com/4309786/read-donald-trumps-america-first-foreign-policy-speech/

But of course that was back in April.  Who knows if he has or will change his mind after the recent comments, especially the Russia stuff.  If memory serves he was always going on about Russia.  

Though it appears he has not been around here since early June.  It is too bad.  Although I disagreed with him greatly, he was smart and passionate.  Also really interested if he feels the same way he did 3 months ago.   

Trump's foreign policy speech was pretty good. He'd have to actually implement it, but it's probably the best foreign policy platform that I've seen from any of the current candidates. It will make me feel slightly less icky about voting for him if the only alternative is Hillary. If he presses hard against her recent gun comments he might actually win the election. What a world we are living in...

http://time.com/4309786/read-donald-trumps-america-first-foreign-policy-speech/

I, too, have been wondering if Hixter is still supportive of Trump. As he is a veteran, I'm especially interested in his thoughts re the "Russia isn't in Ukraine" and disrespect of a Gold Star family bullshit. He hasn't posted since June 3rd, when I reasonably questioned his support of Trump and uncool2pillow and Sir Stewart quoted my post. I'm sure that is just a coincidence, he's likely been busy. I'd like to hear from him. It made for intelligent debate.

Yeah, I think many on here have astutely recognized that a certain core of his supporters haven't wavered in spite of him saying things that disqualify him in an intellectual, moral and leadership capacity.

The good news is polling has started to turn.  With any luck he peaked at the beginning of July and sanity is prevailing with moderates who don't admire Russia, support out troops, think foreign policy is nuanced, and wouldn't publicly badmouth a fire marshal after he rescues them from a stalled elevator.

** This just in, Clinton just tipped the scales back in her favor in the battleground stated of Nevada, Ohio, Virginia and New Hampshire.

Yeah, I think many on here have astutely recognized that a certain core of his supporters haven't wavered in spite of him saying things that disqualify him in an intellectual, moral and leadership capacity.

The good news is polling has started to turn.  With any luck he peaked at the beginning of July and sanity is prevailing with moderates who don't admire Russia, support out troops, think foreign policy is nuanced, and wouldn't publicly badmouth a fire marshal after he rescues them from a stalled elevator.

** This just in, Clinton just tipped the scales back in her favor in the battleground stated of Nevada, Ohio, Virginia and New Hampshire.

Well the election apparently is rigged

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36950083

This line of thinking is very troublesome.  On its surface it could be seen as an excuse for Trump not winning the election.  He began to use this line when it looked like he may not win the primary too.  But deeper it will be the first time in modern history where the loser of the election will not accept the decision of the American people (I am including the 2000 election in this, that even though the election was battled in court Gore eventually accepted the results).  As crazy as Trump and his supporters are, compounded with Trump's propensity for inciting violence against those who disagree with him, who knows what could happen. 

But of course that is a long way off.  There is more crazy to come I am sure.  

For what it's worth, I recall numerous conversations among my friends regarding the use of superdelegates to "rig" the democratic nomination for Hillary, when the popular vote tallies for her and Bernie were fairly close. Maybe "rig" is the wrong word to use, but I still don't understand why superdelegates exist and why they have such power. Bernie obviously did not pursue the issue, but it does seem fishy to me, and makes me feel like my vote counts much less than it should.

The link isn't working, KevinG.

Yeah the fear of Trump supporters is not unfounded --- usually politicians temper their fervent supporters (like McCain did in 08). Trump has only been stoking it.

For what it's worth, I recall numerous conversations among my friends regarding the use of superdelegates to "rig" the democratic nomination for Hillary, when the popular vote tallies for her and Bernie were fairly close. Maybe "rig" is the wrong word to use, but I still don't understand why superdelegates exist and why they have such power. Bernie obviously did not pursue the issue, but it does seem fishy to me, and makes me feel like my vote counts much less than it should.

It's so the party can maintain a degree of control over who their own candidate is. Obviously, if the superdelegates abused their power to such a degree that they were voting for someone who lost a primary vote in a landslide, they'd lose their credibility, and there would be serious repercussions from the party's voting base. 

I thought Sanders did pursue the super-delegates issue -- he accepted this election's results, but the Democratic party is going to change some things, at least I thought I remember hearing about some changes that will happen in the future.

As a simple tally Hillary won the popular vote.  Without the superdelegates (which I think eveyone now thinks is goofy), she still would have won.  The fact that there is a combo of primaries and caucuses and sometimes both is also ridiculous. If only there were straight up voting, all within a relatively short period of time instead of spread out over months and months, all this talk about fixed elections would be gone. The US of A is looking so stupid for dragging this shit out endlessly.  The entire process and where and when it starts and ends needs to be rethought, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Edit - Hllary won 3.7 more votes than Bernie.  Also this is interesting too.  http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-system-isnt-rigged-against-sanders/

LouieB

The link isn't working, KevinG.

Yeah the fear of Trump supporters is not unfounded --- usually politicians temper their fervent supporters (like McCain did in 08). Trump has only been stoking it.

sorry, fixed in orginal post and here

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36950083

But to the point I was making about Trump and in regards to the super delegates and Bernie, etc.

Regardless if you think the Dem process was rigged because of super delegates or not (BTW it wasn't, but that is discussion for another time).  Trump is now convinced that general election is rigged against him.  He is probably saying this because of the debate schedule (which is BS for several reasons) or the some other weird conspiracy.  Like all of Trump's statements it was specific enough to get attention, but lacking any detail, proof, or substance.  

But from here on out the notion by some is that the system is rigged against Trump is out there and it will remain out there if and when he loses.  If that time comes on November 8th it will be interesting to listen to his concession speech (if he actually gives one, which I don't think he will, even if he loses).

Trump being the leader of the GOP, a party that continues to decry how liberals are constantly claiming people are victimized, sure continues to act like the victim.  Just in the past week, we have the Khan speech, the debate thing, and now the rigged election.  Boo hoo, feel sorry for Trump people are picking on him.  

There is an article in the NY Times about how only about 9% of the electorate chose the candidates.  If I have time later to find this I will or someone more intrepid than me can find it.  Either way it is clear that no matter which candidate you are willing to die for, they are chosen by a very small number of people.  

LouieB

Yeah, the conversation quickly became obsolete when HRC clearly had more regular delegates anyways. I suppose if the GOP used super delegates they may have sidestepped the whole Trump conundrum.

There's no avoiding the fact that both the DNC's super delegates and the GOP's winner take all states are further tempering an already indirect form of democracy. Still, somehow both parties nominated unpopular candidates... it's bizarre.

I wont retread it fully, but I'm still vexed that our fellow citizens couldn't sustain an interest in some more balanced candidates on both sides of the aisle. I attribute it to the supremacy of pop culture in our country.