What took you so long! Classic albums you just discovered

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would argue that none of those apply to the Housemartins. 

And I would argue otherwise.

Great album, and definitely a classic by any reasonable standard.

I just "discovered" the Mott the Hoople All the Young Dudes album. I'd only heard the title track previously. Some great deep cuts on that one!

You should get the rest of their albums.

Two CD's that I picked up at an estate sale last weekend for $1 each...."Street Survivors" by Lynryrd Skynryd and "A Nod Is As Good As a Wink To a Blind Horse" by Faces. Both of those definitely qualify as classics.

that's nowhere near the high mark of their debut, Fatboy Slim Felched My Cat.

Here's one I know you won't disagree with, though it's probably an unknown to most everyone else here...

One of my many "classic" albums that I came to late (I forget when, about a couple years ago) is Sleep's Holy Mountain, and then of course, shortly after that, Dopesmoker.

i've gotten to know him over the years between shooting Om and Sleep shows, and when i unexpected ran into him at Roadburn this year (since he wasn't playing), he was with his fiancee and asked me if i would shoot his wedding and i was happy to have been asked.

when Chris left OM, and Robert and Emil joined, it's kinda like two distinct phases. i enjoy both of them. the next record is way overdue, though... hopefully it'll drop soon!

also, when the Pink Floyd reissues dropped, it made a lot of sense to me when Al said he's a big PF fan as i listened to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4dC9fi7-h4

curious to see if this record accords lost classic status here.

what say ye, good people of VC?129136.jpg

Love it. This was one of my few albums purchased as a prerecorded cassette. I wonder if it still plays?

I just listened to this after god knows how many years and it still sounds as great to me now as it did in 1985.

I did not know that Kurt Cobain loved this album, but listening to it now that makes perfect sense to me.

The singing does take some getting used to, but once you get used to it, you can't imagine these songs any other way. I think I got used to it the first time I heard it! Up on the Sun is such a great, great song.

what say ye, good people of VC?129136.jpg

Yes, indeed- and I believe I'll take it for a spin!

what say ye, good people of VC?

129136.jpg

The album that was my gateway to undreground rock back in the mid-80s!

An absolute classic!

i would argue that none of those apply to the Housemartins. 

I was thinking about how you know a lot about music, so I decided to listen to London 0 Hull 4 a few times over the weekend. Upon reflection, I realized that you are correct, therefore I no longer consider it a classic album. I don't like to appear ignorant, so I appreciate your candor. Without you challenging me regarding one of my favorite albums, I'd have kept embarrassing myself. Thanks again.