What took you so long! Classic albums you just discovered

When an album is considered a classic I try to give it a spin to see what the buzz is about. I attend a record show ever so often by my house and pick up albums on the cheap that many will consider classics. Last record show I picked up over 70 new albums (most on cd all for about $1 a piece!)..some I have heard about or wondered about for ages.

Some things I gave a spin for the first time were

The Ramones-Self Titled

Sex Pistols-Nevermind the Bullocks

Sonic Youth-Daydream Nation, Goo

Led Zepplin-1-4, House of the Holy, In Through the Outdoor, Physical Graffitti (have these on vinyl but didn't play them often

Stevie Wonder-Songs in the Key of Life

Pixies-Dolittle

The Stooges-Funhouse

Prince- Purple Rain

Neil Young-Everyone Know's This is Nowhere

Anything recent you just discovered?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

711zhNNu7PL._SX522_.jpg

Just found this one at a library sale for $1. I remembered hearing good things about it, so I picked it up.

INSTANT OBSESSION!

It was just one perfect gospel-inflected English pop song after another. I am now on a quest to get everything Paul Heaton-related that I possibly can. It's the kind of music that plasters a smile on my face that I cannot remove.

Just found this one at a library sale for $1. I remembered hearing good things about it, so I picked it up.

INSTANT OBSESSION!

It was just one perfect gospel-inflected English pop song after another. I am now on a quest to get everything Paul Heaton-related that I possibly can. It's the kind of music that plasters a smile on my face that I cannot remove.

Lucky boy. I remember my similar reaction the first time that I heard the late, great Housemartins back in 1986/87. I totally dig them. If you don't have it, get "Now That's What I Call Quite Good". It's a Housemartins greatest hits comp, but also has excellent b-sides and radio sessions. Enjoy your Housemartins/The Beautiful South/Paul Heaton trip. 

Lucky boy. I remember my similar reaction the first time that I heard the late, great Housemartins back in 1986/87. I totally dig them. If you don't have it, get "Now That's What I Call Quite Good". It's a Housemartins greatest hits comp, but also has excellent b-sides and radio sessions. Enjoy your Housemartins/The Beautiful South/Paul Heaton trip. 

I have that comp. and was listening to it this morning. Currently waiting for The People Who Grinned Themselves... to arrive in the post. I also have a couple of Beautiful South records, but not the debut, which I am to understand is their best.

Now: where would you suggest that I start with the Heaton solo stuff?

I agree that the first Beautiful South is the best. Carry on up the Charts is the best Beautiful South comp. As for Paul solo, the first one, Fat Chance, is lacking. The others are good, but I'd recommend the most recent 2, where he reteams with Jaqui Abbott of The Beautiful South, "What have We Become" and 'Wisdom, Laughter and Lines".

When an album is considered a classic I try to give it a spin to see what the buzz is about. I attend a record show ever so often by my house and pick up albums on the cheap that many will consider classics. Last record show I picked up over 70 new albums (most on cd all for about $1 a piece!)..some I have heard about or wondered about for ages.

Some things I gave a spin for the first time were

Sex Pistols-Nevermind the Bullocks

Stevie Wonder-Songs in the Key of Life

Pixies-Dolittle

Anything recent you just discovered?

Good scores on all of these. I still listen to Never Mind the Bollocks often.

For me, it's Pet Sounds.

(just kidding I still don't like it)

The owner of my local record shop recommended this to me:

220px-YoungerYesterdayCover.jpg
I had never really listened to the Byrds before besides some of their Dylan covers and Turn Turn Turn. This was really good. Like Revolver, but not as good. 

Don't get me started on Pet Sounds, which is a good album by any measure, but not the overwhelming masterpiece it is always billed as.  Having said that I own three copies.  

LouieB

My favorite album of all-time. So, I would disagree, Louie.

On what planet is The Housemartins London 0 Hull 4 considered a "classic album"?

The planet PopTodd.

Ever since I discovered it!

Great topic.  I didn't listen to "All Things Must Pass" until 7-8 years ago and I completed neglected the Grateful Dead's catalogue until 5 years ago.  Shame on  me.  

i thought i was the only one who was foreign to this strange new realm.

I know that, in the UK is was a lot bigger of an album that it was here. Thought that it might have been considered some sort of minor classic over there, TBH.

At any rate: it is a new discovery of an old record that, if it's not a "classic," it damn well SHOULD be!

At any rate: it is a new discovery of an old record that, if it's not a "classic," it damn well SHOULD be!

Ditto. It may be relatively unknown, but that doesn't keep it from being a classic album. By these definitions of classic, London 0 Hull 4 is a classic album, as are many relatively unknown works.

Adjective

of the first or highest quality, class, or rank:             

a classic piece of work.                                  

of enduring interest, quality, or style:
a classic design; classic clothes.
Noun

an artist or artistic production considered a standard.

something noteworthy of its kind and worth remembering:
His reply was a classic.

Ditto. It may be relatively unknown, but that doesn't keep it from being a classic album. By these definitions of classic, London 0 Hull 4 is a classic album, as are many relatively unknown works.

Adjective

a classic piece of work.                                  

Noun

His reply was a classic.

THANK you!

Here's a few that I "discovered" in the past couple years. Maybe not all are considered classic, maybe not any of them, but they definitely weren't on my radar as being essential and awesome!  

Paul McCartney - Ram

Jackson Browne - Saturate Before Using

Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece

Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection

Adjective

a classic piece of work.                                  

Noun

His reply was a classic.

i would argue that none of those apply to the Housemartins. 

The owner of my local record shop recommended this to me:

220px-YoungerYesterdayCover.jpg

I had never really listened to the Byrds before besides some of their Dylan covers and Turn Turn Turn. This was really good. Like Revolver, but not as good. 

That's a good call. I wouldn't say the entire LP is great but it does have 2 of Crosby's very best on it - Mind Gardens and Everybody's Been Burned. I love those tunes a LOT.

For me, 5D is the one. I love every single cut on that record - even the filler (of which there isn't much!). This record, along with The Stones' "High Tide & Green Grass" comp were the first 2 LPs I ever had. My parents bought those for me when I was pre-K age.