Favorite All-Time Musician

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are so leaden... unbelievably boring, three chord plod rock.

#hardpass

And Mike Ness is the biggest crybaby I've ever seen. I saw someone jump on their stage and steal his trucker cap .  A totally unacceptable dick move, to be sure,  But Ness responded by ending the show immediately (and before they had played any of the songs people actually knew and liked), which punished several hundred perfectly well behaved fans.

I was kinda joking with NY due to his nasally/weird voice (that I actually do like) as he is a kick-ass guitarist (I saw Sonic Youth open for him a bunch of years ago and his distortion/dissonant/"Punk" guitar work blew their's away).

But yeah with Bob Dylan....

Wow, wow, why are you throwing shade at Bobby D? Last I checked this thread was all-time favourite musician, not musician you think plays the best. 

Wow, wow, why are you throwing shade at Bobby D? Last I checked this thread was all-time favourite musician, not musician you think plays the best. 

You wanna know why? I had to google "throwing shade." THAT'S why. 

Actually, I was just responding to tinnitus' post(s) regarding our NY/Sonic Youth chat and he referenced Dylan and I agreed. It certainly  wasn't meant as "a subtle, sneering expression of contempt for or disgust with someone" (Meriam-Webster, word added February 2017).

Yeah I actually couldn't think of a better young person slang I'm familiar with. I guess I'm no longer "with it". 

To get things back on topic, if we're talking about musician as in a skilled performer, I'd nominate George Harrison as my favourite, mainly from his post-Beatles work. There's not a lot of other lead guitarists I can pick out of a song 100% of the time.

Re: Social D. I think their haters and lovers have taken it too far. Mommies Little Monster is a pretty classic punk record, s/t is cheesy but undeniably tuneful. The Soc D superfans are largely douche bags (as are an incomprehensible number of rockabilly fans for reasons I can never figure out), and Mike Ness is oh so easy to hate. The dude is a tool.

As a teen I watched the Another State of Mind documentary on them, Youth Brigade and Minor Threat. There's a scene where Mike Ness is explaining himself to the camera as he smears his eyeliner in the bathroom mirror. Pretty hilarious.

Re: Social D. I think their haters and lovers have taken it too far. Mommies Little Monster is a pretty classic punk record, s/t is cheesy but undeniably tuneful. The Soc D superfans are largely douche bags (as are an incomprehensible number of rockabilly fans for reasons I can never figure out), and Mike Ness is oh so easy to hate. The dude is a tool.

As a teen I watched the Another State of Mind documentary on them, Youth Brigade and Minor Threat. There's a scene where Mike Ness is explaining himself to the camera as he smears his eyeliner in the bathroom mirror. Pretty hilarious.

Well, just to clear my name here, I am a casual Social D fan, so please don't put me in the "douche bag" category!  :headbonk  I am not close enough to the band's scene or fans to have any opinion on what goes on there, but I've listened to/seen a lot of punk rockabilly over the years and don't agree with the blanket characterization. Anyhow, I've always liked Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll, Hard TImes and Nursery Rhymes and other releases including Ness' solo Cheating at Solitaire, and always had fun seeing them. So I'll just keep on with the occasional listening and seeing them and take the douche bag slings and arrows :wave  

^^^ Completely agree.  I've never seen them live and am by no means a "superfan," but I own almost all of their albums (and Ness solo albums) and enjoy the hell out of them.

Well, just to clear my name here, I am a casual Social D fan, so please don't put me in the "douche bag" category! :headbonk I am not close enough to the band's scene or fans to have any opinion on what goes on there, but I've listened to/seen a lot of punk rockabilly over the years and don't agree with the blanket characterization. Anyhow, I've always liked Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll, Hard TImes and Nursery Rhymes and other releases including Ness' solo Cheating at Solitaire, and always had fun seeing them. So I'll just keep on with the occasional listening and seeing them and take the douche bag slings and arrows :wave

I don't point that arrow at you sir! And like I said I'd have to point half an arrow at me.

I do like the pushback on my rockabilly stereotype. It's a cool style and likely, as with most stereotypes, my view is based on lack of experience and data.

I won't take back what I said about Ness though. I have the data.

Neil would have been my candidate...had he refrained from releasing so much crap after Sleeps with Angels

Neil's run from Self-Titled to Hawks and Doves is top shelf. Obviously touch and go from there, but still some great stuff. The dude just nails it for me. That said...

Pat Metheny-incredible composer, player and person. Love everything he's done. 

(Garcia, Lesh, Weir, Anastasio :-)

"Footprints" - Miles Davis

"Fingertips" - Stevie Wonder

This has been the Lammy & Stew Show, thanks everybody.

Based more upon your previous work than on this particular episode I would download that podcast in a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk