Favorite All-Time Musician

My heart says Dylan. My Canadianness says Neil Young though. But if I had to just pick one, it would be Bob, I think he's released significantly more great music.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a tough question. I don't really know the right answer, but any time I see Tony Williams credited on an album, I want to hear that album.  I've been let down maybe only once or twice out of the several dozen albums I've heard that he's on (and the blame for that was late '70s overproduction, and not poor quality music).   I can't think of anyone else that I can say that about.

i thought the same re: Bob Dylan.

I was kinda joking with NY due to his nasally/weird voice (that I actually do like) as he is a kick-ass guitarist (I saw Sonic Youth open for him a bunch of years ago and his distortion/dissonant/"Punk" guitar work blew their's away).

But yeah with Bob Dylan....

Due to his multi-instrumental prowess and versatility I'm going to have to go with Prince.

I like many of these a lot (not Jerry so much but I get it).

Sometimes when I think about the many years of great creations from Ira Kaplan it impresses me, maybe even more than Stephen Malkmus who occupies a similar sphere. No, maybe not like Tweedy where I'd rush to see him pull up a stool and an acoustic, but a staggeringly joyous catalog of music.

As much as he has annoyed me at different points Paul McCartney (in spite of being obvious) has made way too many wonderful things not to mention.

:headbonk

Neil can throw some noise here and there, but he's never come close to creating a beast of beauty and horror like "Expressway To Your Skull."

Did you go to any of the shows on that tour? 

Did you go to any of the shows on that tour? 

yeah i went to two but for some odd reason SY didn't play the Boston show at the Garden (which is why we also went to PVD).

and fuck Social Distortion... what a terrible band. Supposedly Thurston was lobbying to have Nirvana be the opener but obv that didn't happen.

yeah i went to two but for some odd reason SY didn't play the Boston show at the Garden (which is why we also went to PVD).

and fuck Social Distortion... what a terrible band. Supposedly Thurston was lobbying to have Nirvana be the opener but obv that didn't happen.

Ah. Well, live (and I've seen SY in smaller venues/clubs) SY didn't translate too well in a bigger venue and NY seemed to be "schooling" them, in a sense, with his work with Crazy Horse. Just my take, but that's how it came across.

yeah the crowd was so not into SY for the most part, but i thought they sounded fine (i recall TMoore saying something derogatory towards the Grammys, which were being held that night i think - yep, they were).

pretty good setlist:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/022091.html

i never saw them do even a half-assed show.