New Mavis Staples Album Written & Produced by Jeff Tweedy

This is pretty cool news for Greg Kot and Mavis. Nice to see the city stepping out a bit and picking this book.

It’s titled “I'll Take You There: Mavis Staples, the Staple Singers and the Music that Shaped the Civil Rights Era" (Scribner) and, having been the object of admiration and glowing reviews since its 2014 publication, is now the latest volume to join the distinguished roster on the “One Book, One Chicago” team.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-ae-one-book-0917-story.html

Also Kot and Mavis will do a talk at the Harold Washington Library in December.

https://chipublib.bibliocommons.com/events/59bc42933e46b1350092125a

This is pretty cool news for Greg Kot and Mavis. Nice to see the city stepping out a bit and picking this book.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-ae-one-book-0917-story.html

Also Kot and Mavis will do a talk at the Harold Washington Library in December.

https://chipublib.bibliocommons.com/events/59bc42933e46b1350092125a

Am I the only one who didn't like the book? I love Kot's writing and Sound Opinions, but don't like his writing in book format...

Am I the only one who didn't like the book? I love Kot's writing and Sound Opinions, but don't like his writing in book format...

I also thought it was kinda "meh" though I love Mavis and was very interested in learning more about her life and career. 

Actually I never gotten around to read Kot's book on the Staples. I have read his Wilco book and thought it was okay by rock book standards, but that is not saying much. Once, I went to one of his book talk/conversation at local book store, where he talked about his Ripped: How the Wired Generation Revolutionized Music book - the discussion was interesting, but I didn't get through the book. So I guess I am in your boat.

However - that said, I still think it's cool for him and the Staples that the Chicago Library picked the book - at least it is locally relevant and I think it is important that Chicago readers learn about the subject.

• 1 month later...

How is the album? Saw that it is being sold at Mavis' shows...

Where’d you see that? B)

I like it a lot, based on a few spins so far. The bass on it really grabbed me right away. Not sure if Jeff is playing those parts on the album, but it sounds like maybe so? It definitely has a more serious tone, which is to be expected, but it still has that Mavis/Tweedy collaborative spirit about it. Maybe even more so than the other two records, since Mavis co-wrote several of the songs. For me, We Go High and Ain’t No Doubt About It are early highlights but I think this one will be a “grower” in the best sense of the term.

Where’d you see that? B)

I like it a lot, based on a few spins so far. The bass on it really grabbed me right away. Not sure if Jeff is playing those parts on the album, but it sounds like maybe so? It definitely has a more serious tone, which is to be expected, but it still has that Mavis/Tweedy collaborative spirit about it. Maybe even more so than the other two records, since Mavis co-wrote several of the songs. For me, We Go High and Ain’t No Doubt About It are early highlights but I think this one will be a “grower” in the best sense of the term.

Did Spencer play drums on it?

Did Spencer play drums on it?

Yes, and Glenn has a “percussion” credit as well. It’s hard to tell who played what on which song because the credits are just listed for the entire album. Jeff is credited for “guitar, bass, percussion, vocals” and Spencer for “drums, percussion”.

Mavis’ touring band is also credited. As well as Kelly Hogan and Scott Ligon, the latter on clavinet, piano, organ, Wurly (which I believe are these modified mini Wurlitzers Jeff has at the Loft) and guitar.

• 3 months later...