A.M. Deluxe?

Welcome to Via Chicago. 

Not sure which version to which you're referring. I purchased the CD sets for A.M. and Being There. They sound great.

Thanks!  It's great to find this site. :)

I'm referring to the versions of AM and Being There on HDTracks - they are 44.1KHz/24bit, so theoretically slightly better than the 16bit CD versions, but who really knows?  These titles were both previously available at 96/24, as well.

Just curious.  I'm looking forward to spinning the vinyl, later this week.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!  It's great to find this site. :)

I'm referring to the versions of AM and Being There on HDTracks - they are 44.1KHz/24bit, so theoretically slightly better than the 16bit CD versions, but who really knows?  These titles were both previously available at 96/24, as well.

Just curious.  I'm looking forward to spinning the vinyl, later this week.

Ah, I guess I wasn't aware of anything other than the vinyl or CD versions that were/are for sale on the website. I rip my CDs at the highest possible ALAC quality and so far I have been very pleased with the audio quality of the remasters. And I feel like I have a fairly discerning ear. :-)

I just came back from picking up the deluxe editions at Bull Moose Records. The sales clerk told me that he was supposed to give me a Wilco pin with each cd, but they couldn't find them. I can go back this weekend and pick them up, if they ever find them. Did anyone else get pins?

This was posted on the official Wilco Twitter feed today. These look cool. Now I need to go back & see if they have them.

image.jpg

This was posted on the official Wilco Twitter feed today. These look cool. Now I need to go back & see if they have them.

Dang. Wish they'd come with the pre-orders from the band.

Really impressed with both deluxe editions. The Being There deluxe especially. I hope they do this to ALL of their albums. I will re-buy all of them if the content is this rewarding.

Biggest surprise is how much I like the original version of Capitol City more than the version on Whole Love. For a song they rarely play live, this version would work really well during an acoustic set.

but the recording still has relevance to that split, right?

i don't review records anymore, but i think it's a bit unfair to judge reviews written right after a release (esp one that turns out to be a landmark) with the benefit of elapsed time. of course some reviewers get it right, but probably not that many. and how many times do you think Schreiber listened to BT before writing that review, as opposed to any of us in the present day? 

but the recording still has relevance to that split, right?

i don't review records anymore, but i think it's a bit unfair to judge reviews written right after a release (esp one that turns out to be a landmark) with the benefit of elapsed time. of course some reviewers get it right, but probably not that many. and how many times do you think Schreiber listened to BT before writing that review, as opposed to any of us in the present day? 

Yeah but I don't know why it has to constantly be portrayed as a Jeff vs Jay battle. He literally calls it an alt-country arms race. There's other angles of the Uncle Tupelo breakup and AM than just Jeff/Jay competition. 

I wasn't even 10 years old when Being There came out, so obviously I didn't hear it till much later but that record stood out to me as a great album from the get go. I can't remember how much I knew about it before I listened to it, but I don't know how someone can listen to that record at any period and think it's 6.8, but hey, music opinions.. right? There's definitely been Pitchfork albums that were reviewed very highly that I would have given a much lower score to (I'm looking at you Panda Bear). 

I worked at a record store when Being There came out, and I remember it grew quite the following early on amoung the college crowd. Being a double album for the price of a regular album actually made it a pretty big selling point back then. I even remember the promo sticker advertising “2 CDS for $12.99!”. That’s actually what caught my eye initially.

I’m actually surprised the original pitchfork review was so cold towards it. Then again this was Chicago and I think expectations were pretty high at the time.

Yeah but I don't know why it has to constantly be portrayed as a Jeff vs Jay battle. He literally calls it an alt-country arms race. There's other angles of the Uncle Tupelo breakup and AM than just Jeff/Jay competition. 

I wasn't even 10 years old when Being There came out, so obviously I didn't hear it till much later but that record stood out to me as a great album from the get go. I can't remember how much I knew about it before I listened to it, but I don't know how someone can listen to that record at any period and think it's 6.8, but hey, music opinions.. right? There's definitely been Pitchfork albums that were reviewed very highly that I would have given a much lower score to (I'm looking at you Panda Bear). 

i hadn't read the review when i posted, which was probably dumb on my part, but yeah - alt-country arms race? i guess it's the same lazy writing style that pops up whenever Pollard releases a new record (like, monthly) and the 'ex 4th grade teacher' and 'alcoholic ex sports star' and 'needs an editor' comments pop up in every review.

i hadn't read the review when i posted, which was probably dumb on my part, but yeah - alt-country arms race? i guess it's the same lazy writing style that pops up whenever Pollard releases a new record (like, monthly) and the 'ex 4th grade teacher' and 'alcoholic ex sports star' and 'needs an editor' comments pop up in every review.

Yeah exactly!! You're right, it's lazy. In the case of Pitchfork, they've written about Jeff vs Jay multiple times over the years, and then they did it again in this review. Which would be one thing but then they just sort of glossed over the new music. I feel like the vast majority of people interested in these deluxe records are probably already familiar with the original albums and the story behind him, I can't see too many non-Wilco fans wanting to put down the amount of cash for either release when they could pick up the original copies for much less (I'm talking mostly vinyl here, I'm not sure what CDs are going for these days). So really what they should have done was write for their audience, which they didn't do. My belief is if you're writing for a 20+ year old site about 20+ year old albums, and you're not doing a retrospective, have something new to say. Otherwise you're just rehashing the same worn-out story and slapping a numerical evaluation to it.

But on the other hand I'm complaining a lot about Pitchfork which I swear I don't care that much about!! So I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm glad to see BT get a review score it deserves, even if adding a 100 point numerical scale to an album is kind of silly. 

Canada Post must know how much I love Wilco because they did a special Sunday morning delivery for me. Naturally I started with Being There side 5, the first bonus disc. I was pretty good about not streaming everything in the past few weeks. So songs like Sun's A Star is new to me and sounds great, despite Jeff admitting he fucked it up. John's linernotes in AM are great, he's got a great way with words and it's nice to hear his perspective. 

As for the coloured records... the AM vinyl maybe doesn't look as great as the Vinyl Me Please reissue of last year but Being There on white vinyl with wisps of brown looks pretty and compliments the bonus discs on brown. Glad I shelled out for expensive Kung Fu shipping on these as my local record store has the black copies for probably the same price as the KF with shipping.

With next year being a quiet Wilco year, it could be a good opportunity to give Summerteeth and YHF the same treatment. Here's hoping. 

Anyone else having trouble tracking their order on the Wilco Reissue Store (Rhino)? I ordered AM colored vinyl over a week ago but am now unable to check status of my order. Grrrrrr.....

Try checking your e-mail for the notification that it shipped (I got mine on November 27), click view your order and from there you should be able to see your tracking. When I click view your order just now, it won't actually load for me, something must be down somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that's where I got my tracking info from.

Is it just me, or is there a pretty loud click in Misunderstood, around the 1:22 mark? Almost sounds like a mouse click. It's there on the regular remastered CD and on the 24-bit FLAC. My original Being There CD is at my parents' house, so I can't check if it appears on the old version, but I never noticed it before and it's driving me mad!

Is it just me, or is there a pretty loud click in Misunderstood, around the 1:22 mark? Almost sounds like a mouse click. It's there on the regular remastered CD and on the 24-bit FLAC. My original Being There CD is at my parents' house, so I can't check if it appears on the old version, but I never noticed it before and it's driving me mad!

I just compared the original to the remastered and the sound is in both! Probably the sound of someone adjusting their instrument.

I've loved "Being There" since the first time I heard it 20 years ago. I hadn't sat down and listened to it from start to finish in a long time till I got the remastered set. I'd forgotten how great it is and why it's my favorite Wilco album. It's aged very well, too!

I wouldn’t call it loud by any means, but if you’re listening for it, yeah, there’s a clicking sound buried in there. Sounds like a button from someone’s flannel shirt brushing up against a guitar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If it's recorded well it would be cool if the Troubadour show would come out on vinyl for Record Store Day Black Friday or something like that.  

Looks like you were right! In the leaked RSD listing, Wilco Live At The Troubadour is listed.