• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to the Jerry show from 1976-12-22, Keystone, Berkeley. Now, that one has some sweet Donna vocals on it. She's not perfect throughout, but she does a lot of really nice work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gratefuldead/comments/a8ihmm/today_of_the_dead_jerry_garcia_band_the_keystone/

I love the Midnight Moonlight from 12-22-1976....great Donna and really great Jerry led jam...

Listening to 2/14/69 -- not sure if I have listened to this show before - usually go to the 2/14/68 or 2/14/70 shows for Valentine's Day.

Did Bear ever remember to turn on/up the monitors - 'god love 'em.'

song 2:

Gd69-02-14T02 LadiesAndGentlemenThatsBear.flac

RIP Ken Nordine. Flipperty Jib on the Flippity Flop! (or something like that). One of the first Dead shows I got to see, the highlight of a lackluster show for sure. His rap is pretty Suessian. 

He had a cool album that featured Jerry and Tom Waits together on a few tracks. Other than that, not too familiar with his work, but what a voice.

Last weekend I was watching a dvd of the GD playing on 4/26/77 and low n behold, Jerry was playing slide during Dancin'. Never saw that before, for some reason I thought any slide work was done by Bobby. Btw, that show is on youtube too. Its pro-shot and the sound is great, highly recommended. Only downside is its in black and white but whatever.

Last weekend I was watching a dvd of the GD playing on 4/26/77 and low n behold, Jerry was playing slide during Dancin'. Never saw that before, for some reason I thought any slide work was done by Bobby. Btw, that show is on youtube too. Its pro-shot and the sound is great, highly recommended. Only downside is its in black and white but whatever.

Jerry played slide on a few tunes, depending on era: Row Jimmy, Red Rooster, Passenger, Weather Report Suite, Walking Blues, etc.

There has been a lot of discussion/wishful thinking on the web about the 69 Ark run being the archival box set release this year - which would be great. 

I never understand why they release shows that are already amazingly recorded (Cornell '77?!)

I'd love something like SPAC '83 that has never been circulated/available (to my knowledge, at least) in sbd. A fantastic show (the "Dew" alone is an all-time top 5 or less) that the general populace doesn't have a great sounding recording of.....

Happen to be currently listening to a '70 show, but 3/24/70- Pirates World in Florida. Guess it was an amusement park. This show probably would have been an interesting experience. I guess they had a show on the 23rd at the same place, but no tapes exist. 

It's ok, nothing too special, though. The transition from Dark Start into The Other one is pretty great, though. 

I guess Floyd and Zeppelin played there, too.

5e52ec61a5cdaffe725d44c5e432c39d--pink-f1969-piratesworld-ad-1b_0.jpg

Actually quite a few others, too. I have that Johnny Winter record - never realized that it was recorded there.  I wonder if Deep Purple and The Partridge Family were on the same bill.

Rock music concerts[edit]

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Pirates World was the venue for several rock music concerts, playing host to such artists as Jeff Beck Group (1969), Led Zeppelin (1969),[7][8] Iron Butterfly (1970), The Faces (1970, 1971[8]), The Grateful Dead (1970), Traffic (1970), Black Sabbath (1971), Blood, Sweat, and Tears (1971), Deep Purple & The Partridge Family (1971), Jethro Tull (1971), Grand Funk Railroad (1971), Steve Miller Band (1971), The Guess Who (1971), The Moody Blues (1971), Emerson, Lake & Palmer (1971), Three Dog Night (1971), Manassas (1972), David Bowie (1972), The Doors (1972),[9] Wishbone Ash (1973), Santana (1973), Alice Cooper (1973), The Beach Boys (1973) and Steely Dan (1974). The Johnny Winter album Live Johnny Winter And (1971) was a live album partly recorded at Pirates World in fall 1970. It was not uncommon for crowd control problems to break out at some of these concerts.[5] In March 1971, police clashed with concert goers at a Grand Funk Railroad concert. Eleven people were arrested and two policemen were injured.[10]

Happen to be currently listening to a '70 show, but 3/24/70- Pirates World in Florida. Guess it was an amusement park. This show probably would have been an interesting experience. I guess they had a show on the 23rd at the same place, but no tapes exist. 

It's ok, nothing too special, though. The transition from Dark Start into The Other one is pretty great, though. 

I listened to a show from FLA last night that I had completely missed over the years: Hollywood, Florida 10.25.85. First set opens with (a pretty scorching) Deal! Second set opens with a nice Dew.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~./gdead/dead-sets/85/10-25-85.txt

I'll check out 85 next --  right at the end of the 3.24.70 show, you can hear firecrackers being set off. From the clarity of the sounds, they must have been set off on stage. Reminds me of the late 70's shows when the band asks the fans not to set off firecrackers in the crowd. Who the hell would think that is a fun or good idea. The Stones and Zeppelin had those issues, too - at least from I heard from boots.

The St. Stephen jam from 15 October 1977 still blows my mind....

any other similarly exceptional jams on par with that from 1977?

The jam in this 21 + min. Sugaree from Hartford '77 comes to mind:

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-28.sbd.sacks.4983.sbefail.shnf/gd77-05-28d1t03.shn

I've always thought of '77 as being broken into two halves - pre-Mick accident and Post. The first half being "The Just Exactly Perfect Brothers Band" and from September on as being the Heavy Rock Dead. Really, from Labor Day '77 through Egypt that was a VERY different sounding band than from what came directly before and after. I'll try to give examples later at some point haha.

I never understand why they release shows that are already amazingly recorded (Cornell '77?!)

I'd love something like SPAC '83 that has never been circulated/available (to my knowledge, at least) in sbd. A fantastic show (the "Dew" alone is an all-time top 5 or less) that the general populace doesn't have a great sounding recording of.....

would love a great recording of the SPAC 83 as i was there for that killer Dew and an overall great show!  Definitely in the top 5 or so Dews i saw live.

This "Dancin'" is fantastic, as well (from the free M.I.T. show, "c'mon everybody get up and dance around now"):

https://archive.org/details/gd70-05-06.sbd.gans.94.sbefail.shnf

MIT was the first Dead tape i ever got in the spring of 77 and still one of the best shows they ever played even though a short free outdoor gig. May 1970 is full of amazing Dead shows.

Englishtown 9-3-77 He's Gone through Truckin'

Sugaree 5-19-77

Sugaree 5-28-77

Agreed about pre/post mickey accident. Starting in novemberish the band (in my opinion) started slipping into that 1978 sloppy stage. Personally, despite some great shows, i've always thought 1978 was their worst year of the 1970s followed closely by January to august 1971.

Pre=accident 77 I thought hte sound was almost too perfect. Who knows.

My favorite era from the 1970s is currently February / March 1973.