I've never heard of Vince using heroin. Met and hung with him a few times post-Garcia. Nice guy. Liked to drink and mingle with the people! Either way, he never quite fit the mold of the band, imo.

A couple of Vince quotes from (IIRC) Greenfield's book:

"The band knew I was clean - I don't count herb as a drug"

"If it was up to me John Kahn would have been kicked out of the scene"

Vince was truly grateful that he got the chance to be in that band. When he asked about pay he was told $1000/day. He thought, "80 gigs per year - 80 grand, right?" And was told, "No, $1000 A DAY (350K)". He tried, he really did. He listened to tapes after shows, he made copious notes about the tunes. I honestly don't see a guy jeopardizing a job like that by using heroin when he'd basically been stone-cold broke. Now, he DID have serious mental issues, stemming from Jerry's death. He seemed to take it the hardest at the time. He DID OD on Weir's bus when he was in Ratdog. And we know of his tragic demise. But I find it a bit hard to believe that he was using heroin in the '90-'95 period.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe I also read that Rob Barraco was in "consideration" after Brent died. Maybe that was from an interview with Barraco himself. Could've been a good choice, but not surprised they didn't pick him due to age difference and lack of experience on the big stage.

Seems everyone is in agreement that Vince was not great. Who would've been better? Have to pick someone who can sing, as that seems to be the main criteria in picking Vince over the others who auditioned. 

Hornsby obviously. Steve Winwood would be a cream dream. Can Chuck Leavell sing? I dunno, can't think of any other great choices. 

I wanted Mike Finnegan! I saw him in Crosby's band in '89, and he was a phenomenal talent, especially on the B-3. And that dude could really sing! But...at the time he was 12-steppin', which obviously would have been tough in a band like The Dead.

I was just listening to this LLR and it really captures the essence of the tune, imo. From about 4:30 on (the meat/back 9 of the tune!) it really has it all w/ the storm effects, precise Garcia twiddling, vocal echoes, peaks and valleys, and I'll even take the midi effect from Garcia towards the end.

Nice sbd-matrix, too!:
https://archive.org/details/gd90-06-23.sbd.ladner.28690.sbeok.shnf/gd90-06-23d2t02.shn

On Father's Day a couple of years ago my daughter got me a very cool present - some thing she got from Amazon UK I believe -a CD box set of the FMs from some of the shows from the Fall '71 Tour (when they were doing a lot of live shows on the radio, promoting Skullfuck). Now, I was weaned on many of these shows, some of them were among the first tapes in my collection, so I have a particular affinity for them, as well as they're a REALLY exciting period to be documented - some really killer jamming here and there. 

Here's the list of the shows (about 20 CDs): 7/2/71 Fillmore West (the last show there for them), 10/19/71 (first with Keith), 10/30/71, 11/7/71 SF  (400 seater!), 12/5/71, 12/10/71 & 12/31/71. Like I said, I had all but 1 or 2 of these on cassette, and they appear to be exactly the same - right down to the DJ banter between stuff - except they are upgrades in quality over my multi-gen FMs from long ago.

Needless to say, I was pretty blown away by the present. I had to ask her, "OMFG how much did this cost you?" and she said it was only around 30 bucks. As cheap as that is, I probably wouldn't have sprung for them myself because it's definitely a bootleg operation, and I'm pretty adamant to the money reaching the band, but who was I to turn this down as a gift, right?

Anyway....I digress. Just wondering: did anyone else get this stuff?

Listened to the below show this morning via gdsets.com.

From the get go with Tore Up, Garcia's guitar playing is especially good -  some great rocking, while being bluesy, playing . Great set list.

I never cared for their take on The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down - regardless of what era of JGB is playing it. Though I always have been a huge fan of the original version. 

Moore's Egyptian Theater

Seattle, WA

Jerry Garcia Band

March 6, 1976

SET 1
  1. Tore Up Over You
  2. Catfish John
  3. Russian Lullaby
  4. They Love Each Other
  5. Mystery Train
  6. Who Was John
  7. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
  8. Lonesome And A Long Way From Home
SET 2
  1. Harder They Come
  2. Friend Of The Devil
  3. After Midnight
  4. Moonlight Mile
  5. A Strange Man
  6. I Want To Tell You >
  7. My Sisters And Brothers
  8. How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

On Father's Day a couple of years ago my daughter got me a very cool present - some thing she got from Amazon UK I believe -a CD box set of the FMs from some of the shows from the Fall '71 Tour (when they were doing a lot of live shows on the radio, promoting Skullfuck). Now, I was weaned on many of these shows, some of them were among the first tapes in my collection, so I have a particular affinity for them, as well as they're a REALLY exciting period to be documented - some really killer jamming here and there. 

Here's the list of the shows (about 20 CDs): 7/2/71 Fillmore West (the last show there for them), 10/19/71 (first with Keith), 10/30/71, 11/7/71 SF  (400 seater!), 12/5/71, 12/10/71 & 12/31/71. Like I said, I had all but 1 or 2 of these on cassette, and they appear to be exactly the same - right down to the DJ banter between stuff - except they are upgrades in quality over my multi-gen FMs from long ago.

Needless to say, I was pretty blown away by the present. I had to ask her, "OMFG how much did this cost you?" and she said it was only around 30 bucks. As cheap as that is, I probably wouldn't have sprung for them myself because it's definitely a bootleg operation, and I'm pretty adamant to the money reaching the band, but who was I to turn this down as a gift, right?

Anyway....I digress. Just wondering: did anyone else get this stuff?

Yeah, I bought the 3 boxes below from amazon.uk, at prices cheaper than those appearing today, about $1 per cd
I know they are bootlegs but....I have spent a lot of money in the latest boxes as, in addition to the already many $$ they cost, customs charge me an arm and a leg

Summer 76: The Complete Broadcasts Cofre
The Broadcast Collection 1976 - 1980 Cofre, CD
71 Dead Cofre

Listened to the below show this morning via gdsets.com.

From the get go with Tore Up, Garcia's guitar playing is especially good -  some great rocking, while being bluesy, playing . Great set list.

I never cared for their take on The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down - regardless of what era of JGB is playing it. Though I always have been a huge fan of the original version. 

Moore's Egyptian Theater

Seattle, WA

Jerry Garcia Band

March 6, 1976

Nice find. I need to re-visit this one later. "Moonlight Mile" was only done a handful of times, if I recall...

Nice find. I need to re-visit this one later. "Moonlight Mile" was only done a handful of times, if I recall...

Was only done a handful of times. Seems like it should be the perfect Jerry tune, but it always seems a bit sluggish and drags. He embodied the song a bit too much when he played it, extra strung out sounding. 

Was only done a handful of times. Seems like it should be the perfect Jerry tune, but it always seems a bit sluggish and drags. He embodied the song a bit too much when he played it, extra strung out sounding. 

I totally agree with this. Drags it just a bit too much. Not often one can say JG's approach to a cover  (slightly) misses. 

I think that's the problem with their take on The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down - it always seem to plod along. 

The version of Moonlight Mile on that 3/6/76 show seems to hit right mixture of 'drugginess' - the harmony singing is great and Keith really shines.   

Maybe if he changed it to The '4 Years' They Drove Old Dixie Down - I'd like it better.

(Technically it took 3 days less than 4 years - never realized that the Civil War dates were so tidy and concise  - Apr 12, 1861 – Apr 9, 1865)

Love Jer's version of Dixie Down. He turns it into a powerful exploding hymn, and so different from the original. I'd say one of his best covers easily. Take a lap.

"Take a lap," ha! I agree. He really does bring some oomph to it. Lots of crescendos and valleys. 

Definitely looking for to Vol. 30.   (Also currently listening to 11/17/07 Ratdog show - decent show with Kimock - I think Karen was off this year due to health issues. Nice version of Dylan's Slow Train Comin')

And with late breaking news, we're thrilled to announce that Dave's Picks Vol. 30 is the complete show from January 2, 1970, at the Fillmore East in New York City, the show that began one of the most exciting years in Grateful Dead history. This is a show that's been a long time coming, and we're incredibly excited that it's finally being released. In addition to the January 2, 1970 show, the release will include our annual Dave's Picks Bonus Disc for subscribers, and between this Bonus Disc and some room we had on our main release of January 2, 1970, we're very pleased to tell you that we'll be releasing nearly two hours from the next night, January 3, 1970, also at the Fillmore East. So, if FIVE HOURS of early 1970 Dead appeals to you, with all that it involved ("Dark Star"! "St. Stephen"! "The Eleven"! "Lovelight"!
"That's It For The Other One"! "Alligator"! "Dancing In the Street"! And on and on!), this release is for you. And remember, the Bonus Disc is only available to subscribers to the 2019 Dave's Picks series.

That's wild that Lammy posted a link to the 12/31/69 and then we find out the Dave's #30 will be the very next show.

That's wild that Lammy posted a link to the 12/31/69 and then we find out the Dave's #30 will be the very next show.

Right? Wicked cool, as we say in New England. 

I already have both these January shows on my iPhone, so there must be something really good there. Only got a couple more 70 shows with me at all times.

I was thinking about a post I saw on a thread somewhere that might make a good Dead-related topic. This guy posted that he listened to the Dead for the jams, and that he viewed the songs - the structured songs, including the lyrics - as filler between the jams.

That kind of blew my mind, not in a good way. As a poet and songwriter myself, I immediately felt, "You view one of the great American songbooks as FILLER? WTF?"

It actually angered me at first. I almost felt like this was a stoner moron pissing on Hunter and Barlow. 

Of course, I calmed down and moved on to more important things like living my life. But I still remembered the post.

A little time goes by, and I think about it again, and realize there's an element of me in that post. I mean, I know so many of those songs forward and backward. I could play credible air guitar versions of many favorite solos, in addition to knowing all the words to much of the catalogue. And there are times when I'm listening to a show and just tolerating a middling version of Tennessee Jed, waiting for a payoff to come in the instrumental breakdown section.

Where do you fanatics stand on this? Song guy, like me? Jam guy? A little of both? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to start trouble. :lol