• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At what point will Dave's picks be scraping for resin hits, so to speak, for "great" shows? I guess with all the Betty Boards recently recovered, they'll have several years to get through before they start running dry.

Fair question, and one that goes through my mind with each release. They have been shrewd enough to start each year with a highly desired show that sucks me in for the subscription, and Swing Aud. fits the bill. 

At what point will Dave's picks be scraping for resin hits, so to speak, for "great" shows? I guess with all the Betty Boards recently recovered, they'll have several years to get through before they start running dry.

I wonder if they have first-hand access to the "Amy Boards" and if any of those might make the cut.

A really great ticket popped up for the 2nd Weir show in Chicago, so I grabbed it. Really have enjoyed what I heard thus far - looking forward to it. 

I did get the latest Dave's pick - haven't gotten around to listen to it yet, though.

Went camping this week and listened to the 5.17.74 Vancouver show from the box on the way -- great second set.  

05 05 1973 has a pretty darn great "Here There Everywhere" Beatles cover that flows into a massive jam into Last Train To Jacksonville into After Midnight...

Listening to this show, now.  Sarah Fulcher is a new name for me. Also enjoying the acoustic guitar George Tickner, who was an original Journey member - didn't know that, either.

It would have been nice if Fulcher could have learned some lyrics -- she couldn't even sing I Second that Emotion -- that's pretty bad.

Some info on Fulcher.

http://hooterollin.blogspot.com/2011/09/sarah-fulcher-vocals.html

Edited by calvino

So far Looks Like Rain is a stand out on Disc 1of the latest Dave's Pick - 6.17.76. Garcia really shines on it.

Cassidy was great, too.

The LL Rains from the post-retirement / pre-Brent period is my favorite period for that song, easily. This was not a song for Bobby to get over the top histrionic on (esp. Mega Dead period). This song works best when it's subtle imo. And never should have been moved to set 2 (again, imo).

The LL Rains from the post-retirement / pre-Brent period is my favorite period for that song, easily. This was not a song for Bobby to get over the top histrionic on (esp. Mega Dead period). This song works best when it's subtle imo. And never should have been moved to set 2 (again, imo).

Agree.  There are even some versions where Donna's contributions add to the song.  

I'll respectfully disagree.

As much as I do enjoy earlier versions, I love the changes the song went through, particularly in the 80s. I loved the subtle build up of the tune, the often over-the-top ad-libbing by Weir at the height of the tune, the crescendos, the "storm/rain" effects by Brent, Garcia's repeated and trilling notes, the echo effect often put to Weir's voice, etc. I had no problem with a monster 2nd set LLR.....

I'll respectfully disagree.

As much as I do enjoy earlier versions, I love the changes the song went through, particularly in the 80s. I loved the subtle build up of the tune, the often over-the-top ad-libbing by Weir at the height of the tune, the crescendos, the "storm/rain" effects by Brent, Garcia's repeated and trilling notes, the echo effect often put to Weir's voice, etc. I had no problem with a monster 2nd set LLR.....

Respect.

Think about this - how well could LL Rain have worked in place of a post Space Jerry ballad slot? Maybe even out of Space? It might have been MUCH better placed in set 2 if it was late in the show. But, you know, Jerry HAS to take that ballad slot there. Oh well...

Respect.

Think about this - how well could LL Rain have worked in place of a post Space Jerry ballad slot? Maybe even out of Space? It might have been MUCH better placed in set 2 if it was late in the show. But, you know, Jerry HAS to take that ballad slot there. Oh well...

It would have worked as well as the sound of street cats making love.

I like Bobby's f-bombs and agree with Lammy about early 80s LLRs for all those same reasons.  I like this one from 4/20/83 Providence.

https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1983/04/20/looks-like-rain?source=93920. 

Really nice electric piano sound from Brent and Jerry flies, albeit in a shambling 80s Jerry way with wrong notes and all that, but endearing still to me.  I will check that '85 version you linked, Lammy.

I also think that May '77 versions were probably some of the best vocal blends that Donna and Bobby ever got, I especially like the one from 5/5/77 New Haven!

https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1977/05/05

I'm also liking the new Dave's better than I thought I would, as I'm not a fan of '76's slow tempos (T. Jed just crawls) and generally lethargic playing.  But 6-17-76 is pretty good, I thought the Lazy Lighting>Supplication was strong, as was the Help>Slipknot and the Let It Grow is great, even with the drums interlude. I like a standalone Scarlet Begonias, sounds to me like they would concentrate more on the internal jam and this one is good.  There were some cool inventive setlists in '76, like on this one and 12/31/76 Cow Palace.

I like Bobby's f-bombs and agree with Lammy about early 80s LLRs for all those same reasons.  I like this one from 4/20/83 Providence.

https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1983/04/20/looks-like-rain?source=93920. 

Really nice electric piano sound from Brent and Jerry flies, albeit in a shambling 80s Jerry way with wrong notes and all that, but endearing still to me.  I will check that '85 version you linked, Lammy.

I also think that May '77 versions were probably some of the best vocal blends that Donna and Bobby ever got, I especially like the one from 5/5/77 New Haven!

https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1977/05/05

I've always had a thing for that 4.20.83 show! LOVE Esau, Maybe You Know, Bertha kick off of 2nd set!! That's my favorite Maybe You Know, as well. Gotta check the LLR again, too, as it's been a while.

I caught two --- they happen to be my two favorite shows that I attended. The 89 show was my 1st - I am not sure if I was real familiar with the tune that much in 89, but remember it being a highlight while there - Weir was great. 

Two - Box Of Rain [4:51] ~ Foolish Heart [11:45] > Looks Like Rain [8:49] ~ Terrapin Station [15:19] > Drums [10:16] > Space (3) [10:05] > The Other One [7:46] > The Wheel [4:06] > Morning Dew [11:58] Encore Turn On Your Lovelight [7:20]

Two - Foolish Heart [11:25] > Looks Like Rain [7:23] > Crazy Fingers [8:05] > Dark Star [:45] > Playing In The Band [7:17] > Terrapin Station [10:21#] > Jam [#4:22] > Drums [11:32] > Space [8:13] > Dark Star [7:03] > Playing In The Band [3:37] > Black Peter [9:23] ; One More Saturday Night [1:41#] Encore The Weight

I can't remember ever seeing a second set LLR. I will have to check the database, but I am drawing a blank on that. I saw zero shows after Boston March 1981 until Providence September 1987.

Philly '86 is the first time I remember seeing a 2nd set LLR....

The "Desolation Row" is fantastic from this show, as well. AND, a "Tom Thumb's" out of Space!:

https://archive.org/details/gd86-03-25.sbd.braverman-munder.9880.sbeok.shnf

From Lammy

Skipped on them in Denver earlier in the week. How was it?

It was good - glad I went. Definitely would have been a bit better with a lead player (Either another guitar or piano), but weir was in great voice and his playing was great, for the most part. Don Was was solid on bass, too. Was able to get a great seat, so it was nice to watch Was up close. 

Oddly enough I Need a  Miracle and Josephine were highlights for me. It was also nice to hear the tunes from Weir's Blue Mountain record. Lastly Lane is a trip to watch play - stoned to the gills, it appeared. 

Festive crowd. 

Chicago night 2 (11/1/18)

Set 1
Jack Straw
I Need A Miracle
Wang Dang Doodle
Gonesville
Peggy-O
Josephine
Loose Lucy
Althea 
Going Down The Road Feeling Bad