• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you shocked at Wrigleyville - esp. if you haven't been there since 85. Quite a change. Did they have anybody from the Grateful Dead organization on hand - the White Sox had TC on the field to say "play ball" to start their GD Night game, this year. 

Oh man. I didn't really recognize anything but the ballpark itself. Much more money in the area - that was obvious!

There wasn't anyone from the organization there. But I guess WE were there because Weir Everywhere haha.

I wonder why these teams our doing such things? Is it just to get people in the seats? I have read attendance is down all over. I can see SF doing a GD night. That one makes sense. It is a son of a bitching thing that most hyped thing about my Pirates is that they have been pushing a Ed Sheeran concert all season. Whoever in the hell that is. 

I guess there's SO much money involved with these ballparks - the overhead has to be astronomical - that putting on concerts is a way to keep the money flowing when the team's out of town. Wrigley was hyping a Like Bryan show (whoever that is!) but it'll pull in big bucks for sure.

That must be it. 

LONG STRANGE TRIP: THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE GRATEFUL DEAD will be available onNovember 9 as a double-DVD ($24.98) and single Blu-ray ($27.98). The Deluxe Edition will be available the same day exclusively from Dead.net on three DVDs ($26.98) and two Blu-rays ($30.98). Production of the Deluxe Edition is limited to 6,500 copies each on DVD and Blu-ray.

All versions include the original documentary in stereo, as well as a new 5.1 surround mix. They also feature a new commentary track with director Bar-Lev and editor John Walter. The Deluxe Edition boasts a previously unreleased, six-song live performance from the band’s first show overseas, recorded on May 24, 1970 in England at the Hollywood Festival, along with backstage footage from the band’s first trip over the pond. The Deluxe Edition also includes two live performances from 1989 (“Dear Mr. Fantasy” and “Death Don’t Have No Mercy”). Snippets of all the bonus content were used in the film, but this marks the first time they will be released in their entirety.

“Around 2003, while winding through the 16mm film outtakes for The Grateful Dead Movie in preparation for its DVD release, I came across a couple of unlabeled cans of 16mm film. I loaded the first reel onto the Steenbeck film viewing/editing table and was amazed by what I saw,” says band archivist David Lemieux. “Not only rare, exceptional quality material from the performance at the Hollywood Festival, but loads of other terrific footage, showing the band at a Warner Bros. Records party in London (Pigpen surrounded by suits!), at a photo shoot (‘that’s one uncooperative bunch of musicians!’), at a rehearsal hall performing ‘Candyman’ vocal harmonies and, most exciting of all, backstage at the festival. This is truly some of the most remarkable, candid, and interesting footage in existence of the Grateful Dead and we’re thrilled to be releasing the entirety of this wonderful historical document.”

Yeah - I don't revisit doc's too often - so I know it will just sit on the shelf, plus I caught it when it as on Amazon. I'll wait until the bonus stuff is out there and watch it then.

About a week until the Pacific box is released - definitely looking forward to that...

Here’s a pretty in depth article about the Dead and Dylan. Some insight on the relationship between “Spike” (Dylan’s nickname) and Jerry. Lots I didn’t know here, but might be nothing new to a deeper head- funny they jammed in “Boy in the Bubble” long before the Dead and Co. jam

https://doomandgloomfromthetomb.tumblr.com/post/177555446892/the-ballad-of-spike-jerry-bob-dylan-jerry/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Thanks for the above -- a nice read. 

I skipped the Dead/Dylan 2003 tour when it came to the Chicago area -- mostly because it was held down at the Joliet race track. I think the stage was blown down, the day prior to the gig.

In hind site, I wish I would have went. Many of my friends went and enjoyed it. 

I skipped the Dead/Dylan 2003 tour when it came to the Chicago area -- mostly because it was held down at the Joliet race track. I think the stage was blown down, the day prior to the gig.

It actually was a pretty good show, and the Dylan sit in was solid. Senor, Oh Boy, and Around and Around I believe. There was some storm that caused stage problems and Moe's opening set got cancelled. Weird scene in Joliet. You could leave the venue and go back and forth from your car. Sit anywhere in the venue you wanted. Fun time, but it was a long day and people were trashed. 

The Boy in the Bubble from those rehearsals is great. No surprise Jerry remembered that lasers in the jungle verse. Must be Paul Simon writing about his ayahuasca experiences I'd guess.

I caught the 2003 Dead/Dylan tour on the Tampa stop. I always tell the story about the sound in that venue: for years, it was called the Ice Palace, and people commonly referred to it as the Echodome. Typical hockey rink arena, not built for sound. Whenever you went to a show there, you never knew how bad it would be, because a sound man wouldn't necessarily be able to overcome the limitations of the building.

Dylan came out for that show and it was horrible. His energy was fine, and the band was great, but the sound was probably the worst I've heard in that venue. Then there was a break. The Dead came out and opened up with Help On the Way, and the sound was incredible. Everyone in the place leapt to their feet - including my non-Deadhead wife, who had commented during Dylan's set, "I can't understand a word he's singing," to which I'd replied, "And that's when Bob is at his best." She didn't think that was funny.

When Dylan joined the Dead for Friend of the Devil, Gotta Serve Somebody and Like A Rolling Stone, he sounded soooooo much better. Made me wish he'd fire his sound man.

Joan Osborne was on that tour, and she was great with that band. Better than Donna on those backup vocals, from what I heard. The weak link, oddly enough, was Phil. When he sang Mountains of the Moon during the second set, it completely sucked all the energy out of the room. I've avoided gigs where he might be singing ever since.

Ever notice how similar Gotta Serve Somebody and West La Fadeaway are? Written around the same time, and likely when  Jerry and Dylan were having a big influence on each other.

Yeah - i can hear some similarities rhythmically --- Gotta Serve Somebday came out a few years earlier. (Recorded May, 79) -- West LA first appeared in '82, I think. Both great tunes.

Dylan has been playing Gotta Serve Somebody again recently - - he changed a bit of lyrics and completely changed it, rhythmically. 

Ever notice how similar Gotta Serve Somebody and West La Fadeaway are? Written around the same time, and likely when  Jerry and Dylan were having a big influence on each other.

That sounds like a GREAT idea for a song pairing for a local Dead cover band. That could be a very smooth segue. I'm going to throw that thought to my friends here.

That sounds like a GREAT idea for a song pairing for a local Dead cover band. That could be a very smooth segue. I'm going to throw that thought to my friends here.

Listen to live versions of Gotta Serve Somebody from the recently released Trouble No More box set for comparison. The jams, particularly the lead guitar, are essentially the same. So dark, bluesy, nasty.

Got my shipping email overnight -- it states it should be shipping to my house tomorrow - which might be problematic, since my street will be closed due to our village's fest in the park across the street from me. Guess I will need to find my local UPS place or I guess I could just stand and the corner and flag down UPS trucks all day long...

Currently listening to VInce's first show (9.7.90) --- from the get go his board didn't sound all that great.