I guess the main thesis is that Lesh saw how popular his draw was with his Phil and Friends line-ups and he felt that his wife and him were the ones who should dictate the Grateful Dead legacy. 

The whole book is a bit skewed against him because, the author marginalized Phil's importance when Garcia and the Dead were going -- which in itself is ridiculous. One of the potshots the author took at Phil was that if Weir sang Box of Rain, the tune would have been a smash hit -- which I think is a ridiculous thing to write. First off who cares about a smash hit - but the studio version is one of the best things the Dead ever put on tape.

The whole Steve Kimock leaving mid-tour is talked about. Parrish and I think Ram Rod left the tour the same day as Kimock left -- all because of Phil's wife, I guess.

Lastly, I think it comes down the dudes (band members and staff) who have been around the scene forever, took exception of Phil's wife telling them what they can or cannot do. 

It took me a day to get through the book -- it is pretty well written at least. Like I wrote, it was nice to read about the various line-ups and such. I did a lot of glancing through sections - esp. during they whole bit with Garcia's widow and his guitars, I didn't want to go back through rabbit hole, again.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the main thesis is that Lesh saw how popular his draw was with his Phil and Friends line-ups and he felt that his wife and him were the ones who should dictate the Grateful Dead legacy. 

The whole book is a bit skewed against him because, the author marginalized Phil's importance when Garcia and the Dead were going -- which in itself is ridiculous. One of the potshots the author took at Phil was that if Weir sang Box of Rain, the tune would have been a smash hit -- which I think is a ridiculous thing to write. First off who cares about a smash hit - but the studio version is one of the best things the Dead ever put on tape.

The whole Steve Kimock leaving mid-tour is talked about. Parrish and I think Ram Rod left the tour the same day as Kimock left -- all because of Phil's wife, I guess.

Lastly, I think it comes down the dudes (band members and staff) who have been around the scene forever, took exception of Phil's wife telling them what they can or cannot do. 

It took me a day to get through the book -- it is pretty well written at least. Like I wrote, it was nice to read about the various line-ups and such. I did a lot of glancing through sections - esp. during they whole bit with Garcia's widow and his guitars, I didn't want to go back through rabbit hole, again.

I've read some of that guy's books. He seems to be a sort of TMZ guy in a way. 

Yeah - I don't think I ever heard of the author before. I can see the TMZ angle -- I wouldn't call the Dead book a hatchet job, though. We all know the Dead were not all that functional when Garcia was around --- they continue to be dysfunctional after his demise. Phil seems to have become a little more selfish  -- which at the end of the day is his provocative, especially with all his health issues, not to mention his age, compared to the rest. 

Other news, I went to the White Sox game last night, where it was Grateful Dead Night and I saw Tom Constanten - he was sitting in with the band that was playing up on the kid's deck between inning. It was kinda of cool seeing him play.

He seemed as weird (in a good way) as ever - as I expected him to be.

I didn't go to the movies last night, instead we just stayed home and watched the DVD of 7/7/89.  Played it probably louder than the theaters around here do, just on a smaller screen! 

The whole first set was strong and the Blow Away coda when Brent goes off vocally and musically the band brings the song to a peak with an Allmans-like ending was a great moment.  The second set was up and down, with a shaky Box of Rain and a fair Scarlet.  Fire On The Mountain was where it got going to my ears and it was OK after than until a very strong Wharf Rat and a solid Heaven's Door.  Pretty good stuff for 1989, I usually enjoy that year more with video than with audio alone, especially when JG is rocking out or smiling or connecting with Brent or really feeling it and you can tell from watching him.

That's why I chose to go the White Sox game with my kid instead heading to the movie- I have that DVD and when I have gone to these movie events, they don't play it loud enough.

I must admit, I tend to skip Blow Away. After seeing it a few times on the DVD, I get tire of the ending vamp. I only saw them with Brent twice and they didn't play Blow Away, either time - probably would have different perspective of the tune if I would have seen it performed live.

Yeah - I don't think I ever heard of the author before. I can see the TMZ angle -- I wouldn't call the Dead book a hatchet job, though. We all know the Dead were not all that functional when Garcia was around --- they continue to be dysfunctional after his demise. Phil seems to have become a little more selfish  -- which at the end of the day is his provocative, especially with all his health issues, not to mention his age, compared to the rest. 

Other news, I went to the White Sox game last night, where it was Grateful Dead Night and I saw Tom Constanten - he was sitting in with the band that was playing up on the kid's deck between inning. It was kinda of cool seeing him play.

I think the two I read were about San Francisco bands and Monterey Pop. I recall seeing him in various documentaries over the years.

I think the two I read were about San Francisco bands and Monterey Pop. I recall seeing him in various documentaries over the years.

Looking through his books - I did read the one on Altamont. I remember it being pretty good.

Also, finally got around to obtaining the Grateful Dead Gear book -- I always borrowed it from my library, but it went missing.

The edition I got was definitely a reprint and not a very good one at that. All the pictures are black and white. But I happy to finally have a copy of it around the house for reference. 

:banana  That is cool as hell! 

I must admit, I tend to skip Blow Away. After seeing it a few times on the DVD, I get tire of the ending vamp. I only saw them with Brent twice and they didn't play Blow Away, either time - probably would have different perspective of the tune if I would have seen it performed live.

I saw the first one (Alpine '88) and a few others. That song doesn't do much for me. I LOVED Brent's playing but I never really cared for most of his tunes.

Just got the below email --- Don Was has always kind of bugged me  - at least his production has. Should be an interesting show.

BOB WEIR AND WOLF BROS
TO TOUR THIS FALL

TRIO FEATURING DON WAS AND JAY LANE PERFORMING SONGS OF GRATEFUL DEAD AND MORE

19 DATES ACROSS NORTH AMERICA Bob Weir and Wolf Bros featuring Bob WeirDon Was and Jay Lane performing songs of Grateful Dead and more will embark on a 19-stop tour this fall. 

Weir says, “Wolf Bros is something that really took its roots back in the spring of 2015 when Don Was came up to TRI and helped us piece together Dead & Company. For a while now I’ve been itchin’ to explore our songs in a trio setting. An upright bass, my acoustic or electric guitar and a drummer. We did some rehearsals this past spring and it was big fun—and that’s the whole idea. We were kickin’ around Dead songs as well as tunes from my back pages. I’m pretty sure we’re gonna have a big adventure with this...”   

I didn't go to the movies last night, instead we just stayed home and watched the DVD of 7/7/89.  Played it probably louder than the theaters around here do, just on a smaller screen! 

The whole first set was strong and the Blow Away coda when Brent goes off vocally and musically the band brings the song to a peak with an Allmans-like ending was a great moment.  The second set was up and down, with a shaky Box of Rain and a fair Scarlet.  Fire On The Mountain was where it got going to my ears and it was OK after than until a very strong Wharf Rat and a solid Heaven's Door.  Pretty good stuff for 1989, I usually enjoy that year more with video than with audio alone, especially when JG is rocking out or smiling or connecting with Brent or really feeling it and you can tell from watching him.

Threw this on -- it is so fun watching Garcia smile...His true love of playing and love of music is so evident. Sadly it didn't show all the time.

july 7, 1989 was one of the best shows of 1989. The first set is fantastic for many reasons (e.g., best aiko post 1985?) (e.g., excellent jam in hell in a bucket) (e.g., check out the huge blast Phil bomb as the band comes out of Loser jam to "Last fair deal...") (e.g., Let it Grow is only rivaled by 10 February 1989 for best of the year). The second set is equally impressive (e.g., scarlet fire is huge) (e.g., the lovelight finale ends, and then returns for another finale).

Pretty cool to have such footage of a great great show from such a late era in Jerry's career...

:banana  That is cool as hell! 

I saw the first one (Alpine '88) and a few others. That song doesn't do much for me. I LOVED Brent's playing but I never really cared for most of his tunes.

Was at that Alpine one, as well. I really enjoyed Brent tunes at shows and thought an Easy to Love You, or Far From Me or Blow Away or Tons of Steel or whatever was a nice piece to a set and a welcomed change from the (typical) Weir-Garcia-Weir-Garcia (or Garcia-Weir-Garcia-Weir) pattern. I'm not sure all of "his" tunes hold up real well, though, years later, Blow Away being one of them (though it hurts a bit to think this).

GD Radio is playing a Furthur show from 11/15/11 --- Right now they are playing Weir's Big Bad Blues - a pretty decent tune. Dead & Co should play it, maybe they have.

Lyrics by Hunter

http://whitegum.com/introjs.htm?/songfile/BIGBADBL.HTM

I don't think Dead Co do any non-GD era tunes. Not even any new covers. All previous Dead offshoots had some post-GD era tunes and covers. They aren't even playing anything off Bob's much beloved recent album Blue Mountain. So, don't hold your breath.

I don't think Dead Co do any non-GD era tunes. Not even any new covers. All previous Dead offshoots had some post-GD era tunes and covers. They aren't even playing anything off Bob's much beloved recent album Blue Mountain. So, don't hold your breath.

Yeah -- it being a Hunter/Weir penned tune, I think it is a bit different than the Blue Mountain tunes - I think they should give it a shot.

Why not take advantage of Hunter penned tunes that were written with Mickey or Bobby after Garcia's death. Mayer can use his mad dancing skills during some of the Hunter/Hart Mystery Box tunes...Can you imagine a Full Steam Ahead opener, the place wouldn't know what hit 'em....

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone here go to Grateful Dead Night at Wrigley Field on Monday? That was quite a bit of fun, although it was stupid-hot out.

I literally hadn't been to see my Cubs since before they got lights (1985). A friend of mine called me up a couple of weeks ago to tell me his girlfriend pootered out on him and would I like to go? Uhhh...YEAH!

We got a room about a 30 minute walk from Wrigley, hit a few hole-in-the-wall bars on the way there (which made me feel right at home) and then danced out front pre-game to local Dead Cover band Mr. Blotto (I saw them once in Indy about 25-30 years ago, pretty decent band). Our tickets included a neat ball cap - Cubs "C" with a row of dancing bears going through the "C". Got Bleacher Bum tickets damn near dead center field about 5 rows up from the outfield wall. They played GD tunes through the PA between innings - Touch & Truckin' (of course) and Golden Road (surprise!).

Classic matchup between two of the NL's best - Lester vs. Syndergaard. But the wind was SCREAMING straight out to center, so I expected a 17-15 game. We did win 7-4, and Rizz hit a HR in the 8th about 15 feet left of where we were sitting. Got to see my man Carl Jr. go 3 up 3 down in the 8th as well. FLY THE W.

My friend Russ' long time friend Karen, a Wrigleyville native and bartender at Lincoln Tap, took us on a bar hop of her favorite places - stuff NOT on the tourist trap of Wrigley bars. She was quite a vivacious and wonderful host. Just a wonderful time for me.

I wonder why these teams our doing such things? Is it just to get people in the seats? I have read attendance is down all over. I can see SF doing a GD night. That one makes sense. It is a son of a bitching thing that most hyped thing about my Pirates is that they have been pushing a Ed Sheeran concert all season. Whoever in the hell that is. 

Did anyone here go to Grateful Dead Night at Wrigley Field on Monday? That was quite a bit of fun, although it was stupid-hot out.

I literally hadn't been to see my Cubs since before they got lights (1985). A friend of mine called me up a couple of weeks ago to tell me his girlfriend pootered out on him and would I like to go? Uhhh...YEAH!

We got a room about a 30 minute walk from Wrigley, hit a few hole-in-the-wall bars on the way there (which made me feel right at home) and then danced out front pre-game to local Dead Cover band Mr. Blotto (I saw them once in Indy about 25-30 years ago, pretty decent band). Our tickets included a neat ball cap - Cubs "C" with a row of dancing bears going through the "C". Got Bleacher Bum tickets damn near dead center field about 5 rows up from the outfield wall. They played GD tunes through the PA between innings - Touch & Truckin' (of course) and Golden Road (surprise!).

Classic matchup between two of the NL's best - Lester vs. Syndergaard. But the wind was SCREAMING straight out to center, so I expected a 17-15 game. We did win 7-4, and Rizz hit a HR in the 8th about 15 feet left of where we were sitting. Got to see my man Carl Jr. go 3 up 3 down in the 8th as well. FLY THE W.

My friend Russ' long time friend Karen, a Wrigleyville native and bartender at Lincoln Tap, took us on a bar hop of her favorite places - stuff NOT on the tourist trap of Wrigley bars. She was quite a vivacious and wonderful host. Just a wonderful time for me.

Were you shocked at Wrigleyville - esp. if you haven't been there since 85. Quite a change. Did they have anybody from the Grateful Dead organization on hand - the White Sox had TC on the field to say "play ball" to start their GD Night game, this year. 

I wonder why these teams our doing such things? Is it just to get people in the seats? I have read attendance is down all over. I can see SF doing a GD night. That one makes sense. It is a son of a bitching thing that most hyped thing about my Pirates is that they have been pushing a Ed Sheeran concert all season. Whoever in the hell that is. 

I guessing it is the Grateful Dead reaching out to the teams. Looking at the box that held the White Sox dancing figurines - it only listed the Grateful Dead organization. I think funds collected for these nights go to the Rex Foundation - the Dead charities wing.

Baseball has always done this stuff - at least since the 70's. Kinda proud it kinda started with the White Sox (for better or worse) when Bill Veeck owned the team --- Disco Demolition was one the first times that this type of promotion went awry. 

But I remember going to the White Sox games and getting hats/shirts in the late 70's and early 80's. I am guessing other teams did such things, too.