• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason I haven't revisited the Warfield 80 run in a while - perhaps because I have been listening to Dead Set and For The Faithful since the beginning of my Dead listening...

Anyway - listening to 10/11/80 this a.m. --- Brent really shines on Rosalie McFall -- such great runs throughout the tune.

I would be happy with a box set of the run.  15 shows.  I guess they could add the 8 shows from Radio City. The band sure were busy from 9/25 through 10/31

https://archive.org/details/gd1980-10-11.142012.sbd.smith.miller.clugston.flac2496/Gd80-10-11S1t03RosalieMcfall.flac

For some reason I haven't revisited the Warfield 80 run in a while - perhaps because I have been listening to Dead Set and For The Faithful since the beginning of my Dead listening...

Anyway - listening to 10/11/80 this a.m. --- Brent really shines on Rosalie McFall -- such great runs throughout the tune.

I would be happy with a box set of the run.  15 shows.  I guess they could add the 8 shows from Radio City. The band sure were busy from 9/25 through 10/31

https://archive.org/details/gd1980-10-11.142012.sbd.smith.miller.clugston.flac2496/Gd80-10-11S1t03RosalieMcfall.flac

Nice. 10.10.80 show, particularly the electric stuff, is top-notch, imo.

This was kind of interesting to check out. GD's ticket revenue, all-time....:

http://www.gratefulseconds.com/2016/01/grateful-dead-touring-revenues-1965-1995.html

Wow, the jumps from 86 to 87 (+134%) and then from 92 to 93 (+50%) are amazing.

I wonder what the Net totals were, and what the payouts to everyone in the family were. What kind of salary were the band members drawing towards the end? The crew? 

This comment appears below the article, which also blows my mind:

The ticket revenue from the three Chicago Fare thee Well shows were higher than the total ticket revenue the band's shows generated during the 1960s and 1970s combined.

Wow, the jumps from 86 to 87 (+134%) and then from 92 to 93 (+50%) are amazing.

I wonder what the Net totals were, and what the payouts to everyone in the family were. What kind of salary were the band members drawing towards the end? The crew? 

This comment appears below the article, which also blows my mind:

The ticket revenue from the three Chicago Fare thee Well shows were higher than the total ticket revenue the band's shows generated during the 1960s and 1970s combined.

Good questions, and, it'd be interesting to hear the answers to them. 

'86 was only a half year due to the coma, of course. And then, In '87, In the Dark was released....

'92 saw "only"  57 shows....I know there were no NYE shows, but trying to remember why so few. No fall tour that year, I think, but forget the reason why.

I also noted that ticket prices doubled (from $2 to $4) from '69 to '70. I wonder if there was outrage, at the time, at the increase in ticket prices...

I also noted that ticket prices doubled (from $2 to $4) from '69 to '70. I wonder if there was outrage, at the time, at the increase in ticket prices...

I know fans and critics alike were going apeshit over the Stones ticket prices in '69 (ranging from $3 to $8), which is why they wanted to put on a free show at the end of the tour. The road to hell being paved with good intentions, of course. 

So, I'm assuming that $8 was the most expensive rock concert ticket to date. Once they established that bar, the Dead (and other acts) must have felt secure in raising prices while also offering tickets at half the price.

The latest Dave's Pick was just announced - 6.17.76 - Capital Theater. Not sure if I ever hear it before. 

Saw that. Dave recently released a July '76 show from SF. Other than the total fun of being at this Passaic and Beacon shows, not my favorite era of GD music in retrospect, but I have the subscription so I'll check it out.  

'92 saw "only"  57 shows....I know there were no NYE shows, but trying to remember why so few. No fall tour that year, I think, but forget the reason why.

Jerry got sick again and they cancelled a bunch of shows, if I recall.  Wasn't that the year they were gonna do Veneta, Oregon again as the 20th anniversary and it got cancelled?  I was set to go and was bummed, of course.  There was no Fall tour that year, no shows between July and Dec.

https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1992

Etree.org is going through some turmoil it would appear. Here is the message shown for the site:

Unfortunately, long time etree.org volunteer, Tom H Anderson, has leftetree.org and has asked that this site be removed.He claims under penalty of perjury in a United States court of lawthat he is the owner of "all code and database for the site."This is something etree.org disagrees with. We hope to returndb.etree.org VERY soon. We apologize for this inconvenience. "What we're thinking about is a peaceful planet. We're not thinkingabout anything else. We're not thinking about any kind of power. We'renot thinking about any kind of struggles. We're not thinking aboutrevolution or war or any of that. That's not what we want. Nobodywants to get hurt. Nobody wants to hurt anybody. We would all like tobe able to live an uncluttered life. A simple life, a good life. Andthink about moving the whole human race ahead a step, or a few steps."--Jerry Garcia

It's back now. It did go away. I figured there was some bullshit going on. I look at that site many times a day. And one day it was gone - replaced with a message that said "goodbye". It never ceases to amaze that a place is created online that becomes something very important - and then gets zapped due to one person's decision.

The latest Dave's Pick was just announced - 6.17.76 - Capital Theater. Not sure if I ever hear it before. 

I've never heard it. I had 6/18 & 19 on  cassette.

I would have much preferred 6/14. I guess I'll never see that come to pass.

Barcelona, capital of the Great Hippy Nation

The Music & Art Immersion event brings the passion for The Grateful Dead to the city

A hundred American fans enjoy for 10 days the private performances of renowned musicians from the 'jamband' scene, inspired by the group of Jerry Garcia

https://www.elperiodico.com/es/ocio-y-cultura/20181009/barcelona-capital-de-la-gran-nacion-hippy-7080205

I missed this thing …It seems a thing for the musicians rather than the fans although the sub headline on American fans disconcerts me. Anyway, now it’s not the best of times for visiting Barcelona given the political tension…

Google translation below

Alfred Crespo

Barcelona - Tuesday, 09/10/2018 at 18:14 CEST
Grahame Lesh, Matt Buttler, Ross James and Scott Law, in a private performance in Barcelona.

For some it remains true. Music never stops, and is the axis on which everything else tilts. One of the most atypical meetings that Barcelona has experienced in years is a clear example of this. What is Music & Art Immersion? No one better than one of the event's ideologues, Matt Buttler, to explain it: "I'm involved in IGE, a project that organizes a travel-based cultural adventure for musicians and their fans." The intention is to create a musical environment for the performers, In a place in Europe where there will be ten days for all the members of the project to play and collaborate, with the intention of demonstrating that music is the language of peace, I really believe it, so part of the mission is to bring abroad, part of the American musical community, I would love to make it more global ".

There is nothing. Bring together a hundred selected participants - as you can imagine, the laminated pass that acts as a safe-conduct and allows access to all activities is not exactly cheap - all of them Americans, embark them to the Catalan capital and organize a program of activities that combines cultural visits with concerts that start after breakfast and that continue until the wee hours of the morning. Next to the assistants, near two tens of reputed musicians pertaining to the scene 'jamband', based on mixing improvisation and respect by the American traditional music. A scene practically unknown by these lands, but that counts in the United States with a massive following. And always with the Grateful Dead songs in the foreground.

Another mystery The Dead's visible head, Jerry Garcia, died in 1995. Since then, with the inactive band excepting punctual meetings, the cult around him has not decreased, capturing young people who had not been born when Jerry and company tried to contribute to build the Great Hippie Nation based on acid rock, LSD and free love.Taking a walk through one of the spaces chosen for the concerts that have brought them to Barcelona - also atypical venues, from a library to modernist palaces, through the European Museum of Modern Art or the basement of an Argentine restaurant - means meeting old people survivors of the Woodstock times sharing bar, drinks and dancing with thirty-something people dressed up in attire close to punk aesthetics or interesting mature people who can not, nor want to, hide that life, at least economically, smiles at them. All together they occupy an entire hotel in the Raval, near the Liceu, where they fraternize and extend the days lying on cushions on the floor while the instrumentalists play to the variable and unpredictable alignment.

Master of ceremonies
A novelty compared to previous editions, mainly held in Venice: on this occasion, the local fan is offered the opportunity to taste what the guests of the above mentioned hotel savor for a week and a half. And at a reasonable price. How? Organizing a concert open to the public at Sala Apolo in Barcelona on Thursday, October 11. Under the claim of one of the best-known songs of The Grateful Dead, 'The Music Never Stopped', and without disguising their intentions - "celebrate the music of Grateful Dead" -, who acquires your ticket can witness about three hours of authentic Expansive sounds, initiated by The Everyone Orchestra, directed by Matt Buttler himself. An orchestra also unconventional, in which none of the musicians knows in advance what role to play in the concert. Buttler, master of ceremonies, decides at all times when the participating musicians take action, and does not consider it risky - "in improvisation there are no mistakes, only opportunities," he says. Then, various associative formulas will allow the cast of artists embarked on this charity project (the profits will go to several NGOs), review the songs popularized by Jerry, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh -in Barcelona his son is present, Grahame, leader of the exquisite Midnight North- and company. A unique opportunity to see how Nicki Bluhm, Bill & Jilian Nershi, Holly Bowling, Ross James and Scott Law, among others, immerse themselves in the mental and musical waves of the creators of mythical albums like 'American beauty'. Next station, Prague and Lisbon 

Weir started his Wolf Brothers' tour a couple of night ago - -below is a recording. Only up to Me and My Uncle - sounds OK so far. Really enjoy Was and Lane's playing on this Uncle version.

Won't be catching either of the Chicago shows -may webcast one of them, though.

https://soundcloud.com/user-446338098/sets/bob-weir-wolf-bros-10-16-18?fbclid=IwAR1_pp_-52RHBL1qojKNKoELUeAGgvudXw4kW_HnHl5BdFxzW7B6o6PdRlE

I subscribed again - can't really beat the early bird rate. David really outdid himself on this video -- man the wind noise is pretty bad at times --- I wonder if he even watches them, before he puts them out. Guessing not really...

Look forward to the Swing show. 

Still kicking around getting a ticket for one of the Chicago Weir shows. A decent seat popped up, but still on the fence. 

I subscribed again - can't really beat the early bird rate. David really outdid himself on this video -- man the wind noise is pretty bad at times --- I wonder if he even watches them, before he puts them out. Guessing not really...

Look forward to the Swing show. 

Still kicking around getting a ticket for one of the Chicago Weir shows. A decent seat popped up, but still on the fence. 

I still have barely scratched the surface of the Pacific Northwest box. Same with the R.E.M. BBC box. So, like the last several years I tell myself I'm not going to subscribe next year, and then I immediately subscribed after watching the video this morning. Addiction?