Oh yeah - now I see that road via google. I did see people heading out on the road. I didn't go that way, because I wasn't sure where it lead to.

Never thought I would write it - but just keep the shows at Wrigley....

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah - now I see that road via google. I did see people heading out on the road. I didn't go that way, because I wasn't sure where it lead to.

Never thought I would write it - but just keep the shows at Wrigley....

I've never been to the Northerly Island place. Any good?

I was supposed to be in attendance at the last Brent shows at Tinley park in 1990, but my own stupidity and an undercover cop conspired against me. Seems out of the way, but I see they still book tours there too. 

Northerly Island is nice -- but you can't see the stage if you are out on the lawn -- at least back in 2013 when I saw Phish, you couldn't. The had screens, though. I saw Furthur abd stood in the general admission area, where the stage is visible and it sounded okay. Can't beat the backdrop of the city, either. 

I live about 10 minutes away from the World in Tinley --- Last summer, after a 21 year hiatus, I finally went back to see a show there. It still wasn't the best sounding venue ---- but I wouldn't mind if Dead & Co play there. It beats heading back up to Alpine.

Must admit, reading about the security issues this past weekend at Alpine - I'd be fine never heading back up there. Grant it I have been heading up there since '89  and I never had any issues and the few times I did run into issues, I was always given a warning. I don't think I want to press my luck anymore. It is kinda ridiculous to get a citation for having a smoke at a Dead show... That's why I like when the play in Chicago - the police have many more important things to do that look for smokers.

I was at Brent's last show --- they were banned after those shows-- or maybe the Dead banned themselves. There were a ton of people that came to those shows. I lived the next town over from the venue and Heads were everywhere.

I'd be there my touring friends planned Telluride bluegrass fest about a year ago...So I'm in Telluride and can't believe the number of deadheads here. I'd say every 20th tshirt is dead related.

How was the fest and where did you stay? Wondering on pros and cons of staying in Mtn Village, but seems like staying in town of Telluride is probably too expensive, and not interested in camping. 

I went with 9 friends (all guys).

The Bluegrass fest started thursday.

I arrived tuesday with one friend to go hiking. For those first two nights we stayed at a condo in Telluride. For the festival we moved to a large condo (5 bedroom) in mountain village. We had to take the gondola (we called it the "ganjala") to and from telluride.

The gondola was not that bad. After each night of the festival there were very long gondola lines to get back to mountain village (25 -40 minute wait), but we just went to the singles line and it was only about 15 minutes (and 2-3 of us went up together).

If I had it to do again and money was not an issue, I'd stay in telluride.

If i had it to do again and money was an issue, i'd stay in mountain village. it really wasn't that bad.

hiking wise, we did the see forever trail (up to 12,500 feet) to the wasatch connection and bear creek trail - about a 9 mile look. Stunning views....

The festival was an incredible amount of fun. especially the tarp run...

I went with 9 friends (all guys).

The Bluegrass fest started thursday.

I arrived tuesday with one friend to go hiking. For those first two nights we stayed at a condo in Telluride. For the festival we moved to a large condo (5 bedroom) in mountain village. We had to take the gondola (we called it the "ganjala") to and from telluride.

The gondola was not that bad. After each night of the festival there were very long gondola lines to get back to mountain village (25 -40 minute wait), but we just went to the singles line and it was only about 15 minutes (and 2-3 of us went up together).

If I had it to do again and money was not an issue, I'd stay in telluride.

If i had it to do again and money was an issue, i'd stay in mountain village. it really wasn't that bad.

hiking wise, we did the see forever trail (up to 12,500 feet) to the wasatch connection and bear creek trail - about a 9 mile look. Stunning views....

The festival was an incredible amount of fun. especially the tarp run...

Good info, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught DSO at Red Rocks last night (recreating 7.8.78 Red Rocks show). Donna sang, too. Overall, an excellent might of music. The joint was certainly jumping.

Dead & LLC a couple night ago in Boulder. Meh. Skipped last night. Mickey was licking  the Beam during "Space." Probably the most interesting point of the show. 

I'm just glad it's over and I survived it.  :D

Now can we go back to discussing the next Dave's, box sets, etc.? l'm in TOO many Dead FB groups and that whole Mayer/Jerry/DeadCo vs Dead/fans vs haters thing was tiring and annoying as fuck. AND the next person who asks "Where's Shakedown?" get a shiv. lol

yeah, I'm more interested in what the next Dave's Pick is going to be, too.  Announcement should come soon.

sorry to continue the topic, mountain bed, but I happened to hear Mayer interviewed on Gans' radio show on Sirius M this AM and I am so impressed with his take on things and his attitude, specifically that way that he addressed the questions of the slow tempos.  His answer was nuanced, fair, acknowledged different points of view and was not inflammatory but rather concilliatory.  To paraphrase he said even though he agrees that the tempos are sometimes too slow, he thinks its up to the singer and the composer of the song to decide what they want, what they are comfortable with and what they think will make the song the best in their view.  He stressed the democracy in the band and gave an example of how they played Fire On The Mountain faster than the old guys wanted because Otiel, as the singer, said he needed it to be at a faster tempo to be able to sing in and play the bass at the same time.  He said he thinks the tempos are better this tour than they were on the first couple.

Every person is a complex mixed bag, but there is a lot about Mayer as a person that I have a lot of respect for.

11/2/83  - not sure if I heard this one before.

dp_27pre-order+Artwork.jpg

"The Grateful Dead picked up their instruments and hit the first note with perfection. They never missed a note for the next three and one-half hours. People followed the flow of the tunes. Down on the floor in front of the stage was a sea of heads keeping time with the music. No one sat still. No one, except the youngsters behind us sat still. They were still and stunned." - The Power County Press And what a stunner it was, that show at the Boise State University Pavilion in Boise, ID on September 2, 1983. Dave's Picks Volume 27 contains every stitch of music from this mid-80s show (our first in this series), one that's as good as any other in Grateful Dead history. When the Dead were on, they were ON! Straight out the gate with a definitive take on the old standard "Wang Dang Doodle," the band swiftly switches back to a setlist of yore, firing off 70s staples like "Jack Straw" and "Brown-Eyed Women" and wrapping things up with a terrific trio of "Big Railroad Blues"/"Looks Like Rain"/"Deal" (don't you let that epic guitar solo go down without you). Primed for the second set, they tackle the complexities of "Help>Slipknot!>Franklin's" with heart and ease. It's clear there will be no stopping their flow - Bobby and Brent hanging in for a fantastic pre-Drums "Jam" and Jerry and Bobby in the zone on a not-to-be-missed melodic "Space." Not a skipper in the whole lot! Dave's Picks Volume 27 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*. *Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

11/2/83  - not sure if I heard this one before.

dp_27pre-order+Artwork.jpg

"The Grateful Dead picked up their instruments and hit the first note with perfection. They never missed a note for the next three and one-half hours. People followed the flow of the tunes. Down on the floor in front of the stage was a sea of heads keeping time with the music. No one sat still. No one, except the youngsters behind us sat still. They were still and stunned." - The Power County Press And what a stunner it was, that show at the Boise State University Pavilion in Boise, ID on September 2, 1983. Dave's Picks Volume 27 contains every stitch of music from this mid-80s show (our first in this series), one that's as good as any other in Grateful Dead history. When the Dead were on, they were ON! Straight out the gate with a definitive take on the old standard "Wang Dang Doodle," the band swiftly switches back to a setlist of yore, firing off 70s staples like "Jack Straw" and "Brown-Eyed Women" and wrapping things up with a terrific trio of "Big Railroad Blues"/"Looks Like Rain"/"Deal" (don't you let that epic guitar solo go down without you). Primed for the second set, they tackle the complexities of "Help>Slipknot!>Franklin's" with heart and ease. It's clear there will be no stopping their flow - Bobby and Brent hanging in for a fantastic pre-Drums "Jam" and Jerry and Bobby in the zone on a not-to-be-missed melodic "Space." Not a skipper in the whole lot! Dave's Picks Volume 27 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*. *Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Stoked!  This is a great show, one of the best of the year, IMO.  Fall tour '83 was strong.  I love those two shows in Santa Fe, as well. 9/10/83 and 9/11/83

With regards to the latest pick and Reading from the taping compendium - i have listened to the show, but don't remember it. The below triggered my memory.

“Citizens of Boise, submit or perish - you are a conquered people!” 

Stoked!  This is a great show, one of the best of the year, IMO.  Fall tour '83 was strong.  I love those two shows in Santa Fe, as well. 9/10/83 and 9/11/83

And, the St. Stephen break-out at MSG fall of '83. I caught the Hartford one and the whole place had a HUGE anticipatory vibe during the Space. Similar 2nd set to the MSG show, as well. Still gives me chills to listen to it. I always found it a bit odd that the tune had only been "shelved"  for 4 years, too!

I'm stoked as well. '81-'85 is criminally under-represented in the official releases. I know some of it is due to not having all the shows in the vault on SBD format (6/18/83 SPAC comes to mind) but still...

September '83 has some killer moments - the Santa Fe shows you mentioned, Boise, and I've always loved the first night (9/6) at Red Rocks. Pre Drums set 2 is amazing.

46 years ago today: 7/18/72, Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ

Saw a post from Scott about this on Facebook and it reminded today was the anniversary of the show. My all-time favorite of the shows that have not been released. Many Deadheads consider first sets to be just warmups, and "all the action" is in the 2nd set - meaning a long psychedelic jam in a Dark Star, Other One, etc.

Not me. I'm a songs guy. I love the Garcia/Hunter catalog, and I love it when Bobby is fired up as well. This show's first set is not to be missed. Killer versions of Me and My Uncle (!), Bird Song, and Black-Throated Wind. The early Stella Blue (with the "can't keep from crying" lyric still intact) is also one of my faves.

And yes, the second set features a highly-rated Truckin' > Dark Star > Comes a Time sequence that is also excellent. 

Get some here: https://archive.org/details/gd1972-07-18.sbd.miller.32878.flac16/gd72-07-18d2t02.flac

Saw a post from Scott about this on Facebook and it reminded today was the anniversary of the show. My all-time favorite of the shows that have not been released. Many Deadheads consider first sets to be just warmups, and "all the action" is in the 2nd set - meaning a long psychedelic jam in a Dark Star, Other One, etc.

Not me. I'm a songs guy. I love the Garcia/Hunter catalog, and I love it when Bobby is fired up as well. This show's first set is not to be missed. Killer versions of Me and My Uncle (!), Bird Song, and Black-Throated Wind. The early Stella Blue (with the "can't keep from crying" lyric still intact) is also one of my faves.

And yes, the second set features a highly-rated Truckin' > Dark Star > Comes a Time sequence that is also excellent. 

Get some here: https://archive.org/details/gd1972-07-18.sbd.miller.32878.flac16/gd72-07-18d2t02.flac

:thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

Read the latest Dead book - the one from 95 on --- it wasn't that bad, I guess it just confirms all the rumors that was always being tossed around. If  a 1/4 of the stuff about Phil's wife is true in the book, I can't imagine having to deal with her. The author does take some unneeded pot-shots at Phil, I can see why he didn't want to talk to the author. If anyone came out in a poor light in the book, it was definitely the Lesh's. But again, if true - the Lesh's pulled some shitty stuff.

Once Garcia died, I didn't pay much attention to the scene, besides Ratdog - so it was nice to read about the early Phil and Friends and Other Ones incarnations. 

It was also nice reading about the Fare Thee Well shows.

Lastly - Between Dead & Co. and Phil doing his own thing - it seems like everyone is happy, now - so that's a good thing. 

Read the latest Dead book - the one from 95 on --- it wasn't that bad, I guess it just confirms all the rumors that was always being tossed around. If  a 1/4 of the stuff about Phil's wife is true in the book, I can't imagine having to deal with her. The author does take some unneeded pot-shots at Phil, I can see why he didn't want to talk to the author. If anyone came out in a poor light in the book, it was definitely the Lesh's. But again, if true - the Lesh's pulled some shitty stuff.

I definitely do not want to read this book, its got too much negativity for my tastes and I don't want to support that.  I am also out of the rumor loop so I've never heard any specific shady thing that the Lesh's have done.  Would you mind giving me just one example of something they have done or have been rumored to have done that is shady so I can know what people are talking about without having to sort through the trash?