I believe I saw some talk about this on another message board last night. I think that is about what they came up with. 

I think Kidd Candelario was also mentioned. I wonder if they left off Betty's name due to the disputes they have had with her in the past?

This is from the Dead Essays Blog:

None of our tapes from '73/74 seem to be Bear's work - apparently after the hassles of fall '72, Bear became more a 'behind-the-scenes' equipment tech rather than the on-site sound mixer. All of our tapes from '73 and '74 were made by Betty Cantor or Kidd Candelario. (Generally Kidd's tapes were kept by the Dead and went into the Vault; she kept her tapes from '73, and they were eventually salvaged by Dead traders.)
  • Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greenfield does great work. I have his Garcia bio, Bill Graham's and Bear's and they're all worth the time.

Greenfield does great work. I have his Garcia bio, Bill Graham's and Bear's and they're all worth the time.

Pretty disappointed in Bear's book really. Not much in it I hadn't heard before, seemed to just skim the surface. I suppose that's a consequence of being both notorious and reclusive, but what Greenfield came up with didn't warrant a book. Good writer tho I suppose.

I'll be up both for both nights --- originally it was going to be a bunch of us -- now it's just me and my wife. Family stuff got in the way of many.

The wife and I do love our kids --- but they will survive...

I was just listening to Alpine 6/22/85. I REALLY love June '85, and that little Midwest run (Alpine, Riverbend, Blossom) are some cherished moments for me. I was such a fan boy then.  :hyper

I saw an article the other day about some new post 95 GD book. It seems the author is going after dirt on Phil and his wife. I bet he is not too happy about that. 

I'd be there my touring friends planned Telluride bluegrass fest about a year ago...So I'm in Telluride and can't believe the number of deadheads here. I'd say every 20th tshirt is dead related.

The only people I've ever met who did not get into bluegrass because of Jerry are bluegrass musicians. 

Thoughts on the Alpine 2nd night: 6/24/18:

Set 1:

Music Never Stopped

Easy Answers

Alabama Getaway

Big River

Jack Straw

Black Muddy River

Friend of the Devil

Bird Song

Set 2:

The Weight

Shakedown Street

Althea

China Cat Sunflower >

I Know You Rider

Drums

Space

All Along the Watchtower

Standing on the Moon

Sugar Magnolia

Encore: One More Saturday Night.

The show started out with promise, but the 2nd song (Easy Answers) killed any momentum. Alabama Getaway sort of brought it back. I'm not the biggest fan of that song - it just seems like a bland mid tempo rocker suitable for a Jimmy Buffet concert. Dad rock at its finest. 

I was psyched to hear Big River, but it was so clunky and slow that I ended up irritated. It used to be a fine showcase for Jerry's hot country licks, but Mayer doesn't have those in his arsenal, so it just kind of floundered. Saw a couple redditors say it was the best Dead & Co version yet, which made me sad, because it paled in comparison to what I'm used to.

Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) came on for the final three songs of the 1st set. I loved his guest spot. I've been reading on Reddit that people hated his falsetto on Black Muddy River (and because of it, it was the worst show they've ever done. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??? OMG), so what do I know. For me, it was fresh and interesting. Bird Song was amazing. The high point of the whole show for me, and the only spot where it seemed that things were falling apart and being rearranged together again at the same time. It was exciting. 

2nd set was fine, but songs went on a bit too long. The Weight is kind of a clunky 2nd set opener. Althea wore out its welcome for me. John M’s guitar wankery tried to prolong the climax with higher and higher deedly deedly deedly triplets, and I'm just not into it. 

China > Rider was good. 

Overall I enjoyed myself and I’m happy I scratched that itch, but I can't imagine going to another Dead & Co show. 

As for Alpine - holy shit did I forget what a clusterfuck that place is. I was staying at Bark River campground, which offered a shuttle that left the campground at 5. It's only 24 miles away from Alpine, but because of the traffic clusterfuck, it took 2 hours to finally land in the lot. I saw a dude with a flat-top and aviator glasses who said "Shrooms?" which made me laugh right at him. OK Copper. The crazy thing is, there were still tons of people in the lot (show was supposed to start at 7) making their way to the entry gates. That whole arrangement was another mess. We thought we were making/pushing/getting pushed towards a security gate, only to end up at a waist-high fence. So we hopped it and went through security. We made our way down the steep hill, parking ourselves about 40 feet from the front of the lawn, a bit to the right of center. Decent view. Great sound. People were still coming in 1/2 way through, and we ended up getting jostled enough that the people I parked next to ended up about 12 feet away.

Getting back to the campground... I think the show ended around 11:30 or so. We got to our bus, and I ended up leaning my head against the window and passing out. I don't think we got out of the lot until 1:30 or so, and then it took another hour to get back to the campground. We crashed, got up at the crack of dawn and headed home. 

Had fun, but that's it for this other one. 

Alpine definitely was a cluster-fuck. Luckily we got up there early on Friday, set up camp and then headed to the lot around 3 pm. We got there around 1 pm on Saturday -- neither day was an issue getting in.

We left during Sugar Magnolia on Saturday (not noticing that Weir took a swing at his mic. stand) - figuring One More Sat. would be the encore - and we zipped right out and was asleep by midnight at our campsite. Friday we didn't make it back till closer to 2 am.

We didn't have any issues with security - though I did see someone get busted for selling pipes. No one even came up to me to offer anything -- my wife told me because I look like a narc. On Friday a couple of kids (10 year old's or so) were sitting by us in the lot -- they were selling stickers to everyone around us and they never even came up to us -- again my wife said 'even the 10 year old's think you are narc.'

I thought the Friday show was better than the Saturday show -- esp. the 2nd Set. We got in somewhat early and got a decent spot in the lawn. Thought the drums were too low in the mix - but otherwise I thought the show sounded pretty great. 

The band definitely had some clunky transitions and Touch of Grey was a train wreck - but I give them an A for effort. 

Saturday, I had pavilion seats. Nothing stood out and we had no idea who the guy was that was sitting in with band. He was okay - but it didn't really resonant with me. Definitely a interesting take of Black Muddy River. The 2nd set was somewhat solid, but it seemed they took more chances on Friday.

Even with all the poor logistics - it was a fun weekend. Ran into some people that I didn't know were going to be up there - so that was fun. The strangers I met were all great, too. Over the entire weekend, I didn't encounter one asshole.

Hell, even the two Wisconsin DNR wardens who met us at the campground entrance at 2 am, each with a hand resting on their holstered gun, were pleasant. Luckily we kept or camping registration with us, while one was checking the registration out the other one was doing the curiosity flash light search of our car.  

2nd Set from Night 1

Set 2: [9:23- 11:15]

Viola Lee Blues Verse 1

Estimated Prophet  >

Uncle Johns Band  >

China Doll >

Viola Lee Blues Verse 2 >

Drums >

Space >

The Wheel >

A Hard Rains A Gonna Fall >

Viola Lee Blues Verse 3 >

Goin' Down the Road Feeelin' Bad

Encore: [11:17-11:21]

Ripple

Would have loved to get to the lot earlier (and left earlier too), but such is the life of shuttle reliance. Bark River had a ton of heads there, ranging from old farts to crusty road warriors to backwards hat bros. They had a burger stand up and running when we got back and that burnt thing was just what I needed before sleeping on the hard ground. 

Yeah --- I didn't want to deal with buses, because knowing our  luck somehow we would have missed it. The wife and I had a deal - I kept my head on Friday and she on Saturday - it worked out great.

Friends of mine did a campground/bus thing and they came to the lot around 4:30 or so --- forget where they camped, though.

One of the main reasons why we got back to our camp ground so late on Friday was because highway patrol would not let us go down the street we needed to go on to get our campsite. The re-route took for ever.

The officer guarding the same street on Saturday -  let us pass. 

There is a secret back road into Alpine, but I'll never tell. Probably doesn't work for most destinations tho.

Somewhat related, I still don't like Dead & Co., partially because of Mayer. But I watched most of a recent show he did with JRAD and it/he was fantastic. They brought out the best of him, and kept his negative tendencies (singing, generic blues playing) in check. Anyway, there are worse ways to spend a weekend than with 40,000 hippies at Alpine Valley.

No one even came up to me to offer anything -- my wife told me because I look like a narc. On Friday a couple of kids (10 year old's or so) were sitting by us in the lot -- they were selling stickers to everyone around us and they never even came up to us -- again my wife said 'even the 10 year old's think you are narc.'

:rotfl

There is a secret back road into Alpine, but I'll never tell. Probably doesn't work for most destinations tho.

They made all entrants pass through a single entry point into the parking lot - the main entrance. They had all the others closed. It sucked.

I'm looking at Google Maps right now, and unless your secret back road involves climbing the ski hills to get to the resort, there's no other way in.

It is so secret that Google doesn't even know...

Townline Road is the road we always use -- most direct route to our Camp Site (Pinewood at Kettle Marine South).

It is so secret that Google doesn't even know...

Townline Road is the road we always use -- most direct route to our Camp Site (Pinewood at Kettle Marine South).

That's the one our bus was coming down, but that entrance to Alpine was closed (except it was staffed, so maybe they opened the gates for VIPs only...)

That's the one our bus was coming down, but that entrance to Alpine was closed (except it was staffed, so maybe they opened the gates for VIPs only...)

Townline leads into the Alpine Valley Resort - not the actual Music Theater.

People in the know or VIP's may get to park there, though - and then walk over to the theater -- it seems to be connected.

Townline leads into the Alpine Valley Resort - not the actual Music Theater.

People in the know or VIP's may get to park there, though - and then walk over to the theater -- it seems to be connected.

It connects (via a left turn) to the Music Theater too. Back when I had disposable income we were routed that way (in and out) for a show I went to in 2007.