• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPS did circles to get the set to me, yesterday  --- haven't listened to it, yet --- but they really outdid themselves with the packaging. Great looking set. 

Even my 9 year old was impressed.

Yeah - the start of the Bertha was tough. 

So far, I only got through the 1st two disc's of the 1st show. The mix definitely gets better -- I think Billy sounds great through out and Keith, too. 

I got the PNW box today (after I came home from jury duty - seems about right!). Man these guys go insane with this packaging. Nice little stash box - which I would never actually use haha.

Looking forward so much to digging into this one. I've said it had the potential to be one of the best boxes ever.

I got the PNW box today (after I came home from jury duty - seems about right!). Man these guys go insane with this packaging. Nice little stash box - which I would never actually use haha.

Looking forward so much to digging into this one. I've said it had the potential to be one of the best boxes ever.

I'm taking my time with this one. Will probably spend a couple weeks listening to each show. 

The first Vancouver show is great, albeit with a rough start. Birdsong is outstanding. 

My box was delivered to my office yesterday but I was out for the Jewish holiday. I'm in today and it is still sitting unopened. Good thing I have my car with me, that would be a bear to carry home on the train :) 

I'm going to try to resist having my first listens of each show be on my phone or iPod. These shows are going to deserve the full home system, but that's going to take me a lot longer to get through. We'll see if I can resist. 

My box was delivered to my office yesterday but I was out for the Jewish holiday. I'm in today and it is still sitting unopened. Good thing I have my car with me, that would be a bear to carry home on the train :)

I'm going to try to resist having my first listens of each show be on my phone or iPod. These shows are going to deserve the full home system, but that's going to take me a lot longer to get through. We'll see if I can resist. 

Times like these are when I'm actually glad I don't have a phone to listen to music. I just hope these old speakers can handle it haha.

Pretty cool stuff --- nice to see that Phil (and Bob) still supporting Head Count. Nice version of Shakedown, too --- I can see Chris Robinson doing great with this take of the tune --  Nicki Bluhm was great, though.

"Shakedown Street" + "Get By" | Phil Lesh & Friends Ft. Talib Kweli | 9/7/18 | The Apollo Theater

https://youtu.be/kCXN7Xgh-kY

The 6/22/73 PITB is legendary.

That Playin is 18 minutes, pretty good, mellow, restrained. Not quite the monster that the 47 minute version from 5/21/74 is, which is pretty driving, adventurous, explosive throughout, despite the length. I really haven't spent enough time with Playin to separate different versions or standouts though. 

Overall enjoying this set as much as expected. The clarity of the instruments is amazing. On the downside, some of the tunes are slowed down too much. Bertha sounds like They Love Each other. Big RR Blues sounds like GDTRFB. Deal and Brown Eyed Women really suffer from the pace. It's like foreshadowing modern Bob Weir. Wonder if slowing these tunes down had to do with the Wall, and just getting caught up in how amazing each individual note sounds. For some tunes, it really works well though, as with Jerry's slide playing on Row Jimmy. Also China Doll, Ship of Fools, He's Gone, Roses and other slow tunes really shine.

Has anyone read that Barlow book?

It is entertaining and worth a read. A lot of tales of all the amazing things he's done, famous people he's dealt with. Hard to tell what's real vs self-aggrandizing. But well written and good to get a semi-outsiders perspective on the Dead.

I'm just going to get it out there once and for all......I really like the song "You're Afraid Of Love, When Push Comes To Shove."

There's no doubt it's a close cousin to things like Ramble On Rose, and while it might be "recycled" (for lack of a better word) it's still a fine little tune. I saw a number of them in that 2+ year period. It's kind of a shame that the '89 Alpine version was the last one.