• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now playing on Sirius GD channel is MSG 9-20-90. One of my favorites, probably the best single second set I ever caught. Also a lot of GD type great things happened that night to make it one of the most memorable nights for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's arguable that that show is the best of the Post-Brent years. That first few days with Bruce is as inventive, exploratory music as they ever did after Brent passed. It's like they hit for the cycle and had 2 grand slams in that show. Sadly (in my view) it really peaked right then and there. Europe wasn't as good, NYE was a good one, Spring and Summer was good, but it really was "Downhill From Here" after September '90. Sigh.

I think it's arguable that that show is the best of the Post-Brent years. That first few days with Bruce is as inventive, exploratory music as they ever did after Brent passed. It's like they hit for the cycle and had 2 grand slams in that show. Sadly (in my view) it really peaked right then and there. Europe wasn't as good, NYE was a good one, Spring and Summer was good, but it really was "Downhill From Here" after September '90. Sigh.

Totally agree about 9-20. It was a synchronicity of good fortune that got me down from Boston that day to 13th row dead center Arista seats. Every listen I give to this show reaffirms how magical the night was. There's never a moment of "well, that sounded better that night than it does now.'

I'll differ on what the future held for the band. I thought the Boston '91 run was fantastic. There was no "9-20-90" show (but hey, 9-20 stands alone), but I thought the entire run was spectacular, as did everyone I went with. I always consider Boston '91 as their last great run. But I get that YMMV.  

Rapidly starting to think that 07 July 1989 is the best show of 1989...

Solid show, but I'll take 10.9.89 followed by 10.8.89 followed by 10.23.89. Lots of great stuff to choose from, for sure, in '89 though.....

9/20/90 was a great show and the final night of the run that year and i had been waiting for China Cat> I know you rider and when they started the second set with Truckin, i was like oh cool start but there goes my getting China Cat> I know you rider but boom they did it right after Truckin'. Saw my first China Cat> I know you rider at MSG in 1979. I beg to differ in suggesting it was the peak of the post Brent years as i dont think it was even the best post Brent show at MSG and one example would be the 1991 show with Branford. I went to 7 of the shows in Europe in October, 1990 and i thought at least 2 if not 3 were even better than the MSG run as Bruce got increasingly comfortable with playing in the band.  Also agree with prior poster that 6/17/91 was a magical show and we were right up front for that one and another show i saw was also great on 6/14 in DC that got an official release. Also loved 7/7/89 noted above as a great show and the only time out of 209 Grateful Dead shows that i saw Jerry singing back up vocals on Lovelight like in the old days. The Alpine Valley 3 night run in 89 probably my favorite ones of that year, though i did not make Hampton for the Warlocks and among the 5 at Continental Arena i saw i thought 10/16 was a really great one too. 

9/20/90 was a great show and the final night of the run that year and i had been waiting for China Cat> I know you rider and when they started the second set with Truckin, i was like oh cool start but there goes my getting China Cat> I know you rider but boom they did it right after Truckin'. Saw my first China Cat> I know you rider at MSG in 1979. I beg to differ in suggesting it was the peak of the post Brent years as i dont think it was even the best post Brent show at MSG and one example would be the 1991 show with Branford. I went to 7 of the shows in Europe in October, 1990 and i thought at least 2 if not 3 were even better than the MSG run as Bruce got increasingly comfortable with playing in the band.  Also agree with prior poster that 6/17/91 was a magical show and we were right up front for that one and another show i saw was also great on 6/14 in DC that got an official release. Also loved 7/7/89 noted above as a great show and the only time out of 209 Grateful Dead shows that i saw Jerry singing back up vocals on Lovelight like in the old days. The Alpine Valley 3 night run in 89 probably my favorite ones of that year, though i did not make Hampton for the Warlocks and among the 5 at Continental Arena i saw i thought 10/16 was a really great one too. 

If I remember (from tapes), wasn't Jerry's voice pretty shot for those '90 Europe shows? Also, hasn't Jerry always done back up vocals on Lovelight?Like the "shine on me" stuff...?

2.10.1989 rarely gets mentioned in best of 89 lists...I think it is right up there.

The 7.7.1989 lovelight was cool because the song formally ended, and then weir started singing "shine on me" again thus restarting the song for another 3 minutes.

My favorite 89 Dark Star is the 10.16 version.

My favorite 89 Dark Star is the 10.16 version.

Nice one. Check out the 10.26.89 Miami one, too, if you haven't. Estimated->Blow Away->Dark Star->Drums...the whole show is really fine, actually. Foolish Heart opener.....and the Blow Away ("can't you spare just one goddamned minute!" and after the "wait a minute!" comes the wending into DS. A really exploratory one, at that, particularly the back end).

On Europe 90 tour Jerry's voice was solid until the Halloween show but was great in Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Paris (one of those Paris shows was an official release, maybe the 30 disc one for 50th anniversary). Jerry did not sing back up on Lovelight when Weir brought it back out. The JFK show is the only one I saw where he sang and I must have seen 25 or so. Might have done it other time(s) but not that I am aware and certainly rarely at best. I also loved the 10/16 Darkstar but no doubt partial as it was my first. The Miami one is stellar.

On Europe 90 tour Jerry's voice was solid until the Halloween show but was great in Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Paris (one of those Paris shows was an official release, maybe the 30 disc one for 50th anniversary). Jerry did not sing back up on Lovelight when Weir brought it back out. The JFK show is the only one I saw where he sang and I must have seen 25 or so. Might have done it other time(s) but not that I am aware and certainly rarely at best. I also loved the 10/16 Darkstar but no doubt partial as it was my first. The Miami one is stellar.

I've seen a ton of Lovelight's as well, and could have sworn I'd seen Garcia doing background vocals at the climactic ending parts before (not all the time, but at  times, and I was not at that JFK show)> Wild.

I've seen a ton of Lovelight's as well, and could have sworn I'd seen Garcia doing background vocals at the climactic ending parts before (not all the time, but at times, and I was not at that JFK show)> Wild.

Listen on the internet archive to the second half of a few you saw and report back!

Listen on the internet archive to the second half of a few you saw and report back!

I listened to SPAC '85 and Alpine '88 at lunch (small sample size...., and nada). But STILL!! Ha. Could have sworn....

• 2 weeks later...

Well...I sure wish I could have attended the entire February March 1973 tour...

Did you catch some shows then? 

Those March '73 set lists became so monstrous (18-20 tunes in the 1st sets)  they started breaking into 3 sets in May (only to go back to massive set lists through a lot the summer)!

Nope....my first show was in 1988...Alpine....Saw them until 1993....Became too difficult to see Jerry / Vince...And other bands (Trey) was really worth seeing more than Vince.

I generally feel that Vince was the gravedigger for Jerry and the Grateful Dead. Musically, I don't think he was that interesting or impressive but really made it difficult was how joined Jerry in heroin. Jerry brought himself to it. But Vince joined him.

Oh to ponder about how Jerry could have aged into his 60s switching to only acoustic shows....