My very first Dead show: 9/23/82. Thirty-six years ago today. That's kind of hard to believe.

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-09-23.sbd.miller.108973.flac16

Alabama Getaway-> Greatest Story Ever Told, Peggy-O-> Little Red Rooster, Tennessee Jed, Mama Tried-> Mexicali Blues, Althea, Let It Grow

Touch Of Gray-> Lost Sailor-> Saint Of Circumstance-> Ship of Fools, Throwing Stones-> Drums-> The Wheel-> The Other One-> Wharf Rat-> Around & Around-> Johnny B. Goode, E: It's All Over Now Baby Blue

​Those early 80s versions of Touch & Throwin' remain my favorites...especially for the original Throwin' lyrics of "come waltz with the stars" and the less pop-sounding, more rocking Touch.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My very first Dead show: 9/23/82. Thirty-six years ago today. That's kind of hard to believe.

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-09-23.sbd.miller.108973.flac16

Alabama Getaway-> Greatest Story Ever Told, Peggy-O-> Little Red Rooster, Tennessee Jed, Mama Tried-> Mexicali Blues, Althea, Let It Grow

Touch Of Gray-> Lost Sailor-> Saint Of Circumstance-> Ship of Fools, Throwing Stones-> Drums-> The Wheel-> The Other One-> Wharf Rat-> Around & Around-> Johnny B. Goode, E: It's All Over Now Baby Blue

​Those early 80s versions of Touch & Throwin' remain my favorites...especially for the original Throwin' lyrics of "come waltz with the stars" and the less pop-sounding, more rocking Touch.

T Stones into the Drums. That's not something you ever see. As a matter of fact, this show and the very next one were the only times that was ever done.

Fall 1982 they hadn't figured out what to do with Throwin' Stones.

I really like the 13 April l1983 version in Burlington.

My oldest daughter is applying to college right now and Boulder  and UVM are her two top picks.

Boulder 3 September 1972 is pretty underrated.

Speaking of underrated, 18 July 1976 starting at Lazy Lightning is phenomenal.

Fall 1982 they hadn't figured out what to do with Throwin' Stones.

I was at the 9-18-82 show in Boston and they played it coming out of space.  

It was fun to hear a new song and to see them continue to figure it out, both in terms of the song itself and where to slot it into the live shows.  

T Stones into the Drums. That's not something you ever see. As a matter of fact, this show and the very next one were the only times that was ever done.

I would have rather had Space. I always skip Drums! 

^good set list, except that Little red rooster is too soon in the 1st set for going to take a pee. :lol .

:lol

Saw T Stones into drums in New Haven that fall (9.23.82)

Feel Like a Franklin's

I recall seeing a number of those in the 87-88 period. They seemed to fit well together as a set 1 opener.

5/1/81 is a really nice one, set 2 opener.

Stranger, Franklin's is on Dead Set but from two different shows in '80. It fit really nicely on the album. I wonder if that was the impetus for trying the pairing live.

I guess I wasn't aware of that. It is a REAL nice edit. I had to go look it up - Stranger > Franklin's was done 3 times during the run that produced Dead Set, but they didn't use any of those.  :twitchsmile

Here's a super weird piece of trivia I just got from Charlie Miller: during the October 1980 Radio City run (8 shows, material from which Dead Set got pulled) there was not one version of Eyes played. EYES - IN 8 SHOWS. 

That's fucking weird.

Listening to 4/1/88's When Push Comes To Shove -- yeah, how can anyone not like the tune? Such fun!

I did Atlanta to Worcester that spring and the 4.1.88 is likely my favorite one out of them.....The 1/2-Step, Jack Straw opener was fantastic. Didn't care much for the Ballad, here or the Hampton one.

Deadset is an interesting release. I really like it. But, looking at that whole tour through warf saenger and radio city, there were markedly better performances...

Reckoning still floors me every time for the the rich, warm  and basically perfect recording of those stellar performances. I watched Dead Ahead recently and man that 4 song selection from the acoustic set is fantastic.  Jerry was all stoked, picking like crazy on Bird Song, gleefully doing the playful vocal response parts to Weir on On The Road Again, nailing To Lay Me Down and  beaming a huge smile in response to the crowd's joy to hear Ripple!

Deadset could have been the same, but for me, its not that great, mostly due to the weird edits they did, shortening songs.  Editing out stuff from the middle of a song on a Dead live album seems to me like it should have been an obvious thing that you just don't do.

http://deaddisc.com/disc/Dead_Set.htm