would love a great recording of the SPAC 83 as i was there for that killer Dew and an overall great show!  Definitely in the top 5 or so Dews i saw live.

I was able to catch that show, as well. All of the SPACs actually.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO idea, though I know it rained a lot. I was way, way out there in those days... 

I just remember it clearing up as soon as the music started and there was a dude in front of us rolling a huge joint and his herb was falling all over the ground and we were, like squirrels, scooping up all the excess....

The St. Stephen jam from 15 October 1977 still blows my mind....

any other similarly exceptional jams on par with that from 1977?

How about the NFA from Cornell?  Last time I listened, I was blown away how hot the jamming was. I like it even better than the Englishtown version.  If its your cup of tea the Dancin' from Cornell is hot too.  Let It Grow from DeKalb?

How about the NFA from Cornell?  Last time I listened, I was blown away how hot the jamming was. I like it even better than the Englishtown version.  If its your cup of tea the Dancin' from Cornell is hot too.  Let It Grow from DeKalb?

Likely my favorite Dancin'. The sound quality plus the vibe and funk to it are unmatched, imo.

Started listening to that new box set from the Pacific NW ('73-'74). Love it so far, Phil's bass really comes thru.

And in unrelated new, please file under Philco.... Phil Lesh and his band played Thalia Hall  in Chicago Thursday night. They played some great relics from China Cat Sunflower, Dark Star, Uncle Johns Band, Cassidy and Scarlet Begonias. And the encore, of course was Misunderstood. Say wha? Yup Wilco gets covered by Phil Lesh and the Terrapin Family Band. It was a very good cover, all things considered with somewhere around 20 "nothings" Many Deadheads were confused. There were seven of us who were jumping out of our skulls.

And in unrelated new, please file under Philco.... Phil Lesh and his band played Thalia Hall  in Chicago Thursday night. They played some great relics from China Cat Sunflower, Dark Star, Uncle Johns Band, Cassidy and Scarlet Begonias. And the encore, of course was Misunderstood. Say wha? Yup Wilco gets covered by Phil Lesh and the Terrapin Family Band. It was a very good cover, all things considered with somewhere around 20 "nothings" Many Deadheads were confused. There were seven of us who were jumping out of our skulls.

OMFG,  :blink

That's as cool as it gets. Gewee - who sang Misunderstood? The song itself would seem to be something in Phil's wheelhouse - a bit of alt-country mixed in with some noise. I'll be scouring Archive in the next few days!

And in unrelated new, please file under Philco.... Phil Lesh and his band played Thalia Hall in Chicago Thursday night. They played some great relics from China Cat Sunflower, Dark Star, Uncle Johns Band, Cassidy and Scarlet Begonias. And the encore, of course was Misunderstood. Say wha? Yup Wilco gets covered by Phil Lesh and the Terrapin Family Band. It was a very good cover, all things considered with somewhere around 20 "nothings" Many Deadheads were confused. There were seven of us who were jumping out of our skulls.

Very cool. My bet on this one is a return nod for when Wilco on 10/30/2014 ended their three night run at the Capitol Theater in NY with a crowd sung Ripple knowing Lesh was starting a run the next night among the 30 or so shows Phil did at the Cap in 2014. Would love to hear the Misunderstood.

Yeah that would have been cool to see. 

I found the below a bit funny - apparently who ever sent the set list into setlist.com was not one of the seven jumping out of their skulls. Nice placement of Misunderstood, too.

1. China Cat Sunflowerr

2. Mr Charlie

3. Looks Like Rain

4. Throwing Stones

5. Jack Straw

6. Black Peter

7. Help on the Way

8. Casey Jones

9. Jam

10. Slipknot

11. Cassidy

12. Reuben and Cherise

13. Cassidy

14. Jam

15. Dark Star

16. (random cover that's not listed)

17. Scarlet Begonias

This setlist is courtesy of Setlist.fm

Take up any inaccuracies with them.

Hope this helps!

level 1

I was reading the setlist this morning and thought it was an abbreviation fro Please Don't Let me Be Misunderstood.

Very cool.

Phil guested with Wilco on Ripple back in the late 90's - Leroy era I believe. Some California music fest I think. There is a crappy youtube out there.

Right below the partial clip of "Misunderstood"....

The echo during the 'nothings' was a nice touch --- and that set list I posted earlier was sure way off.

Yeah, it is a nice touch. I'll need to  search for a complete video later.

They've also got 3 guitarists now, moving the drummer onto guitar....

Used to love seeing Phil and his various lineups, particularly the Q. He's at a point where he is certainly entitled to do whatever he wants, but have to say it's been a few years since I've had any interest in his music or lineups. H seems to be playing with the local bar band kids, including his own. I'm sure it's fun for him, but doesn't fill my Dead fix.

I did stop by his restaurant 2 years ago while in town with the family. Saw him do story time for the kids, read Where the Wild Things Are, among other classics. Pretty weird. Then his pickup band did a set, which was fun. It was free, so certainly worth the trip to the place. Food was ok, overpriced. Nice venue on the water in a seedy part of San Rafael, right around the corner from their old studio, Club Front. Shakedown Street vibes in the area for sure.